Author Topic: 2019 Historical Draft Thread(TIME TO REVEAL THE WINNER!!!)  (Read 195444 times)

Re: 2019 Historical Draft Thread(Round 2 underway, make your picks!!)
« Reply #465 on: August 23, 2019, 02:45:26 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Robinson was a beast.

Great pickup.

« Reply #466 on: August 23, 2019, 02:47:04 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
With 2(11) the Celtics select the Admiral, David Robinson

Great pick. I think D-Rob is awesome in this setting. He can be more of a secondary guy and do what he does best ... and what he does best is absolutely awesome.

Play D. Rebound. Run the floor. PnR game. Jump-shot. Face up game. A little post game. Can pass.

I was tempted to put him next to Wilt but it just wouldn't have been the same as having D-Rob at center where he belongs.

« Reply #467 on: August 23, 2019, 02:49:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Robinson and Walton were the two guys I thought were above everyone else on the board.

Walton had the higher peak -- his passing and ability to elevate his teammates set him apart from most other centers.

but ...

I think D-Rob translates even better to today's game (both translate very well to today's game). D-Rob's defensive quickness and ability to help on smaller players out on the perimeter coupled with his insane athleticism on the break and around the basket give him a lot of advantages over other centers.

« Reply #468 on: August 23, 2019, 03:01:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have gouki's draftboard but am going to hold off as he can always come on and change his mind after he sees how things are shaping up.

« Reply #469 on: August 23, 2019, 03:04:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
With 2(11) the Celtics select the Admiral, David Robinson

Earlier than I expected for him, but something I really like about this pick is that its in the East where he is a solid Shaq defender, while Hakeem is in the West. That is worth taking him a little early if you don't think he'll be there your next pick.

Eh?

Shaq Prime was truly Superman. Dude didn't get that nickname for kicks.

Head-to-head they matched up when Shaq was YOUNGER but Prime Shaq leveled just about everyone in front of him.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Shaquille+O%27Neal&player_id1_select=Shaquille+O%27Neal&player_id1=onealsh01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=David+Robinson&player_id2_select=David+Robinson&player_id2=robinda01&idx=players

Check out the box scores from Shaq in 1999-2000s vs David.

Double Shaq? He's an excellent passer - just waiting to feed The Logo (and others) on the perimeter.

When engaged he earned 2nd team All-Defense.

« Reply #470 on: August 23, 2019, 03:11:57 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I知 going to be depressed after Gouki picks, what am I supposed to do the next couple of days?  I知 going to have to get a life or something.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #471 on: August 23, 2019, 03:24:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Action781 exhales an hour-long deep sigh of relief...

And with the 2(9) pick the Utah Jazz selects Bill Walton.

I love Bill Walton. I couldn't put him next to Wilt but I was dreaming of Walton next to Bird or KG to begin the draft.

I thought Walton had one of the highest peaks of any player ever. He really should have been a first round pick. He was so dominant and played such a wonderful team-orientated style of play. He is absolutely perfect for this game.

Perhaps the most well rounded center to ever play this game.

Edit: Oh dang. I just realized you have Bird. Bird and Walton. The passing, floor spacing and team offense on that team is going to be incredible.
Walton never played more than 65 games in a season until he was a bench role player.  I have a hard time picking someone so highly that just couldn't stay healthy, especially someone who never even averaged 19 ppg in a season.  I know a lot of people really love Walton, but if you actually look at his stats and what he actually did, he just doesn't measure up.  It is obviously because of health as he has a ton of talent, but health absolutely matters.

Similar boat as Kawhi. 60 game regular season + full postseason.
Sure, but Kawhi's numbers were a lot better than Walton's.  That 65 game season Walton averaged 18.6 p, 14.4 r, 3.8 a, 1.0 s, and 3.2 b.  In the playoffs, that was 18.2 p, 15.2 r, 5.5 a, 1.1 s, 3.4 b, so a slight improvement generally, but overall those numbers are weak compared to the other great centers.  The Blazers did win the title that year and Walton was the Finals MVP, but he was only 2nd Team All NBA to Kareem who won the MVP (Walton was 1st Team All Defense).  The following year they gave Walton the MVP, but he only played in 58 games and managed just 2 in the post-season.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #472 on: August 23, 2019, 03:49:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
With the 12th pick in the 2nd Round of the 2019 Historical Draft the Philadelphia 76ers select:

KARL MALONE

« Reply #473 on: August 23, 2019, 03:53:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
The rosters after 2 rounds.....discuss

EASTERN CONFERENCE

BOSTON
LeBron James
David Robinson

PHILADELPHIA
Larry Bird
Karl Malone

CHICAGO
Tim Duncan
Oscar Robertson

DETROIT
Kawhi Leonard
John Havlicek

MIAMI
Shaquille O'Neal
Jerry West

ATLANTA
Wilt Chamberlain
Dirk Nowitzki

WESTERN CONFERENCE

LOS ANGELES
Kevin Garnett
Steph Curry

GOLDEN STATE
Bill Russell
Kevin Durant

PORTLAND
Magic Johnson
Moses Malone

UTAH
Michael Jordan
Bill Walton

DALLAS
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Julius Erving

SAN ANTONIO
Hakeem Olajuwan
Kobe Bryant

Re: 2019 Historical Draft Thread(Round 2 over. Have a great weekend!!!)
« Reply #474 on: August 23, 2019, 03:58:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Gouki and Philly with Larry Bird, Karl Malone and the 1st and 4th picks out of the next 4 picks. That's pretty dang good.

« Reply #475 on: August 23, 2019, 04:13:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I have gouki's draftboard but am going to hold off as he can always come on and change his mind after he sees how things are shaping up.
Thanks Nick! Pretty darn happy to pair the Mailman with Larry Legend.

Willing to hear offers on picks 1 and 4 in the next round, but not desperate to move them
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #476 on: August 23, 2019, 04:20:45 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
Chicago and Portland look strong to me.  The Lakers have potential as they have 2 third rounders.  The late rounds will prove a lot. 

Edit:  Dallas looks solid to me as well upon checking again.  I知 most interested to see what San Antonio does in the next few rounds.

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #477 on: August 23, 2019, 04:30:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Chicago and Portland look strong to me.  The Lakers have potential as they have 2 third rounders.  The late rounds will prove a lot. 

Edit:  Dallas looks solid to me as well upon checking again.  I知 most interested to see what San Antonio does in the next few rounds.
Everyone looks strong to me. I have like 4 teams I really like, 6 teams I really respect and 2 I think have great potential.  Not sure anyone is head and shoulders ahead or behind at this point. 2 teams have 2 third rounders. That could be key.

« Reply #478 on: August 23, 2019, 04:36:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
David Robinson and LeBron James
Bill Walton and Michael Jordan

Those two pairs stand out to me. I really like the ying yang of those pairs. Two guys in MJ and LeBron who are high usage offensive powerhouses. Then two guys who can act more as facilitators and provide more teamwork and balance around them. Blunt their sharper edges and bring the best out of another. Counterbalance one another while also complementing each other.

Strong foundations for both offense and defense. Plus teamwork.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 04:45:13 PM by Who »

« Reply #479 on: August 23, 2019, 04:43:48 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

Everyone looks strong to me. I have like 4 teams I really like, 6 teams I really respect and 2 I think have great potential.  Not sure anyone is head and shoulders ahead or behind at this point. 2 teams have 2 third rounders. That could be key.

I didn稚 realize that another team had 2 third rounders, that痴 huge.  At the end of this there are going to be 12 absolutely loaded teams, it will be difficult to decide who has the best as it will be super close.  I知 really just enjoying this draft and the basketball talk in the summer.