Author Topic: Game 7 Rotation  (Read 4436 times)

Game 7 Rotation
« on: May 18, 2008, 08:42:17 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Has anyone read anything about what Doc is thinking for Game 7.  The key things of interest are probably:

1. Will House's return after 12 games on the bench continue?  Or will Sam-I-Am be back?

2. Will Powe, the Celtics most consistent big guy off the bench in the regular season, get any minutes?  Or will Doc stick with Big Baby?

Is there any news?

Re: Game 7 Rotation
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 09:14:09 AM »

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
First, I think Sam Cassell will lead things off since he has played much better at home than he has on the road.  However, if his slump continues, expect the C's to go to House in the second half.

To answer your second question, Doc should go with Big Baby.  I don't understand how you can call Leon Powe our most consistent big man off the bench.  He's been very INCONSISTENT.  I'm not saying Big Baby has been consistent, but at least he provides superior inside defense, a better jump shot, and a better back to the basket game.  He's also a good passer, and Leon Powe doesn't even know what the word "pass" means.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 09:25:57 AM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
In my honest opinion, the starting lineup should look like this...

Perkins
Garnett
POSEY
Pierce
Rondo

Put Posey on Lebron the whole game instead of Pierce. With Pierce defending Wally, it creates a mismatch for us on the offensive end. First one off the bench would obviously be Ray Allen. He has a great history scoring with our second unit during the regular season. Keep Cassell as far away from the court as possibile.

Brown
Garnett
Posey
Allen
House

When Lebron comes out, Posey can come out.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 09:32:14 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Keep the rotation we've been playing with but only play Rondo for the whole entire game.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 09:39:45 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
With regards to the Powe/Big Baby issue, the data from the regular season suggests you are incorrect + John Hollinger on ESPN argues that this is one of the biggest flaws in Doc's game planning so far.  And he wrote this before Game 6.  Is there some data suggesting Big Baby is more efficient?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Awards_080516

Put Me In Coach Award: Leon Powe, Celtics
Besides Kevin Garnett, the Celtics have four other big men. Of the four, Powe was easily the most effective in the regular season, but he's been an invisible man in the playoffs. Though the other three are struggling, Powe is averaging only 15.8 minutes per game in the postseason. In the past two games, he's sat in the second half while Doc Rivers played Glen Davis and P.J. Brown together.

This is a bizarre move. Powe, who gets little fanfare nationally, was one of the league's most effective power forwards in the regular season on a per-minute basis. His per-40 minute averages of 22.0 points and 11.2 boards jump off the page, as does his 57.2 percent shooting. In fact, Powe's 20.97 PER was seventh in the league among power forwards, outranking All-Stars Antawn Jamison, David West and Shawn Marion.

Given that Powe is both abundantly more effective statistically and has a massively better plus-minus in the postseason than Davis or Brown, it's been an odd choice to say the least. TNT's Mike Fratello alluded to five defensive mistakes Powe made in Game 2 of the Atlanta game during a telecast, presumably because Doc Rivers told him this. But one could also retort by pointing out all of the offensive mistakes that could be alleviated by having another frontcourt player in the game who actually scores once in a while.

First, I think Sam Cassell will lead things off since he has played much better at home than he has on the road.  However, if his slump continues, expect the C's to go to House in the second half.

To answer your second question, Doc should go with Big Baby.  I don't understand how you can call Leon Powe our most consistent big man off the bench.  He's been very INCONSISTENT.  I'm not saying Big Baby has been consistent, but at least he provides superior inside defense, a better jump shot, and a better back to the basket game.  He's also a good passer, and Leon Powe doesn't even know what the word "pass" means.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 09:44:40 AM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40

Powe isn't even getting a CHANCE. this is so bizarre because Baby was not even in the ROTATION for the final part of the regular season.

Baby has played well but I really feel that Leon is the type of player who can make a real difference out there.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 10:08:59 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
i dunno but against cle baby has a better matchup for me than powe.. plus with the fact that when powe has the ball underneath you could almost expect a shot

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 10:17:33 AM »

Offline noblegreen

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
i like your rotation ideas however lets not be naive and think that posey has gotten the better end of lebron as of late, it is poseys fault garnett got posterized.  I would throw posey at in early as well but then put pierce on him for a few.  With a great player like that you have to keep changing up what you do to confuse them to not know what you are doing.  If you have posey on him 42+ (which is how many minutes lebron plays) then posey will get eaten up for 35+ and not to mention posey alone cant wear lebron down all game.

just keep forcing him to be a jump shooter because hes just an average superstar when you do that.  he scores most of his points attacking the rim.

lets just make sure its loud in there and we will win. its the noise that will make the role players disappear for the away team.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 10:25:38 AM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
In my honest opinion, the starting lineup should look like this...

Perkins
Garnett
POSEY
Pierce
Rondo

Put Posey on Lebron the whole game instead of Pierce. With Pierce defending Wally, it creates a mismatch for us on the offensive end. First one off the bench would obviously be Ray Allen. He has a great history scoring with our second unit during the regular season. Keep Cassell as far away from the court as possibile.

Brown
Garnett
Posey
Allen
House

When Lebron comes out, Posey can come out.

this is my starting lineup to. I've been asking for this all series. It just makes sense! and ray allen's play has done nothing to change my mind. I'm even more worried about him trailing rip hamilton off screens if we get past today. He makes Wally look like he's carrying Miami of Ohio in the NCAA's right now.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 11:27:57 AM »

Offline IdahoGreen

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Does anyone else think that Powe could stop Lebron?  He could be our secret weapon.

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 12:00:01 PM »

Offline CLeht11

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 2
Really, is Leon Powe hurt in some way?  Why in the world is he all of a sudden seeing no minutes at all?  Even if Doc wants to play BBD - balance their minutes out!

Has he not realized what Powe brings for this team?  Powe has put his body on the line so many times for this team this year and even last playoff series.  I think it was Game 7 vs. Atlanta he took like 3 charges.  How can you bench a guy that has the desire to win like that?  I like both BBD and Powe, but I really really think Doc should try and balance those minutes out.  They are significantly different players, but they are great in their own way.
Who said the East was the JV conference? See you next year, Mr. Bryant!

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 12:10:59 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Does anyone else think that Powe could stop Lebron?  He could be our secret weapon.

Not a chance unless Lebron was blindfolded and hopping around on one foot and even then the officials would find a way to send him to the FT line. I love Leon but seriously he doesn't have the speed, lateral quickness, or star power to get the benefit on the calls to defend Stern's cash cow. He'd definitely give Bubba Well's fastest DQ record(3 min) a run for it's money.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 12:22:13 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Who knows the game 7 rotation. I believe that's why we are playing a game 7. There is no rhyme or reason behind Doc's substitutions. I maintain Doc did his best coaching last year when he had only 8 players. There is alot to be said about limiting his options. (Less room for error.)We have the best team. But now we have but ourselves in position to be positioned.

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 12:30:34 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Really, is Leon Powe hurt in some way?  Why in the world is he all of a sudden seeing no minutes at all?  Even if Doc wants to play BBD - balance their minutes out!

Has he not realized what Powe brings for this team?  Powe has put his body on the line so many times for this team this year and even last playoff series.  I think it was Game 7 vs. Atlanta he took like 3 charges.  How can you bench a guy that has the desire to win like that?  I like both BBD and Powe, but I really really think Doc should try and balance those minutes out.  They are significantly different players, but they are great in their own way.

I believe the company line right now is "missed defensive assignments."  Not saying I agree with the way the minutes have been just jerked around (I don't at all), but figured that might shed some light on what's going on.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 12:46:51 PM »

Offline CLeht11

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 2
He missed a couple defensive assignments, but I really don't agree with benching him and crushing his confidence.  These bench players are really getting messed with mentally by Doc and it's no good.
Who said the East was the JV conference? See you next year, Mr. Bryant!