Author Topic: Sam Cassell on Lakers short list  (Read 477 times)

RJ87, green_bballers13, No Nickname and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Sam Cassell on Lakers short list
« on: Today at 01:46:14 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
Mazz could have several vacancies on his staff (provided he's around, but that's a story for another thread  ;))

Re: Sam Cassell on Lakers short list
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:32:30 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
What's the use in having a lot of "top assistants" if they're all going to leave after one season?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:35:23 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be
What's the use in having a lot of "top assistants" if they're all going to leave after one season?

Better than having bad assistants stick around leading you to 41-41 records.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:47:36 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Of course. I'm just wondering if there are guys who are good assistants but who would be willing to stick around for a few years.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:30:15 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55

Of course. I'm just wondering if there are guys who are good assistants but who would be willing to stick around for a few years.

Not if a better opportunity presents itself.  I would venture almost all assistants dream of becoming head coach - and the percentage goes up even more amongst the top assistants.

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:40:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886
I am not sure Sam Cassell is the right guy to coach that Lakers team.  He would be better off staying in Boston, but I get the desire to have a shot at being a head coach.

There will be a Mazzulla coaching tree starting very soon.

« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:15:16 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
lakers are stupid

its not a coach issue out there

and jj redick? seriously?
u think thats gonna work?

« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:40:15 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991

Not if a better opportunity presents itself.  I would venture almost all assistants dream of becoming head coach - and the percentage goes up even more amongst the top assistants.

Honestly, if you have an assistant who doesn’t aspire to be a head coach, he’s probably not the best assistant if he’s under 60.  (And even then, those guys would still take a shot at it if they could).

« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:22:07 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Can/do teams sign assistants to, say, 3-year deals that can't be terminated? Meaning they have to stay in that assistant position for the full 3 years, and couldn't leave for a head-coaching gig during that period? Or is that just something no assistant would want to commit to?

I'm just thinking out loud, because it seems ridiculous for a team to have to replace its top 2-3 assistants every season.

— C.S. Lewis