Author Topic: Where we lost this game  (Read 9559 times)

Where we lost this game
« on: March 01, 2009, 04:23:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Celtics just lost to the Pistons at home and that doesn't bother me. They are after all missing three players from their top 11 players with one of those players being one of their biggest stars. So I know they are bound to lose some games as they get healthy.

What does bother me is how they lost this game. That being, they blew it from the 4 minute mark until the end of te quarter for the last three quarters of this game. I noticed this because when I coached it was a pet peeve of mine always to win the last minutes before a break to take the momentum, to set te pace and to prove that when it counts you'll be ready to succeed.

Here's what happened today:

With 3:55 left in the 2nd quarter the score:

Boston 44 Detroit 41

At the half:

Detroit 55 Boston 47

With 4:00 left in the 3rd quarter:

Boston 66 Detroit 66

End of the 3rd:

Detroit 77 Boston 70

With 4:00 left in the 4th quarter:

Boston 89 Detroit 88

Game final:

Detroit 105 Boston 95

So for that combined 11:55 the score was:

Detroit 42 Boston 13

That's an amazing total of -29 for the last part of the last three quarters before breaks or the end of the game. That hurts. The defense fell apart, the offense had zero ball movement, tons of Pierce iso stuff, bad turnovers, bad decision making and an utter lack of poise.

And I think that's what bothered me about this game more than anything. It just appeared like the Celtics lost their oise when the Pistons ratcheted it up before the end of every quarter. After nearly two years of outstanding basketball it was just kinda shocking to me to see these guys lose it during such critical times of the. game

Re: Where we lost this game
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 04:25:38 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
couldn't close out quarters....had to expend a ton of energy getting back in the game several times...

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 04:25:55 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
All that said, if Ray and Rondo show up offensively, the Celtics probably win.  We just didn't get much from the backcourt today and that is a must when KG is out.  Everyone else played well.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Agree with all...

Also, Hermann would have been almost completely neutralized if Scal was healthy. I'm not even the world's biggest Scal fan, but he would have defended Hermann much better then the overmatched and 7-8 inches shorter Marbury.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 04:31:11 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
All that said, if Ray and Rondo show up offensively, the Celtics probably win.  We just didn't get much from the backcourt today and that is a must when KG is out.  Everyone else played well.
tp for your post...it says it all.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 04:33:24 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC
herrmann would have neutralized if bill walker was on him.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 04:35:34 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
herrmann would have neutralized if bill walker was on him.

Probably another fair point... Winnable game, even with all the injuries... Tough to feel disappointed with the injury situation, but yet somehow I do.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 04:38:12 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
We keep playing Pierce 40+ minutes a game, he hasn't looked well in a few games now, he's always tired. Really need to find a replacement SF soon.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 04:39:03 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
My problem is this is a recurring theme in most of their losses. I have to wonder if they are taking the right steps to correct these problems. It seems like if they don't have a comfortable lead down the stretch its a toss-up if they'll win but a defensive team like this has to be able to close out games more often than not.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 04:39:46 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC
pierce is gassed and you can tell...boston can't win the title with him worn out just like they cant win it without KG...after KG returns i hope PP sits out against some of the lesser teams

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
pierce is gassed and you can tell...boston can't win the title with him worn out just like they cant win it without KG...after KG returns i hope PP sits out against some of the lesser teams
We're going to need a spectacular performance from him again if we're going against Cleveland and LA. Without that we can't win.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 04:48:54 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

This is the correct answer, although I would be a little more harsh and say Rondo was bad and Ray should not have gotten out of bed today.

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 04:52:44 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff

This is the correct answer, although I would be a little more harsh and say Rondo was bad and Ray should not have gotten out of bed today.
You said a mouth full.tp

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 04:55:38 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
We're going to need a spectacular performance from him again if we're going against Cleveland and LA without that, we don't win.

Yeah its strange how careful they are with KG but are willing to play fast and loose with Paul and Ray's minutes. KG rested and healthy is no use if the other two are run to the ground. Especially if having them all well-rested could be the difference between executing down the stretch and costly mistakes.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 04:56:15 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
tp for the OP for a good thread/topic.