Author Topic: NFL 2023-24 Off-Season  (Read 62722 times)

Re: NFL 2023-24 Off-Season
« Reply #210 on: March 11, 2024, 12:02:56 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
“Steelers Nation, Let’s Ride!”

- Russell Wilson probably

(Yes it’s official, he’s a Steeler)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #211 on: March 11, 2024, 12:30:01 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
Wilson to the Steelers definitely helps make them a playoff team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #212 on: March 11, 2024, 02:13:57 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1402
Jeudy traded to Browns for a 5th and 6th round pick.

Broncos gonna tank next season or are they building capital to try something on draft day?

They’d better tank with that dead cap space.  It’s not like they can win if they want to.

A tank season for the Pats sounds good to me. Draft and sign thinking a couple years ahead. Another top 5 pick next year combined with a trade down to net a 1st/2nd in 2025 sounds good  to me.

I want the Patriots to become the OKC Thunder of the NFL for the next 3 years. Accumulate as many valuable assets as possible. If that means trading out of this draft, so be it.

I think people will blow a gasket if Pats go all-in on losing and accumulating assets. But I’m very much in agreement with you.
They should have done it immediately after Tom left. They are 4 years behind schedule.

Are you oddly pretending they didn’t tank last year when they have the third pick in the draft?

I mean you can get into semantics about what their intent was but the end result was they had a tanking year. They also had too much talent the year after Brady left to just cut and trade everyone. You could quibble they should they should have done something differently the year before last but you were urging them to do the opposite and sign guys like Hopkins.
They definitely didn't tank, but yes they were bad so it is probably a bit of semantics, but them not intending to tank and then being bad led to a lot of the dysfunction that is being reported.  They also should have gotten a new coach and gm better positioned to tank and pull out of it.  Bill wanting to win did not help a tank at all.

Losing led to dysfunction. Players and coaches don't tank in the NFL if they want to last long. Belichick was trying to win.
I agree, which is why my original post said they waited 4 years to long and should have tanked immediately after Tom left.

Or they could have just drafted better. I mean, what’s the point of tanking if you can’t identity the right players to take, especially on offense.
And frankly, Bill should have left New England when Tom went to Tampa. He'd have been able to pick a winning destination (maybe he takes a year off and then goes somewhere with full power again like Payton did in Denver).  He'd have been much more able to pick a winning place in that scenario and he'd be well on his way to Shula if not already well past him, and the narrative that it was basically all Tom and not him wouldn't be as booming, if out there at all.

I haven't seen anyone in the NFL community of repute that says it was basically all Tom. The latest Patriots dynasty doc shows how influential Bill was (for right and wrong).

I agree with most everything else you wrote.

Who knows how it all went down...for all we know Kraft begged him to stay and help with the transition post-Tom and he felt he owed the guy one and ended up trashing his reputation as a result.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #213 on: March 11, 2024, 06:16:01 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
I say Russell Wilson & Tyler Boyd will sign with Pittsburgh
well got one right so far
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #214 on: March 11, 2024, 09:00:57 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be
Happy Legal Tampering Day to those who celebrate.  Noon EST.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #215 on: March 11, 2024, 09:49:14 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887

I understand it will be a 1 year deal.  I wonder how much?  I would have been very happy if the Pats could have gotten Wilson on a 1 year deal.  I get that PIT is a better place for him, he wants the best chance to win, I am sure, and that is not the Pats.

I think it is interesting if you compare Wilson's stats from last season to Mayfield's stats, what does that tell you?  They are very similar overall, with Wilson having a slightly better overall RTG and QBR.  With Mayfield, it was his best season pretty much ever.  The big difference of course is Mayfield is 28 and Wilson is 35.

« Reply #216 on: March 11, 2024, 09:57:48 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993

I understand it will be a 1 year deal.  I wonder how much?  I would have been very happy if the Pats could have gotten Wilson on a 1 year deal.  I get that PIT is a better place for him, he wants the best chance to win, I am sure, and that is not the Pats.

I think it is interesting if you compare Wilson's stats from last season to Mayfield's stats, what does that tell you?  They are very similar overall, with Wilson having a slightly better overall RTG and QBR.  With Mayfield, it was his best season pretty much ever.  The big difference of course is Mayfield is 28 and Wilson is 35.

It’s for the minimum, since anything extra he gets just goes to the Broncos instead.  This was Wilson choosing the team he wanted — contract negotiations were going to be easy anywhere.

« Reply #217 on: March 11, 2024, 10:14:24 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
My Bengals: Tee Higgins request a trade, trade him for first & 4th..get one if top WRs in draft, gotta need money to sign Chase long term
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #218 on: March 11, 2024, 10:21:38 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
My Bengals: Tee Higgins request a trade, trade him for first & 4th..get one if top WRs in draft, gotta need money to sign Chase long term

I'd be pretty surprised if any of the Top-10 teams give up their pick for him tbh. I think the Bengals have to hope for a late 1st/early 2nd + a future high draft pick. I would love for NE to get him, but no way in hell would I trade #3 for Higgins. If they trade down from #3 since they don't like a QB and acquire a bunch of picks in the process, I could entertain it.

Personally if I'm NE, I would give up #34 + Parker + 2025 2nd to get it done. And you use #3 on Daniels or Maye, or trade down and take an OT with a pick probably in the 6-11 range.

« Reply #219 on: March 11, 2024, 10:27:16 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1560

I'd be pretty surprised if any of the Top-10 teams give up their pick for him tbh. I think the Bengals have to hope for a late 1st/early 2nd + a future high draft pick. I would love for NE to get him, but no way in hell would I trade #3 for Higgins. If they trade down from #3 since they don't like a QB and acquire a bunch of picks in the process, I could entertain it.

Personally if I'm NE, I would give up #34 + Parker + 2025 2nd to get it done. And you use #3 on Daniels or Maye, or trade down and take an OT with a pick probably in the 6-11 range.
Higgins definitely makes more sense than Ridley, but I still don't see why NE would make that move this off season.  They should be about acquiring draft picks, nit trading them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #220 on: March 11, 2024, 10:29:25 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Higgins definitely makes more sense than Ridley, but I still don't see why NE would make that move this off season.  They should be about acquiring draft picks, nit trading them.

Maybe, but Higgins is still just 25 and the logic would be you give him an extension after the trade. Maybe Ridley doesn't make sense but on the flip side, how else are you going to evaluate the QB? So if they do take Maye/Daniels, are we just gonna have them throw it to JuJu and Parker again? If that's the case, good luck to them.

I think they can still land a good receiver with their 2nd round pick like Xavier Worthy if they go that route. The Pats do have 80M+ in cap space still, I'm not saying they have to spend it all but I mean come on... they should still spend a good chunk of it. If not a WR, who are they paying? More special teamers or depth guys?

« Reply #221 on: March 11, 2024, 10:34:29 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1560

Maybe, but Higgins is still just 25 and the logic would be you give him an extension after the trade. Maybe Ridley doesn't make sense but on the flip side, how else are you going to evaluate the QB? So if they do take Maye/Daniels, are we just gonna have them throw it to JuJu and Parker again? If that's the case, good luck to them.

I think they can still land a good receiver with their 2nd round pick like Xavier Worthy if they go that route. The Pats do have 80M+ in cap space still, I'm not saying they have to spend it all but I mean come on... they should still spend a good chunk of it. If not a WR, who are they paying? More special teamers or depth guys?
I'd invest in the offensive and defensive lines.  They could use another RB as well and the market for that position is excellent this year. If Higgins was a free agent, he'd make a lot more sense, but I wouldn't give up the picks it would take to acquire him, then pay him, only for the QB to get killed with terrible line play and not as much depth since you just traded some high picks for Higgins.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #222 on: March 11, 2024, 11:49:10 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be
Dianna Russini
@DMRussini
Kirk Cousins will hit free agency and begin discussions with Atlanta as soon as the tampering window opens in 90 minutes, per sources.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #223 on: March 11, 2024, 11:49:36 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
I just checked.  Higgins is making about $21.8M this season and then is a UFA.  The only reason I can think that he would want to be traded was so that he can get an extension for more than what the Bengals must be offering.  Doesn't make sense to me for the Celtics to trade draft picks for him only to have to franchise him, at least not a 1st.

« Reply #224 on: March 11, 2024, 12:11:50 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
I just checked.  Higgins is making about $21.8M this season and then is a UFA.  The only reason I can think that he would want to be traded was so that he can get an extension for more than what the Bengals must be offering.  Doesn't make sense to me for the Celtics to trade draft picks for him only to have to franchise him, at least not a 1st.

I agree, it makes no sense for the Celtics to trade for a wide receiver.