Author Topic: 2020 Red Sox Thread  (Read 83007 times)

Re: 2020 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #315 on: January 14, 2020, 12:42:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They don't want technology in the game, baseball is a traditionalist sport. That's why you're not allowed earbuds for pitcher/catcher or devices in the dugout.

Just a hilarious scandal that's entirely based on the norms of the sport. Most NBA teams have a system just like this with a coach assigned with a tablet to make sure they have the other teams play calls.

Houston Astros as an organization as a whole seem like scumbags up and down for sure though.

Re: 2019 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #316 on: January 14, 2020, 01:04:44 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bob Nightengale
@BNightengale
·
30m
MLB has begun their investigation into the #Redsox today, and Alex Cora likely will be suspended at least one year by the time it concludes.

Things just keep getting better for the Sox.  Cost cutting owner, likely to lose the signature star of the team, and now their most recent WS is likely tainted by cheating and the manager is probably going to get suspended.

I'm sure Henry will use the Globe to provide another timely Patriots hit piece, though, to distract from what is about to happen to the Sox organization.

Yeah, that should do it  ::) ::) ::) ::)

I love the Pats as much as anyone. But these sorts of comments are embarrassing.

The Pats' dysfunction has nothing to do with the Boston Globe. Literally every media outlet in New England has been taking the same shots at them for years.

So blame WEEI, blame Sports Hub, blame NBC Boston, blame everyone. Even in Portland ME they are talking about the same stuff. The drama isn't coming from BB, Kraft, and Brady. It is John Henry. He is the mastermind  behind all of it. Heck, I'm pretty sure he's been drugging the Pats' receivers and O-line to make the Patriots look bad.

So I take it you work for the Globe?

You really think the Boston Globe takes the same level of professional skepticism & unvarnished looks at the Red Sox as they do with the Patriots?  The publication that's owned by John Henry?

It’s a time-honored practice with the Globe and the Sox, even before Henry.  Remember Mo Vaughn?  He went from beloved slugger and all around great guy to the overweight vagabond spending all his time at strip clubs.

The Francona smear job still irks me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #317 on: January 14, 2020, 01:19:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
 ;D Im for hire

I ll sit above the dugout .

With my Iphone and Little horn tooter and sign GO TEAM!

1 -toot  Fastball
2 - toot. curve ball

3 toot outside corner
4 toot inside corner

;D  :D

Watch the stiches on those baseball ... soemtimes they accidentally come loose .

« Reply #318 on: January 14, 2020, 03:58:14 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I loved Cora as the manager, but he's a goner.  Who is his replacement?  I'm hoping for Varitek.  He doesn't have managerial experience, but he's smart, a leader, and was always a favorite of mine.

« Reply #319 on: January 14, 2020, 04:00:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I loved Cora as the manager, but he's a goner.  Who is his replacement?  I'm hoping for Varitek.  He doesn't have managerial experience, but he's smart, a leader, and was always a favorite of mine.

Good choice. 

« Reply #320 on: January 14, 2020, 07:38:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
No surprise, but Cora and the team have “mutually parted ways”.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #321 on: January 14, 2020, 08:54:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
No surprise, but Cora and the team have “mutually parted ways”.

Had to be done. I wish Cora well going forward.

I’m still extremely thankful for that 2018 season we had, and I wish Cora and his family well going forward.

I’m kind of glad they mutually parted ways instead of doing an "ugly" firing days later. I’m sure all sides are frustrated but also have respect for each other. As for our next manager, I’m sure they’ll go internal, but I definitely hope they at least look into Varitek (again, "look into", not saying they have to make him priority #1)

Cora will get punished as deserved, but I also still feel like the Astros organization and ownership is doing a ton of fingerpointing and more towards Cora and the players (even their own players, if you read the statement from their now former GM).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #322 on: January 14, 2020, 10:01:47 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
So I guess that means the Red Sox's 2018 banner was tainted.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 10:19:05 PM by SparzWizard »

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #323 on: January 15, 2020, 12:27:15 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Seems likely, even if the players weren't involved.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #324 on: January 15, 2020, 03:09:20 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Seems likely, even if the players weren't involved.

How were the players not involved? Maybe it wasn’t their idea, but they certainly (and knowingly) benefited from it. Which makes this all the more crazy. Did they really think every player and staff member involved would keep this secret forever?

The most bizarre part of all of this is that it actually worked. I know the Yankees made complaints against both teams. And in an even more bizarre twist, upon fining the Red Sox after investigating the Yankees complaint.... went ahead and fined the Yankees too for something in the past (completely unrelated to sign-stealing), which looks consistent with what MLB is doing now (telling all teams to keep quiet about their displeasure with the punishment, or else), trying to cover this up as much as possible.

So they let this fester much longer than it should have, and then when the Athletic’s article uncovered everything, they had no choice but to give the Astros a slap on the wrist (which is all their penalty really is).

Manfred is trying to save face but he’s botching this. Apparently a lot of owners are not happy with this punishment (not severe enough), and that may lead to more issues.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #325 on: January 15, 2020, 05:08:25 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

I think the time has come to make sign stealing against the rules. 100 years ago there was no technology, so if you could work out signs using the naked eye, good for you. It was a bit like being able to interpret a pitcher's tics if they happened at the same time as him pitching certain pitches. But these days you have multiple cameras at all angles, instant replay, monitors, smartphones, smart watches, hell you could even get the 2nd baseman wear a pinhole camera trained on the catcher. Or as Shaqattack said just have some dude watching the TV broadcast and calling the dugout whenever the TV shows the signs. Silly to have sign stealing legal but not allow it if it's technologically aided. Just make sign-stealing of any type against the rules and come down hard on anyone that does it, whether it's a one off or systematic. That sends a clear message against cheating.

I agree that if sign stealing is against the rules, it should be punished in all instances ... but why are they still using hand signals and expecting people to be on the honor system? People involved in competitions are always looking for an edge, and even more so when those competitions are now worth millions upon millions of dollars, and we have all kinds of sophisticated technology that can be used for illegal purposes, so of course there are going to be quite a few people who don't just "push the envelope" but straight-up cheat (doesn't make it right, but that's how it is). So why don't they use modern-day technology to deal with this, like having pitchers and catchers wear earbuds that are on a secure channel, through which the manager can call the pitches? I know that some catchers call pitches, and pitchers like to shake off pitches, but maybe that's something that needs to change. Otherwise, some players and teams will keep stealing signs, and we'll keep having these scandals.

That's my point...the rules of the game (and many other games) were developed at a time when you could only do so much to cheat (i.e. steal signs). Back 100 years ago either you figured it out with the naked eye or you didn't. Today, you can use technology to make a concerted effort to do so. Just as teams today can analyze player swings, pitches, everything using all the technology we have available. It's only a matter of time, given the amounts of money and what's at stake today, before that technology starts pushing the boundaries of the "honor system".

It's not just baseball, the advent of technology has really forced sporting bodies to re-evaluate how those rules can be applied and how relevant they are in today's age. Some sports have proven better at adapting than others.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #326 on: January 15, 2020, 07:09:42 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

There's always going to be a question mark unfortunately. Whether there actually was or wasn't, or the extent of it, we'll never know. But that allegation will always be there.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #327 on: January 15, 2020, 09:39:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

There's always going to be a question mark unfortunately. Whether there actually was or wasn't, or the extent of it, we'll never know. But that allegation will always be there.

To me, it doesn't really matter.  It happened & it was an exciting ride. 

I was a huge fan of UMass men's basketball back in the mid 90s.  They made a Final Four which has since been vacated.   Tainted or not, it happened.  And the ride was awesome. 

That's the more important stuff as a sports fan.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #328 on: January 15, 2020, 10:44:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Manfred had to strip the Astros title and if the Sox did similar things, needs to strip that one as well.  You can't have teams sitting there with a title that was earned in a season that they knowingly and blatantly cheated especially in the post season.  Just not a good look.

Also, not a great look dropping the penalty the morning of the College Football National Championship game.  Trying to bury the story never goes well. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #329 on: January 15, 2020, 11:13:07 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Manfred had to strip the Astros title and if the Sox did similar things, needs to strip that one as well.  You can't have teams sitting there with a title that was earned in a season that they knowingly and blatantly cheated especially in the post season.  Just not a good look.

Also, not a great look dropping the penalty the morning of the College Football National Championship game.  Trying to bury the story never goes well.

Maybe they were trying to bury it, but I don't think it worked. In my office and on this forum, there was far more talk yesterday about the cheating than about the college football title game.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis