Author Topic: Who's available that we can get at C  (Read 49454 times)

Re: Who's available that we can get at C
« Reply #285 on: January 08, 2020, 01:42:35 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
 :-\

I like Nurkic or Whiteside to man the middle.
Either I think could really give us a realistic title drive.
I’d give up Hayward for Nurkic but the salaries won’t work.
So you want the Celtics to trade for a guy that is out indefinitely with a Gordon Hayward type injury thinking he will provide a realistic shot at the title this year? Even when he probably won't be back this year or be anywhere near 100% until next year or the year after?

Recent news is Nurkic could be back post 2020 All-Star game.
Back on the court, sure. But in what condition? If it’s anything like Hayward or George, he won’t offer much this year. Let alone the huge drop our team would suffer if we shipped Hayward for him.

Long bone fractures heal better when ligaments and/or joints are not involved than injuries like ligament tears, joint dislocations, hyperextended knee, etc.

I think the injury only involved fractured leg bones.

« Reply #286 on: January 08, 2020, 03:45:45 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I like Nurkic or Whiteside to man the middle.
Either I think could really give us a realistic title drive.
I’d give up Hayward for Nurkic but the salaries won’t work.
Do you really think that with this level of play Hayward is worth as Mo Harkless + Meyers Leonard (Hassans return)?
Whiteside is literally afraid to walk away 10 feet from the rim and then guys just sink jumpers like it is practice time all night long.
Kanter can do that plus provide better offense, chemistry, and more importantly better facial hair along with a manlier voice.
Also, Hassan doesn't troll dictators on a daily base.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 04:52:22 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #287 on: January 08, 2020, 10:37:12 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gary Washburn predicts Celtics would part ways with Poirier to sign a buyout center:

https://nesn.com/2020/01/nba-writer-predicts-celtics-to-make-roster-move-at-this-players-expense/amp/

The Boston Globe’s Gary Washburn predicted last week the Celtics will sign a center in order to bolster their chances of succeeding in the NBA playoffs. However, they’ll need to open a roster space in order to add a free-agent big man, and Washburn believes they’ll part ways with the 26-year-old rookie center.

“The Celtics will get a big man in the buyout market,” Washburn wrote in his “Sunday Basketball Notes” column. “Boston will seek another center to help for the playoff run and will get one at the expense of Vincent Poirier. Poirier hasn’t worked out as expected and the Celtics will seek to use his roster spot on a rim protector.”

« Reply #288 on: January 08, 2020, 10:38:14 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Gary Washburn predicts Celtics would part ways with Poirier to sign a buyout center:

https://nesn.com/2020/01/nba-writer-predicts-celtics-to-make-roster-move-at-this-players-expense/amp/

The Boston Globe’s Gary Washburn predicted last week the Celtics will sign a center in order to bolster their chances of succeeding in the NBA playoffs. However, they’ll need to open a roster space in order to add a free-agent big man, and Washburn believes they’ll part ways with the 26-year-old rookie center.

“The Celtics will get a big man in the buyout market,” Washburn wrote in his “Sunday Basketball Notes” column. “Boston will seek another center to help for the playoff run and will get one at the expense of Vincent Poirier. Poirier hasn’t worked out as expected and the Celtics will seek to use his roster spot on a rim protector.”

Given what we've seen from Poirier, I have zero qualms with going this direction.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #289 on: January 08, 2020, 10:41:56 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah I think Poirier the logical person to go to make roster space for any addition we make on the buyout/waiver market. Either him or Green and Green has found his way on the court more.

« Reply #290 on: January 08, 2020, 10:46:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Given what we've seen from Poirier, I have zero qualms with going this direction.
Agree. He has shown, at least from what I have seen from world championships, the preseason and during the season, that other than Tacko, he is the least talented and least NBA worthy.

It is a bit of a mistake that wastes $5.1 million if they just cut him but, from every other perspective, Poirier has to go to add another center.

« Reply #291 on: January 08, 2020, 11:11:41 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

If they are getting rid of him I prefer them to do a two for one trade with some salary coming in next year.
If we don’t have ballast salary for next year we will have the same trouble getting good centers in a trade or a sign and trade as we have this year.

« Reply #292 on: January 08, 2020, 11:13:49 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
We could have had Dwight instead of poirer but Stevens avoids players with “baggage” like the plague

« Reply #293 on: January 08, 2020, 11:24:44 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
We could have had Dwight instead of poirer but Stevens avoids players with “baggage” like the plague

It's not Stevens. It's Ainge, and I think he made the right call.

I know it's early in the season and it seems like things are going well for LA, but let's watch it play out fully before we determine that Dwight has figured out the teammate thing after his previous 5 team stops.

And I think Thomas, Smart, and Turner all had some "baggage" too. Ainge avoids players who have baggage that are detrimental to the team.

« Reply #294 on: January 08, 2020, 11:55:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
After the chemistry disaster of last season you wanted Dwight? Okay....

He's worked out great for LAL, but I wouldn't assume he would do the same in BOS. He already played with Kemba remember, and that Hornets team couldn't wait to ship him out the door.

« Reply #295 on: January 08, 2020, 12:15:00 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
After the chemistry disaster of last season you wanted Dwight? Okay....

He's worked out great for LAL, but I wouldn't assume he would do the same in BOS. He already played with Kemba remember, and that Hornets team couldn't wait to ship him out the door.
I’m also grateful that we don’t have to watch Howard’s theatrics after every single play that he’s involved in.  It’s like because he’s getting less minutes and touches he’s trying to make up for it by attention seeking after every play he’s involved in.  Not that it affects a team but I can’t stand watching it.

« Reply #296 on: January 08, 2020, 03:30:07 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
On Zo and Bertrand, Stevens said that Timelord will not be playing basketball “anywhere in the near, near future.”  Considering Poirier is out for a while as well (and hasn’t honestly been that great to begin with), do the Cs roll the dice and getting some big man depth?

« Reply #297 on: January 08, 2020, 03:48:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
On Zo and Bertrand, Stevens said that Timelord will not be playing basketball “anywhere in the near, near future.”  Considering Poirier is out for a while as well (and hasn’t honestly been that great to begin with), do the Cs roll the dice and getting some big man depth?
Yeah, when I read up on bone marrow edema in the hip, I saw that it could be the onset of transient osteoporosis which in younger adults could cause serious long term problems. It also, could take as much as 6 months to a year for the problems to subside and get the hip back to normal

That's all speculation based solely on the bone marrow edema diagnosis but if he is going to be out long term, it could be return next season type long term depending on what is happening with that hip.

In which case, Poirier and a pick or two need to be moved for a real 2nd or 3rd string or better big man.

« Reply #298 on: January 08, 2020, 04:12:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Because our adventure with Kyrie and his baggage ended well
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #299 on: January 08, 2020, 04:20:14 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
there is almost NO ONE on the Lakers other than Kuzma Danny would want on his Celtics squad .  Its a team of head cases and problem personal to the max .