Author Topic: Who's available that we can get at C  (Read 48889 times)

Re: Who's available that we can get at C
« Reply #300 on: January 08, 2020, 04:28:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Gary Washburn predicts Celtics would part ways with Poirier to sign a buyout center:

https://nesn.com/2020/01/nba-writer-predicts-celtics-to-make-roster-move-at-this-players-expense/amp/

The Boston Globe’s Gary Washburn predicted last week the Celtics will sign a center in order to bolster their chances of succeeding in the NBA playoffs. However, they’ll need to open a roster space in order to add a free-agent big man, and Washburn believes they’ll part ways with the 26-year-old rookie center.

“The Celtics will get a big man in the buyout market,” Washburn wrote in his “Sunday Basketball Notes” column. “Boston will seek another center to help for the playoff run and will get one at the expense of Vincent Poirier. Poirier hasn’t worked out as expected and the Celtics will seek to use his roster spot on a rim protector.”

Given what we've seen from Poirier, I have zero qualms with going this direction.
Agree. He has shown, at least from what I have seen from world championships, the preseason and during the season, that other than Tacko, he is the least talented and least NBA worthy.

It is a bit of a mistake that wastes $5.1 million if they just cut him but, from every other perspective, Poirier has to go to add another center.

Any chance a team out there that has interest in a 2nd round pick would take Poirier on for a small TPE? The total 'mistake' is $5.1M, but he is actually only due $2.6M next season. That seems about the going rate for 2nd rounders; maybe another teams sees something...anything in Poirier and would pull the trigger. It's be a shame to eat into next year's cap space.

Anyway, there are all sorts of big men I would rather have on the roster than Poirier (although he seems like a nice guy, and all) - including Chriss. Hopefully Stevens' comments on Time Lord mean that he will be back soon enough, but not, like, immediately.

« Reply #301 on: January 08, 2020, 09:30:25 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Celts lost badly to the Spurs.

Kanter's horrible team defense once again on full display for those who watched the Celtics broadcast.

Every time a guard switches on Kanter, Kanter will just let the guard shoot.
Kanter doesn't want to play defense on the perimeter.

But Theis played well against the Spurs.

Trade deadline is a little under a month away.

Hopefully Ainge does something this season.

« Reply #302 on: January 08, 2020, 09:46:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Kanter's horrible team defense once again on full display for those who watched the Celtics broadcast.

You realize that loss sits squarely on the shoulders of Brown, Smart, Tatum, Hayward, who's horrific defense allowed the Spurs wings/big guards to get whatever they wanted in the paint. This was not a "bigs defense lost the game" type of game. We got killed in the paint because DeRozan, Murray, Walker, Forbes and White killed the wings and guards while our bigs had to hang with Aldridge and Poetlt sitting at the three point line.

« Reply #303 on: January 08, 2020, 10:17:58 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

You realize that loss sits squarely on the shoulders of Brown, Smart, Tatum, Hayward, who's horrific defense allowed the Spurs wings/big guards to get whatever they wanted in the paint. This was not a "bigs defense lost the game" type of game. We got killed in the paint because DeRozan, Murray, Walker, Forbes and White killed the wings and guards while our bigs had to hang with Aldridge and Poetlt sitting at the three point line.

You kinda both are right. Kanter had some bad moments while it was mostly the perimeter guys who failed this game. This is the kind of game where Williams wouldve helped.

« Reply #304 on: January 08, 2020, 10:24:45 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
If you are going to play Kanter,  you might as well post him up and give him the ball. Tacko too.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #305 on: January 08, 2020, 11:41:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If you are going to play Kanter,  you might as well post him up and give him the ball. Tacko too.

yup.  :)

« Reply #306 on: January 09, 2020, 04:12:47 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

The spurs are the wrong matchup for him. They have Centers who are good at defending the post. This is why the last time we played them, Williams got the burn and wrecked havoc on them.

« Reply #307 on: January 09, 2020, 06:52:08 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

How many more games do the Celts need to lose before you admit that Kanter's bad on defense and Theis is too small for a starting Center?

Celts can get away with using Theis against some teams, but not all teams because Theis is just too small.

But Kanter is really bad on defense when he's forced to switch and has to defend the guards and wings on the perimeter.

« Reply #308 on: January 10, 2020, 01:08:56 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Harry Giles for Semi  works in the trade machine. We may have to do something. Semi works for WCS as well. Give up a pick get it done Danny.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #309 on: January 10, 2020, 01:21:44 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Harry Giles for Semi  works in the trade machine. We may have to do something. Semi works for WCS as well. Give up a pick get it done Danny.

I'll take a flyer on Giles if we can get him on the cheap. SAC has given up on him. Maybe that's telling, maybe it's just SAC being incompetent.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #310 on: January 10, 2020, 01:59:37 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I'll take a flyer on Giles if we can get him on the cheap. SAC has given up on him. Maybe that's telling, maybe it's just SAC being incompetent.

I really like Giles, I'm surprised that they gave up on him so quickly... Given their lack of depth at the C.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #311 on: January 10, 2020, 02:01:15 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Bring back Shavlik Randolph. His 0.2 seconds playoff experience might be worth something. :-P
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #312 on: January 10, 2020, 03:23:58 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Bring back Shavlik Randolph. His 0.2 seconds playoff experience might be worth something. :-P

Might as well bring back T-Will lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #313 on: January 17, 2020, 03:45:42 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Hopefully we are not stupid enough to trade for Drumond.
I am hopeful we can get Giles from the Kings.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #314 on: February 02, 2020, 12:31:15 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Hopefully we are not stupid enough to trade for Drumond.
I am hopeful we can get Giles from the Kings.

I'm not sure Drummond would have done any better than our guys in holding Embiid to 11 tonight.

(Cue the "but Embiid played really bad so this game doesn't count" comments)  :angel:

Also, Gordon only shot 1-11, so we can definitely trade him for someone like KAT  :angel: :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D