Author Topic: Potential player comparisons for our rookies - what do you think?  (Read 7245 times)

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I was just in another thread where 'GetLucky' compared Mickey to a poor man's Serge Ibaka which I think was a great comparison - this got me thinking about comparisons for our other rookies. 

Here's what I came up with.

Terry Rozier

Player Comparison:
Eric Bledsoe

Physical similarities:
Pre-draft Bledsoe was measured at 6'1" (with shoes) with a solid build (190 lbs), a chiseled physique (5.6% body fat) and great length (6'7" wingspan).  He's an explosive athlete who is very quick with the ball, and who can jump out of the gym.

Pre-draft measurements for Rozier have him at 6'2" (with shoes) and 190 pounds, with 5.6% body fat and a 6'8" wingspan.  We have already seen that he has explosive quickness and speed, and he recorded a max vertical of 38" at the combine. 

The physical similarities are uncanny. 

Game similarities:
Eric Bledsoe is essentially a Shooting Guard in a Point Guard's body.  He's has never been a natural PG in terms of his passing and playmaking ability, but he's developed that side of his game well enough to be able to get by as a PG.  He's a very capable scorer, but gets most of those points by getting to the basket - more than one third of all his field goal attempts are inside 3 feet, and his 36% career Free Throw Rate is excellent.  He's not not an outstanding shooter, but he has grown in to a capable one.  He is very well known for his aggressive, hard nosed defense.

All of the above pretty much describes Terry Rozier in a nutshell.  He's a natural SG, but will likely spend plenty of time at PG during his career due to his size and solid ball handling ability.  He is not a great pure shooter by any stretch, but he's a capable shooter who scored plenty of points in college off jumpers and three point shots.  His biggest offensive weapon in college was his ability to get to the basket and get to the line.  He's not a natural playmaker, but shows potential to become a passable one. 

In college Rozier averaged 19.5 points, 6.3 rebounds and 3.4 assists and 2.5 turnovers per 40 minutes.  By comparison Bledsoe averaged 14.9 points, 4.1 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 3 turnovers per 40 minutes. 

General similarities:
Bledsoe was taken 18th overall in the 2010 NBA draft at the age of 21. Rozier was taken at #16 at the age of 21.  Bledsoe is hnown for his toughness and his great motor - two characteristics Rozier is already getting praise from his teammates for.

R.J. Hunter

Player Comparison:
Tayshaun Prince

Physical similarities:
Tayshaun Prince is 6'9" with a lanky build (215 lbs) and crazy wingspan (7'2").  He's never been an elite/explosive athlete, but is still quite athletic and mobile for his size.

Hunter is 6'6" with a lanky (185 lbs) frame and an extremely long wingspan (6'10").   He's not known for his athleticism but runs the floor well and has good lateral mobility for his size.

Game similarities:
Prince lacks physical strength, but despite this he has been a very good defensive wing his entire career.  He's never really been a 'star' player, and spent most of his career as a very good 'swiss army knife' style role player.  He's always been a reasonable (but not great) rebounder and a skilled passer with very high basketball IQ.  He's also been a good outside shooter, sitting at 37% from three for his career.

Hunter isn't an exact match for Prince (since he's one position down, basically) but his overall attributes are quite similar.  He's known for his three point shooting, and he has already surprsied a lot of people with his quality defensive play - something nobody really expected from him.  He's got great basketball IQ and an uncanny ability to always be in the right place at the right time.  He's already shown he can rebound and pass well for a wing.  He doesn't look like he has the potential to be a star, but he looks like he could be a very good (and versatile) starter or role player in the future.

General similarities:
Tayshaun Prince was drafted 23rd overall in 2002, while Hunter was taken 28th overall.  Pricne is well know for his excellent intangibles - great leadership, great work ethic, great motor, outstanding basketball IQ.  These are all characteristics that R.J. Hunter shares.

Jordan Mickey

Player Comparison:
Serge Ibaka

Physical similarities:
Draft Express has Ibaka listed at 6'10" and 220 lbs.  They don't list his wingspan, but other sources indicate it is between 7'2" and 7'4".  He is well known for his athleticism, especially since he made a name for himself early on via the dunk contest.

DE has Jordan Mickey listed at 6'8" (with shoes) and 238 lbs so he is a little shorter than Ibaka, however he has similar length (7'3" wingspan).  His max vertical was measured at 37.5", which is hugely impressive for a big.     

Game similarities:
Ibaka's most famous attribute is his elite shot-blocking ability, while he also impressed early in his career with his ability to hit the midrange jumper at a nice rate.  He has been decent (but not exceptional) his whole career as both a rebounder and inside scorer.  He is highly valued defensively for his combination of strength, length and mobility - this allows him to cover multiple positions on the defensive end while also protecting the rim. He has developed a capable three point shot, but this only happened in the past year or two.

Mickey's greatest skills coming into the league are his shot-blocking ability and his mid-range jumper.  He's also highly valued for his defensive versatility, with his length/strength/mobility allowing him to guard three positions on the floor and also protect the basket.  He doesn't have a top notch post game, but he's a capable scorer around the basket.  He's a good rebounder (11 Per 40 minutes) but not elite.  He is on record saying that he feels he has the potential to develop three point range on his jump-shot in time.

General similarities:
Ibaka was drafted 24th overall in 2008.  Mickey was taken at #33 this year, so both were late draft selections.  Both are seen as hard worker with an excellent motor.

Those are my comparisons, and while they are no doubt on the optimistic side, none of them are (IMHO) that unrealistic.I honestly feel there is a pretty good chance that at least one of these three guys lives up to this 'comparison' over he course of his career.  Thought the chance of all three happening is very slim. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:55:44 PM by crimson_stallion »

Re: Potential player comparisons for our rookies - what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 09:12:46 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
TP.

Solid job.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:19:19 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Good Post, Here are the way I see the Rookies:
Terry: Damien Lillard
RJ: Steph Curry
Jordan: Ibaka

I don't really want to overestimate tho, so I think these players comps are a safe bet.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 09:43:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would be happy if one of those lived up to those comparisons, crimson_stallion

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 09:46:54 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I definitely like the Mickey/Ibaka comparison. If he could become anything close to Ibaka's level, he'd be an excellent 2nd round pick.

I know he's also young, but Rozier reminds me a lot of Dennis Schroeder.

As for RJ, I see a lot of Klay Thompson in him. Both excellent shooters, both can handle the ball and shoot off the dribble, and both are above-average defenders. Klay is more athletic, but I think RJ is a better passer and has a higher BBIQ. If he can put on some muscle, I think he has Klay-type potential with his range and stroke.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 09:55:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Good Post, Here are the way I see the Rookies:
Terry: Damien Lillard
RJ: Steph Curry
Jordan: Ibaka

I don't really want to overestimate tho, so I think these players comps are a safe bet.
yeah we wouldn't want to overestimate it by comparing our d-leaguers to the league MVP or something.  Good to see you making safe bets.

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 10:07:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I didn't watch them in College so I've exclusively seen these guys play against inferior undrafted semi-pros in Summerleague and the preseason game against Euros.  You can't really determine anything from that.   So I'll just pull some overly optimistic names out of my butt.

Rozier - Marcus Banks. 
Hunter - Delonte West
Mickey - Leon Powe

Let's see how they play when matched up against NBA players. 

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 10:12:17 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I like them personally, TP.

I always view comparisons with rookie/sophomore prospects on a kind of sliding scale where there's best and worst case scenarios. Normally round here were discussing best case scenarios, and I think your comps are pretty solid, especially the Rozier/Bledsoe comparison. Rozier has been earning rave reviews from everyone around the team since draft night, I like what that kid can become. Reminds me of AB in a lot of ways, except more complete offensively.

Hunter reminds me a lot of a homeless man'a Reggie Miller. He's got that stick figure build, high basketball IQ and lights out range. He's going to prove himself a capable secondary ball-handler and if he's got the talent to become a great shooter off the dribble, he could make an excellent 2 guard to pair with Smart going forward. Rozier could fill a Thomas like role in that scenario.

Mickey is someone I find myself buying into more and more. Ibaka is a fair comparison, and I think he's like Draymond Green in a lot of ways. His offensive game and mid-range jump shot is more advanced than I imagined and I think he could certainly get a heavy dose of small-ball 5 in the future. He's easily the best shot-blocker on the team already and I think a mid-season move involving whatever big loses the camp competition opens up a little PT for him.

Obviously those are best case scenario kind of comps but really, your just looking for similarities in style of play.

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 10:13:36 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Love the Bledsoe comp. RJ Hunter, in terms of his strengths, weaknesses, and dimensions, profiles like Reggie Miller. Mickey is toughest because there isn't really anyone Mickey's size that does what he does. Taj Gibson is the closest, though, as a slightly smaller PF with gadget arms and hops.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 10:17:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I like them personally, TP.

I always view comparisons with rookie/sophomore prospects on a kind of sliding scale where there's best and worst case scenarios. Normally round here were discussing best case scenarios, and I think your comps are pretty solid, especially the Rozier/Bledsoe comparison. Rozier has been earning rave reviews from everyone around the team since draft night, I like what that kid can become. Reminds me of AB in a lot of ways, except more complete offensively.

Hunter reminds me a lot of a homeless man'a Reggie Miller. He's got that stick figure build, high basketball IQ and lights out range. He's going to prove himself a capable secondary ball-handler and if he's got the talent to become a great shooter off the dribble, he could make an excellent 2 guard to pair with Smart going forward. Rozier could fill a Thomas like role in that scenario.

Mickey is someone I find myself buying into more and more. Ibaka is a fair comparison, and I think he's like Draymond Green in a lot of ways. His offensive game and mid-range jump shot is more advanced than I imagined and I think he could certainly get a heavy dose of small-ball 5 in the future. He's easily the best shot-blocker on the team already and I think a mid-season move involving whatever big loses the camp competition opens up a little PT for him.

Obviously those are best case scenario kind of comps but really, your just looking for similarities in style of play.

I like the Reggie comparison, too, though Hunter seems like he's a lot more versatile with the ball in his hands than Reggie.

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 11:00:52 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Love the Bledsoe comp. RJ Hunter, in terms of his strengths, weaknesses, and dimensions, profiles like Reggie Miller. Mickey is toughest because there isn't really anyone Mickey's size that does what he does. Taj Gibson is the closest, though, as a slightly smaller PF with gadget arms and hops.

It's nice to remember that there have been some good apindly SFs--which I could see RJH also becoming.

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 11:05:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
CJ Watson, Jodie Meeks, Solomon Jones.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 11:47:09 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
One thing I like about these initial comparisons is that all three guys (Bledsoe, Prince, Ibaka) were taken middle-to-late in the first round, meaning every one of those guys was ultimately projected to be a decent rotation player at best - but ended up far exceeding those projections.

Our rookies all possess some combination of mental intangibles (work ethic, motor, basketball IQ, swagger, leadership) and physical talent (size, length, athleticism) that simply cannot be taught.   

I feel guys like that are the type of guys who are most likely to become draft steals because I feel that if you have the raw physical talent, and you are willing to work harder than everybody else, then the skills (shooting, dribbling, defense, passing, etc) will eventually come. 

Once you have physical talent, mental intangibles AND skills - that's when you can become something really special in this league.

Interesting mentions with the Hunter/Reggie and Mickey/Taj comparisons.  I would be positively thrilled if Hunter ever became Reggie good!

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 11:50:40 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Low/High

Rozier= Jarrett Jack/ Starbury

RJ= Kevin Martin/ Reggie Miller

Mickey= Tristan Thompson/ Joe Smith

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 11:52:17 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
RJ: Poor mans Kevin Martin
Mickey: A less effective Ibaka
Rozier: Westbrook
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply