Author Topic: What's with this slump?  (Read 15302 times)

Re: What's with this slump?
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2020, 02:05:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
pre tanking slump.

also ....bad Karma jinx on all ya ll who said Ducan was greater than KG , has brought bad luck down upon the Celtics  ;D

I will always love KG but anybody who puts him over Duncan is crazy.  But that's neither here nor there for this topic of discussion.   8)
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2020, 05:35:46 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
pre tanking slump.

also ....bad Karma jinx on all ya ll who said Ducan was greater than KG , has brought bad luck down upon the Celtics  ;D

I will always love KG but anybody who puts him over Duncan is crazy.  But that's neither here nor there for this topic of discussion.   8)
I think that's a reasonable position. KG was - in addition to being a top flight rebounder, scorer, and defender - the premier playmaking big man of his generation. IMO, arguing which was better is splitting hairs.

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2020, 05:42:23 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
pre tanking slump.

Anyone else who wants to go to the Loony Bin with me feel free.

The bus has a few seats left.

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2020, 05:42:57 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

It's simple, look at all the playoff caliber teams, all their Centers are not small.

All the playoff teams have a fundamentally sound lineup, they're not using 6-8 or 6-6 players as Centers.

Of all the 16 playoff teams right now, east and west, the Celts have the weakest starting Center.

That doesn't really respond to my question.

The Celtics have lost 13 games this season.

Of those losses, the following are against teams over .500:

@ Milwaukee
@ Philly
vs Raptors
vs Sixers
@ Pacers
@ Denver
@ LA
@ Philly

You'll notice that 6 of those 8 losses are on the road.

The Denver loss was at the end of a long road trip, and Kemba suffered a scary injury early in the game.

Of those losses, three of them (Philly, Toronto, Milwaukee) were on the second night of a back to back.

I'm not seeing a clear narrative forming here that the Celts simply can't compete with the best teams. 

They lost to the Clippers in OT on the road.  They've beaten Toronto twice, Milwaukee once, Dallas twice, Miami once, and Denver once.  Those are all solid wins.

I would love to see the Celts get some signature wins against the best in the league.  But I don't think it's accurate to suggest the Celtics have struggled against the better teams in the league any more than most of the other playoff caliber teams have.

Its worth noting that a few of those great wins have asterisks. One Dallas win was without Luka, one Toronto win without Siakam, the Mia and Den wins were with those teams on a road second game of back to back.

The Celtics have not won a single road game this season against an above 500 team when that team was healthy. The only two such wins were TOR and DAL without Siakam and Luka.

I agree in general tho, not sure I see any big schedule takeaways either way other than they haven't beaten good teams on the road but its kind of been a small sample size.

That door swings both ways. Almost every loss the Celts have had a starter has been out.

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2020, 05:49:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah it would be really nice if the Celts could have just one game against a high quality opponent where all the main guys on both teams are healthy and rested and the Celts win.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2020, 05:57:52 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Yeah it would be really nice if the Celts could have just one game against a high quality opponent where all the main guys on both teams are healthy and rested and the Celts win.
Amen.

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2020, 06:30:06 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
We just got to face the facts: Celtics are just an average team..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2020, 06:50:46 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Have you said anything positive about this team at all this year?...

I also get very confused as to why everyone here thinks this team was meant to contend for a championship anyways... We lost Horford, and Kyrie in free agency, and the main consensus was that we were going to be re-tooling pieces to possibly contend in the future or strictly re-building by going young. We sort of went in both routes by acquiring Kemba, but the objective was that we were going to give the keys to Jays, see if there's anything left in the tank for Hayward, and how our bench/young players turn out. And the possibility that we were going to have another decent valuable asset in the Grizzlies pick, but every growing day it only reinforces the probability that it'll end up outside of the lottery.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2020, 06:59:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I knew it .....I knew it !

Ugh ....It s the curse of KG ....diss n  him for Duncan  :o

Save us Time Lord ...celtics blog dun gone mad

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2020, 07:40:11 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Danny and the front office just had bad luck..started with Gordon getting hurt after signing a huge contract..then Anthony Davis trade did not happen after he said he wouldn’t resign with us..Al left..Kyrie left (thank goodness)...this year draft class has been bad so far..Robert Williams can’t stay healthy..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2020, 08:26:52 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
This thread is about the slump and yes, they is slumpin'.

2019/20
Oct  3-1
Nov  10-4
Dec  10-3
Jan 4-5 (doesn't get easier from here)
27-13 (.675)

Last year
2018/19
Oct  5-2
Nov  7-8
Dec  9-5
Jan 11-4
32-19 (.627)

Keep it basic...it's the NBA you get bad months, stretches whatever. Good teams lose to bad teams and the Celtics don't match up well with the Bucks which shouldn't be a surprise for anybody based on last year's playoffs and management's inability to do anything anywhere to improve the team that might face the Bucks again this year.

Last night's game? Flashback city.

Ainge spent three years trying to get Davis and never, ever once, beyond trading half the team for Davis on a one year deal, did anyone anywhere indicate that Davis would actually want to play in Boston.

So we get Kanter and Poirier? The drop from first to second prize is pretty steep.

Anyways, the slump will end and probably because their shooting is going to improve as they have solid shooters.

Bux + Pistonees combined for
90-165 (54.5%)
From the floor.

If this enemy shooting is going to continue? Ainge is going to have a heck of a draft pick this spring.

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2020, 09:25:58 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

I also get very confused as to why everyone here thinks this team was meant to contend for a championship anyways... We lost Horford, and Kyrie in free agency, and the main consensus was that we were going to be re-tooling pieces to possibly contend in the future or strictly re-building by going young. We sort of went in both routes by acquiring Kemba, but the objective was that we were going to give the keys to Jays, see if there's anything left in the tank for Hayward, and how our bench/young players turn out. And the possibility that we were going to have another decent valuable asset in the Grizzlies pick, but every growing day it only reinforces the probability that it'll end up outside of the lottery.

You know why everyone thinks this team was meant to contend?

Because they gave Kemba 34m per year.

Teams don't spend that kind of money if they don't intend to become contenders.

Before Ainge signed Kemba, Ainge said he's prepared to build around the two Jays.

Then he gave Kemba the max.

Clearly Ainge and the Celts do not want to rebuild after losing Kyrie and Horford.

And to Ainge's credit, Celts are in a position to win now, Celtic record says so.

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2020, 09:56:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Before Ainge signed Kemba, Ainge said he's prepared to build around the two Jays.

Clearly Ainge and the Celts do not want to rebuild after losing Kyrie and Horford.

And to Ainge's credit, Celts are in a position to win now, Celtic record says so.
That is some seriously flawed logic, especially given the fact that non contending teams give out huge contracts all the time.

Kyrie and Horford leaving gave the Celtics an unexpected, very large amount of cap space, enough with a little work to land a max level free agent. They landed one exactly where they needed one, as a lead, scoring PG. Not using that space would have meant possibly losing it next offseason. It's always best to use that space and to try to sign the best free agent available to you.

This team is still building around the Jay's and the long term plan is definitely to contend. But like Danny saying he didn't expect the 2018 team to be that good after losing Hayward and how he said he didn't expect last year's team to be so disappointing, I think after this year Danny will once again say, he didn't expect this team to be this good this fast. I don't think he thought "I want to contend in 2019-20 so let's sign Kemba." I expect his thinking was more like "I want to contend in 2021and beyond so since I have the cap space to sign a great player, let's not waste the opportunity, let's add him to a ridiculously young team and Kemba can help in developing, teaching and leading this team the right way."

Also, if Danny was all in to contend this year, he wouldn't have saddled his coach with a bazillion rookies and players with little to no experience. Simply put, young and inexperienced teams are fake contenders at the very best or, most likely, non-contenders.

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2020, 10:06:47 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

That is some seriously flawed logic, especially given the fact that non contending teams give out huge contracts all the time.

Kyrie and Horford leaving gave the Celtics an unexpected, very large amount of cap space, enough with a little work to land a max level free agent. They landed one exactly where they needed one, as a lead, scoring PG. Not using that space would have meant possibly losing it next offseason. It's always best to use that space and to try to sign the best free agent available to you.

This team is still building around the Jay's and the long term plan is definitely to contend. But like Danny saying he didn't expect the 2018 team to be that good after losing Hayward and how he said he didn't expect last year's team to be so disappointing, I think after this year Danny will once again say, he didn't expect this team to be this good this fast. I don't think he thought "I want to contend in 2019-20 so let's sign Kemba." I expect his thinking was more like "I want to contend in 2021and beyond so since I have the cap space to sign a great player, let's not waste the opportunity, let's add him to a ridiculously young team and Kemba can help in developing, teaching and leading this team the right way."

Also, if Danny was all in to contend this year, he wouldn't have saddled his coach with a bazillion rookies and players with little to no experience. Simply put, young and inexperienced teams are fake contenders at the very best or, most likely, non-contenders.

The reason why the Celts are stuck with a bazillion of rookies is because the Anthony Davis trade to Boston didn't happen.

All those picks accumulated over the years were for the Anthony Davis trade.

Ainge also tried to trade up to #4 to get Garland, but that also didn't happen.
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-rumors-celtics-eyeing-trade-no-4-pick-take-darius-garland
The Celtics are one of three teams considering trading up to the No. 4 overall pick in Thursday's draft with the intention of selecting Vanderbilt point guard Darius Garland, ESPN's Jonathan Givony reported Tuesday.

Even Bulpett of the Herald said Celts were not done dealing after signing Kemba.

If Celts were not trying to win now then when go into luxury tax territory in the near future?

Building around Brown and Tatum was a sound strategy.

But Ainge changed his mind and went all in on Kemba.

The final act will be what Ainge does at the trade deadline.

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2020, 10:22:53 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
I don't think Kemba would've come to Boston if Ainge told Kemba to sign with the Celts to help the Celts with the rebuilding.

Ainge would've certainly told Kemba to come to Boston to replace Kyrie so that the Celts will be right back in the hunt.

That's not flawed logic.