Author Topic: Blame Pie: Doc/Players  (Read 7674 times)

Re: Blame Pie: Doc/Players
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 12:30:35 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
The players deserve somewhere between 85-95% of the blame.

Bingo and a TP for you! The players have not executed the game plan...PERIOD!! Doc in reality has been forced into some bad decisions, strictly because the players are not doing what they are instructed to do. He has to tamper with the rotations, just because he is trying to find a combination, any combination that will execute the game plan.

Execution is the key to victory and to this point the players have not been able to find the lock.

Hubie Brown, who's forgotten more about basketball than you, Who and I will ever learn, thinks Rivers needs to make adjusments.  A flawed game plan, using the wrong players, is going to be flawed no matter how well it's executed.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595

Bingo and a TP for you! The players have not executed the game plan...PERIOD!! Doc in reality has been forced into some bad decisions, strictly because the players are not doing what they are instructed to do. He has to tamper with the rotations, just because he is trying to find a combination, any combination that will execute the game plan.

Execution is the key to victory and to this point the players have not been able to find the lock.

Hubie Brown, who's forgotten more about basketball than you, Who and I will ever learn, thinks Rivers needs to make adjusments.  A flawed game plan, using the wrong players, is going to be flawed no matter how well it's executed.

You are right on. Except for last night circus, the players have not played smart enough to win these games. Too many jump shots and panic when they were behind.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 12:49:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411

That's why Doc deserves part of the blame

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 01:31:19 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
First an aside....please lay off Garnett and Rondo.  Garnett is carrying us and Rondo remains vital whether he scores or not....

I believe that Doc, in his mind, is allowing home victories to dictate his rotations on the road.  We win at home, sometimes easily, so why can't the same guys win on the road?  I have a problem with thisline of reasoning if it is in fact representative.  I said during the Atlanta series that they may not need Eddie or Tony at home, but they sure needed him/them on the road.....

He deserves credit for going to Eddie House last night.  Did you see the ball moving again?  But, and this is what I was thinking during the game, why leave Rondo, who can ignite at any moment and commits the fewest turnovers of all our guards (at least per amount of time he has the ball), out of the game for so long??  Why not leave House in the game when Rondo comes back in and give Ray Allen a breather for heaven's sake?  And you know, Doc was right, Cassell is a bit like Vinnie the microwave, so when Rondo needed a breather in the second half, why not bring in Cassell for Rondo and House for Ray Allen, just to see if Cassell was going to be on?

It was clear House was in a groove, both shooting wise and how he handled the ball, so give Ray Allen a breather, let House play but by all means don't banish Rondo (he's earned the right to play through rough stretches), and see what Cassell's got.  This is not hindsight...these were my thoughts during the game....

I love Ray Allen and I'm not advocating he be benched.....But what's with the riding a cold player into the ground when you've got potential assets on the bench??

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 01:46:05 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
And another thing.  Good shooting is contagious.  Ray Allen could actually be helped by Eddie House and or Cassell hitting a few threes in his place.  The answer to Ray's cold shooting isn't the tired old line:  he's gotta shoot his way out of it.  If others get hot, Ray might follow, give it a try....

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »

Offline patceltic

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
 And Where was Powe when Baby and Perk were piling up the fouls?! Insert him for if nothing else, rebounds. Baby was too short on alot of oportunities,

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 01:53:44 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
And one more thing: 

Another problem with letting Rondo sit too long is that when Eddie's at the point doing the ball movement thing, Pierce and or Allen are more likely to start overhandling/turning the ball over (this can happen also with Rondo at point but I think more so with Eddie). So after the Celtics had got it close in the third I started getting nervous because Rondo hadn't come back in and Pierce was starting to overhandle the ball and BAM!!!  turnovers at crucial moments.  Rondo should have been back in the game with instruction to run everything with Eddie moved over to Ray Allen's spot......

The importance of turnovers must be addressed:  Let Rondo, Eddie and Sam control the ball and start the attack, with Eddie taking a few (please even a few) of Ray Allen's minutes.....

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 01:56:57 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Final point:

If Eddie needs a rest, Cassell could also take a few of Ray's minutes while Rondo remains at the point.  I realized there are size issues, which is why I'm talking about very small doses.....if a guy is hot the size issue will melt away.....

What I'm saying is that Eddie's at long last return should not mean long stretches with no Rondo!!  And Cassell also doesn't need to be banished....!!!!

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 02:40:06 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
Yep, Perk was plus-11 last night.

Really?  OK, I stand corrected on this one.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 04:39:13 PM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
I don't think anyone thinks that Doc deserves no blame whatsoever, at the same time, many are calling it all his fault and that cant be any further from the reality of it.

I can honestly say we could do better for a coach and have called for doc's head more than once, but when your so called "leaders" are not following the game plan, it falls in the category of lack of execution.
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 07:11:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
What makes this thread silly is that Cleveland fans are probably doing the same thing each time they lose -- looking for someone on the team to blame. No one likes to give credit to opponents.

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 08:15:09 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

tp for representing with the mug. ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 09:03:17 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Im just going to ask it, does Doc have ADD.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2008, 08:54:47 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
You can't agree with him about Hubie Brown and think the players deserve over 80% of the blame.  The point Brown was making is that the *game plan itself is flawed*.  If the game plan is flawed how can it be 80% on the players?  What is the logic?

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2008, 09:36:01 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
You can't agree with him about Hubie Brown and think the players deserve over 80% of the blame.  The point Brown was making is that the *game plan itself is flawed*.  If the game plan is flawed how can it be 80% on the players?  What is the logic?

Beacuse the problems that are coming from Doc are not significant enough to make the players play this poorly. It's nowhere close to that. That's why Doc deserves part of the blame but very little in comparison to the players.