Author Topic: 2018 Red Sox Thread  (Read 48413 times)

Re: 2018 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2018, 12:53:11 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So its Sox versus Yankees. Should be fun. At least I can be comforted in the knowledge we will most likely only see Severino once during the series.

« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2018, 02:02:32 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think the league should seriously consider reseeding teams based on their record for the ALDS.

Not just this yr but you don't fight for the best record in the league only to find yourself in a situation where you meet possibly the next best team after you in just the divisional series.

Cleveland is in a pathetic division yet because they won the central division gets the third seed automatically.

This was a weird year with the AL being so top-heavy. The A’s were eliminated before any NL series began, and they had a better record than all of them.

I liked the old rule of the best record and wild card not playing if from the same division. No reason they couldn’t have kept that with the wild card game.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2018, 09:29:41 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
A win sure beats a loss, but that was exhausting!

I guess I should expect nothing less from Sox/Yankees playoffs games.
Yup

« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2018, 12:48:01 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Everybody seems hung up on Price and Porcello's  propensity to choke, but IMO Kimbrel is a big time Dark Horse who should be getting more consideration.

I don't trust him AT ALL.

Dude has a squirrelly look about him. Too much fear in his eyes and in his body language in the big moments. Definitely not an intimidator.

« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2018, 12:50:39 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
Everybody seems hung up on Price and Porcello's  propensity to choke, but IMO Kimbrel is a big time Dark Horse who should be getting more consideration.

Dude has a squirrelly look about him. Too much fear in his eyes and in his body language in the big moments. Definitely not an intimidator.

Hot take of the month: Alex Cora will have a short leash on Kimbrel being the closer in the playoffs.

I could see somebody else stepping up and taking away at least some saves.

« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2018, 02:02:44 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Kimbrel looked pretty intimidating to me when he struck out Stanton on 3 pitches and Stanton looked like he didn't know what hit him.

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2018, 02:14:42 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo

Kimbrel looked pretty intimidating to me when he struck out Stanton on 3 pitches and Stanton looked like he didn't know what hit him.

Eh, I'm glad you have confidence in him. I do not. I hope I'm wrong

« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2018, 10:05:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Best record in the entire league as of May 31! (39-17)  ;D

And boy JD Martinez has been a godsend. (.322 BA, 18 HR, 47 RBI). He's been the bat we sorely missed last season and for the last two postseasons IMHO.

As expected, it's a tight two-way race between the Yankees and Red Sox in the AL East, but dang the remaining three teams are already 10 games back or more... And hell, Baltimore is like 21 games back and it's still May...  :o
enjoy it while you can.  god knows I'm enjoying the current success of my Brewers with the best record in the National League.  I don't expect it to stay that way for long but early success is better than none.
just bumping this to say I'm soooooo glad to eat crow on this as my Brewers finish the season with the best record in the National League, coming back to catch the Cubs on the last day and beat them in the playoff. 
AWESOME.    only the second division title since 1982. 
another bump -- stunned my Brewers not only advanced to the division finals with their smoke-and-mirrors roster but doing it in a sweep of Colorado.  FREAKING AWESOME!!

figured I'd just use this thread as the general playoff thread instead of making a new thread.

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2018, 10:45:08 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

I'm with you. He's been scaring me most of the season, but it seems that most Sox fans (at least the ones on Over the Monster) think he's still the game's best, or close to it. Not sure it matters, though—some combo of the team's starters and relievers seems likely to lose this series for Boston. I'm for trading/dumping nearly the entire pitching staff this offseason.

And boy JD Martinez has been a godsend. (.322 BA, 18 HR, 47 RBI). He's been the bat we sorely missed last season and for the last two postseasons IMHO.

As expected, it's a tight two-way race between the Yankees and Red Sox in the AL East, but dang the remaining three teams are already 10 games back or more... And hell, Baltimore is like 21 games back and it's still May...  :o
enjoy it while you can.  god knows I'm enjoying the current success of my Brewers with the best record in the National League.  I don't expect it to stay that way for long but early success is better than none.
just bumping this to say I'm soooooo glad to eat crow on this as my Brewers finish the season with the best record in the National League, coming back to catch the Cubs on the last day and beat them in the playoff. 
another bump -- stunned my Brewers not only advanced to the division finals with their smoke-and-mirrors roster but doing it in a sweep of Colorado.  FREAKING AWESOME!!

figured I'd just use this thread as the general playoff thread instead of making a new thread.

Congratulations to you and the Brew Crew. I'm glad to see them in the NLCS.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2018, 11:40:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I'm with you. He's been scaring me most of the season, but it seems that most Sox fans (at least the ones on Over the Monster) think he's still the game's best, or close to it. Not sure it matters, though—some combo of the team's starters and relievers seems likely to lose this series for Boston. I'm for trading/dumping nearly the entire pitching staff this offseason.

Congratulations to you and the Brew Crew. I'm glad to see them in the NLCS.
thanks -- it's very lonely being a Brewer fan in New England.  this is pretty much the only place I can celebrate.

« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2018, 10:08:18 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Good to see Bradley winning his first Gold Glove.

Betts and Kinsler also awarded one.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25180505/2018-gold-glove-winners

« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2018, 10:41:02 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
Good to see Bradley winning his first Gold Glove.

Betts and Kinsler also awarded one.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25180505/2018-gold-glove-winners

For Kinsler's sake, thank god we took the series.

Would a been a pretty awkward time to win a defensive award after that catastrophic error in game 3. Good for him though, he is a pro despite his WS performance.

« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2018, 06:52:26 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Mookie is AL MVP. Well deserved!

« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2018, 07:12:25 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Mookie is AL MVP. Well deserved!

Indeed!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2018, 07:38:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Still can't believe Cora didn't get Manager of the Year. That's criminal.

Congrats to Mookie.