Author Topic: Nobody Tell Me Officiating Didn't Decide This One  (Read 32118 times)

Re: Nobody Tell Me Officiating Didn't Decide This One
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 11:47:12 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I think it might get worse on Sunday. They need LeBron to start winning tittles so he can complete his transformation into the new Jordan. Unless he has to let Kobe win a few first. Then I think we might gets some calls.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 11:48:05 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
at first they said it was 50/50 but after they showed the replay the girl said it like big danz said

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 11:50:05 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
they said it was 50/50 at first but when they replayed it the girl said it should be a block

Your right. I missed that

Aren't those two statements mutually exclusive? They can't have said both?

I could've sworn she said it was a goal-tend cause it went off the glass? i watched at my friends place so I can't go back on tivo or anything to be sure. Really the first half felt like cavs home announcers on league pass, but I thought the second half the announcers weren't as uber-lebron.

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 11:52:44 PM »

Offline Boston3Party

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
I hate blaming the refs. I really do, it drives me nuts when I see other teams blaming the refs but this game was so poorly officiated there is nowhere else to place blame. Basic call at key points were inexplicably messed up. Notably the Pierce charge at the end, the Joe Smith travel, and the shoulda been goaltend on Ray Allen's lay up. Hopefully this does not happen in Boston because it would be a shame to see this season be wiped out by the NBA's desire to once again showcase Lebron on the NBA's biggest stage in the finals.

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 11:54:16 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
they said it was 50/50 at first but when they replayed it the girl said it should be a block

I could've sworn she said it was a goal-tend cause it went off the glass? i watched at my friends place so I can't go back on tivo or anything to be sure. Really the first half felt like cavs home announcers on league pass, but I thought the second half the announcers weren't as uber-lebron.

Doris said it was a goaltend after the reply.  Even though the ball hit the side of the glass, the rule does state that if it's still going up, which it was, you can't hit it.

By the book it was a goaltend and Doris astutely pointed that out.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 11:54:38 PM »

Offline galen

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 15
that reffing was the worst stuff i've seen.  clearly the ball went off the corner of the glass.  clearly lebron was moving everywhere when they called the charge on PP.  Paul was hacked every dang time he went to the hoop and was almost never called.  that was a joke!!!

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 11:55:10 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
I hate blaming the refs. I really do, it drives me nuts when I see other teams blaming the refs but this game was so poorly officiated there is nowhere else to place blame. Basic call at key points were inexplicably messed up. Notably the Pierce charge at the end, the Joe Smith travel, and the shoulda been goaltend on Ray Allen's lay up. Hopefully this does not happen in Boston because it would be a shame to see this season be wiped out by the NBA's desire to once again showcase Lebron on the NBA's biggest stage in the finals.

Don't be surprised if it doesn't. Stern has always been about $ over the game.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 11:56:36 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
Just watching the Laker game in Utah and the Lakers are getting all the calls. Is it just a coincidence that the lakers get the calls and the C's don't get them in a game six on the road.

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 11:56:56 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Doris said it was a goaltend after the reply.  Even though the ball hit the side of the glass, the rule does state that if it's still going up, which it was, you can't hit it.

By the book it was a goaltend and Doris astutely pointed that out.

Isn't the rule that if the ball is on it's way DOWN you can't hit it, not on it's way UP?! (If it hit the glass before getting blocked by Delonte then it is a goal tend) I couldn't ever tell for sure, but it would have added 1 point. Not the difference maker but another bad call by the refs.

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 11:58:35 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
Just watching the Laker game in Utah and the Lakers are getting all the calls. Is it just a coincidence that the lakers get the calls and the C's don't get them in a game six on the road.

Difference is Lakers have Kobe and we all know who the refs favor when their is a big star in the game.  ::)

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 11:59:02 PM »

Offline Boston3Party

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
Here's a pretty telling stat: Lebron James 15 free throw attempts - Boston Cletics as a team 13 free throw attempts

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 12:06:51 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Interesting half time show during the Lakers Jazz game.  The analysis after the Celts highlight was focused around those two calls.  Both agreed that they were bad calls and had a large effect on this game.  Wilbon even almost made it seem like the home team's record during this round is from calls like this.

He is absolutely right and would've gone on more if it wouldnt've cost him his job.  Reassuring to see the national guys spotlight this.  Also telling that Wilbon said as much as he did knowing that the NBA brass would be watching him.

It's one thing to be disappointed with the team after a game.  This is somewhat of a different feeling though.  I think we would've had to play an almost perfect game to win this series in Cleveland.  Hopefully this hometown theme continues on Sunday...
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 12:11:12 AM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
REALLY? 13 freethrows? We took it to the basket sooooo many times. Baby got killed every time he was underneath (and got shafted on the defensive end as well... remember that "foul " when he stole it from Z in the post coming around the backside?).

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2008, 12:14:26 AM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
Interesting half time show during the Lakers Jazz game.  The analysis after the Celts highlight was focused around those two calls.  Both agreed that they were bad calls and had a large effect on this game.  Wilbon even almost made it seem like the home team's record during this round is from calls like this.

He is absolutely right and would've gone on more if it wouldnt've cost him his job.  Reassuring to see the national guys spotlight this.  Also telling that Wilbon said as much as he did knowing that the NBA brass would be watching him.

It's one thing to be disappointed with the team after a game.  This is somewhat of a different feeling though.  I think we would've had to play an almost perfect game to win this series in Cleveland.  Hopefully this hometown theme continues on Sunday...

and then journeyman Jon Barry bashed KG.

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2008, 12:16:38 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Isn't the rule that if the ball is on it's way DOWN you can't hit it, not on it's way UP?! (If it hit the glass before getting blocked by Delonte then it is a goal tend) I couldn't ever tell for sure, but it would have added 1 point. Not the difference maker but another bad call by the refs.

EJ, usually, yes, but the rules are slightly different when the ball hits the glass.  If it hits the side of the backboard and is below the rim on its way down you can grab it because it's a rebound.  Otherwise, off the glass it's a GT, even if it's still going up.
God bless and good night!