Author Topic: Now will Paul Pierce finally be recognized as an Elite player by national media?  (Read 12010 times)

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
Ian Thomsen in SI said this about Paul/KG offense dynamic:

Kevin Garnett had been the Celtics' reliable go-to scorer of this series, but on Sunday he produced 13 points and 13 rebounds as a complement to Pierce. This was the formula the Celtics had been seeking -- with Pierce as the provocative scorer getting into the paint and Garnett as a tremendous secondary option -- and it took the pressure of a Game 7 to deliver it. "Tonight was very simple," said Garnett. "Get the ball to Paul Pierce, get the hell out of the way. That's exactly what it was. That was the game plan. That was what we did."

Could some of us have gotten it reversed?   All this insistence on KG at the post as our primary offensive option.  As good as that is, KG will not give you 40 points down the block and he disappears too often come crunchtime.  Maybe we should let Paul be Batman and KG his Robin.  Our best option appears to be giving the ball to Pierce at the top of the key, running high pick-and-rolls with KG/House/Rondo, and let him create plays.  This was the primary thing they run the past three games and they won two.  They run it down the stretch in our big win in Detroit in the regular season.  The big caveat is of course Paul's turnovers.   Paul had only two today.  He played very aggressive but well under control.

Offline Smitty

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 11
Tanner,

Great point about PP being Batman and KG being Robin.  PP is our go-to guy that wants the ball in crunch time.  KG doesn't want it like PP in the 4th.

Also, LeBron did outscore PP, but PP had an Efficiency Rating of 37 to Bron's 36.  PP was NOT clearly better, but slightly better tonight.  That being said, it is NOT about a one-on-one contest, but about who wins.  Someone mentioned that already, just thought I would reiterate it:-))

Smitty

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Kevin Garnett had been the Celtics' reliable go-to scorer of this series, but on Sunday he produced 13 points and 13 rebounds as a complement to Pierce. This was the formula the Celtics had been seeking -- with Pierce as the provocative scorer getting into the paint and Garnett as a tremendous secondary option -- and it took the pressure of a Game 7 to deliver it. "Tonight was very simple," said Garnett. "Get the ball to Paul Pierce, get the hell out of the way. That's exactly what it was. That was the game plan. That was what we did."

Could some of us have gotten it reversed?   All this insistence on KG at the post as our primary offensive option.  As good as that is, KG will not give you 40 points down the block and he disappears too often come crunchtime.  Maybe we should let Paul be Batman and KG his Robin.  Our best option appears to be giving the ball to Pierce at the top of the key, running high pick-and-rolls with KG/House/Rondo, and let him create plays.  This was the primary thing they run the past three games and they won two.  They run it down the stretch in our big win in Detroit in the regular season.  The big caveat is of course Paul's turnovers.   Paul had only two today.  He played very aggressive but well under control.

I agree with the general idea, when PP is on he is actually more offensively versatile than KG, but also remember that KG's had a 32 point/21 rebound game in his first game 7 (a 3 point game in the low 80s, no less) - he can be clutch and consistently score in a close, big game when needed.  After Game 1, KG seemed out of rhythm in the post most of the time this series, though.  I think it's an embarrassment of riches under ideal circumstances, but I'm glad we had one Batman out there this afternoon.

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39

Could some of us have gotten it reversed?   All this insistence on KG at the post as our primary offensive option.  As good as that is, KG will not give you 40 points down the block and he disappears too often come crunchtime.  Maybe we should let Paul be Batman and KG his Robin.  Our best option appears to be giving the ball to Pierce at the top of the key, running high pick-and-rolls with KG/House/Rondo, and let him create plays.  This was the primary thing they run the past three games and they won two.  They run it down the stretch in our big win in Detroit in the regular season.  The big caveat is of course Paul's turnovers.   Paul had only two today.  He played very aggressive but well under control.

I agree with the general idea, when PP is on he is actually more offensively versatile than KG, but also remember that KG's had a 32 point/21 rebound game in his first game 7 (a 3 point game in the low 80s, no less) - he can be clutch and consistently score in a close, big game when needed.  After Game 1, KG seemed out of rhythm in the post most of the time this series, though.  I think it's an embarrassment of riches under ideal circumstances, but I'm glad we had one Batman out there this afternoon.

Another thing to remember-- KG was being bodied all series by Wallace and Varejao. He never really got position deep in the post, and was forced to operate from the perimeter. Rasheed Wallace-- at least during the regular season-- allows KG to get very deep. We could see some big games out of KG against Detroit.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Another thing to remember-- KG was being bodied all series by Wallace and Varejao. He never really got position deep in the post, and was forced to operate from the perimeter. Rasheed Wallace-- at least during the regular season-- allows KG to get very deep. We could see some big games out of KG against Detroit.

Good point, TP.  With the exception of Smith, no one who spent much time guarding KG was at all part of the Cavs' offensive game plan - they were just out there to bang with him and disrupt him offensively.  Wallace plays a little softer, and KG seems to mentally own him overall and has been successful posting him up this year.  Maxiell is much stronger but probably not tall enough to challenge his shot, and McDyess is lagging all around and can only be semi-effective in stretches.  Not sure how much Amir Johnson we'll see given the importance of the games and how badly KG picked him apart this year.  Overall, the Pistons don't seem to have a clear answer for KG, so he may break out this series - doubly so given that Prince (mostly focused on defense, though they've needed his offense more this year) will be trying to lock Pierce down all series, especially after that Game 7.

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
we have our answer:

This was a coming-out game that Pierce had been waiting an entire career to experience, a performance when Pierce made himself worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence with James, Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan as one of the game's elite and clutch players.

from today's daily dime.

Offline Tenacious D

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 232
Paul had by far the superior game.  He shot better (13-23 vs. 14-29) much better from 3 (4-6 vs 3-11) went to the line 7 fewer times, but shot much better (11-12 vs. 14-19).

Paul had/has the all round game. Bron isnt yet the full inside outside threat  and isnt all there on D. Yet. But the media let go storyline? Nevah-- they dont call it the echo chamber for nothing. Not to mention public affairs reporting.
"Celtics Bring Structure And Discipline To A Chaotic World"

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Paul had by far the superior game.  He shot better (13-23 vs. 14-29) much better from 3 (4-6 vs 3-11) went to the line 7 fewer times, but shot much better (11-12 vs. 14-19).

Paul had/has the all round game. Bron isnt yet the full inside outside threat  and isnt all there on D. Yet. But the media let go storyline? Nevah-- they dont call it the echo chamber for nothing. Not to mention public affairs reporting.

Last night, you can argue that Pierce had a better all-around game, although that basically comes down to offensive output, because neither player played much defense, and the rebounds and assists were close (although Lebron's numbers were better).

However, in general, there's a pretty wide gap between Lebron and Pierce, both in terms of scoring and in all-around game.  Lebron has the ability to play good defense, as he did on Pierce most of this series.  He gets significantly more rebounds and assists than Pierce (7.9/7.2 vs. 5.1/4.5) and he shoots a higher percentage (48.4% vs. 46.4% ).  Pierce is a slightly better outside shooter, but he still only hit 30 more three pointers than Lebron this year.

There's no need to downplay Lebron when boosting Pierce; both are great players.  Lebron is just greater.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline Marco Vincent

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 19
I just remember..I think it was Kenny Smith... during a roundtable at half time when we were in Cleveland.   All the talking heads were saying how (and why) we couldn't win on the road. 

I think it was Kenny Smith who was like "The Celtics don't look like the number 1 team.  The Celtics simply can't win an NBA championship because they don't have anyone who can go off for 40 points."

All I was thinking about was how Paul Pierce could.

I'm glad he did.  ;D

ps if anyone remembers who it was I would love the correction.
New England Sports... Feel the Beastmode-ness!

-city of champions-

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
I just remember..I think it was Kenny Smith... during a roundtable at half time when we were in Cleveland.   All the talking heads were saying how (and why) we couldn't win on the road. 

I think it was Kenny Smith who was like "The Celtics don't look like the number 1 team.  The Celtics simply can't win an NBA championship because they don't have anyone who can go off for 40 points."

All I was thinking about was how Paul Pierce could.

I'm glad he did.  ;D

ps if anyone remembers who it was I would love the correction.

I think I heard what you were talking about, and I remembered it through tonight.  But I think it was the pregame to an early Atlanta game, and it wasn't Kenny Smith, and it was more like "the celtics just don't have a superstar that can go off for 40 points."

So either Kenny was copying something already said or one of us is getting confused...

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Watching 1st and 10.   First two topics was about Lebron. 

Next down is going to be about baseball.