Author Topic: I am getting tired of Damian Lillard already.  (Read 5631 times)

Re: I am getting tired of Damian Lillard already.
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2023, 10:17:28 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Getting Lillard this season would all but guarantee a title if everyone was healthy come playoff time because it means you'd still have Tatum and Brown plus Lillard and probably Porzingis.  I like White, but if all it took to get Lillard was White, Brogdon, filler, and picks you do that without hesitation every single time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2023, 11:44:36 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Getting Lillard this season would all but guarantee a title if everyone was healthy come playoff time because it means you'd still have Tatum and Brown plus Lillard and probably Porzingis.  I like White, but if all it took to get Lillard was White, Brogdon, filler, and picks you do that without hesitation every single time.

If that's the case, it would have  been a lot better if this trade happened a month ago. We'd have more playing time available at the start of free agency and would have landed some of those better vet minimum free agents.

If we trade half the team for dame now, it will be much harder to fill those holes.

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2023, 12:04:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If that's the case, it would have  been a lot better if this trade happened a month ago. We'd have more playing time available at the start of free agency and would have landed some of those better vet minimum free agents.

If we trade half the team for dame now, it will be much harder to fill those holes.

While you're right, 1) Brad should have upgraded the roster regardless, rather than bringing in scrubs; and 2) we wouldn't be decimating the team, we'd be doing a 2-for-1.   I think we'd still have a monster roster, health dependent.  The Hospital Celtics would be:

Timelord / Kornet
KP / Horford / Brissett
Tatum / Hauser
Brown / ?
Lillard / Pritchard

Obviously I'd feel a lot better about that squad if it had a guy like Eric Gordon, but there are still a handful of guys out there that could help.

But, it's not happening.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2023, 02:24:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I think the trade that makes the most sense is where Boston also get Nurkic with Rob and PP going to Portland and Brogdon going to LA.

So

Bsoton - Lillard, Nurkic, Hyland
Clippers - Brogdon, Kornet
Portland - Rob, White, Coffey, Pritchard, Morris, Mem 24 1st, Bos 24, 26, 28 1st's and swap in 26 and 27

Boston post trade (2 open spots)
Starters - Lillard, Brown, Tatum, Porzingis,  Nurkic
Rotation - Hyland, Hauser, Brisset, Horford
Deep Bench - Davison, Banton, Champagnie, Walsh, Scrubb, Griffin

Need a couple of vets that could play, but no one is beating that team if they are healthy (and even though we lose a bit more depth, I think Nurkic is the better fit so I'd do that part).

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2023, 02:40:52 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I think the trade that makes the most sense is where Boston also get Nurkic with Rob and PP going to Portland and Brogdon going to LA.

So

Portland - Rob, White, Coffey, Pritchard, Morris, Mem 24 1st, Bos 24, 26, 28 1st's and swap in 26 and 27

Need a couple of vets that could play, but no one is beating that team if they are healthy (and even though we lose a bit more depth, I think Nurkic is the better fit so I'd do that part).
Probably win 70 games with that team
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2023, 02:54:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

So

I would never, ever trade for Nurkic.  Bad player, bad contract.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2023, 03:02:19 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

So

Isn't Nurkic pretty much done as a starter on a good team now? Especially because he's also an injury risk. I also don't really trust Hyland as a locker room guy or defender and with such a stacked offensive team you wouldn't really need his scoring.

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2023, 05:07:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

So

Prior to broken leg, I loved Nurk. Not so much these days. Can't stay on the floor either
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2023, 07:01:39 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

So

Prior to broken leg, I loved Nurk. Not so much these days. Can't stay on the floor either
he has played 108 games over the last 2 seasons. Rob played in 96.  I like the floor spacing of Nurkic with Zinger and Al. 

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2023, 10:11:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

So

he has played 108 games over the last 2 seasons. Rob played in 96.  I like the floor spacing of Nurkic with Zinger and Al.
Didn’t know I brought up Williams’ injury proneness. Nurkic earns significantly more money too.

I hate the idea of him alongside KP on defence. Too slow, both drop coverage bigs. Nurkic doesn’t have Porzingis’ length or Williams’ athleticism to recover.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2023, 10:29:06 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Agreed, total pass on Lillard.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2023, 11:16:44 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

So

Didn’t know I brought up Williams’ injury proneness. Nurkic earns significantly more money too.

I hate the idea of him alongside KP on defence. Too slow, both drop coverage bigs. Nurkic doesn’t have Porzingis’ length or Williams’ athleticism to recover.
You didn't but it is a swap of centers and in that Nurkic has been healthier (so if he can't stay on the floor, neither can Rob).  Nurkic earns about the tax payer mle more than Rob.  Which isn't nothing, but I don't know if that is significant either. 

Obviously Rob is a much better defender, but I don't think Rob and Zinger are going to be all that effective together frankly on either end. 

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2023, 01:28:58 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

So

You didn't but it is a swap of centers and in that Nurkic has been healthier (so if he can't stay on the floor, neither can Rob).  Nurkic earns about the tax payer mle more than Rob.  Which isn't nothing, but I don't know if that is significant either. 

Obviously Rob is a much better defender, but I don't think Rob and Zinger are going to be all that effective together frankly on either end.

Nurkic is an awful defender at this stage of his career and is just not a quality starting center. Big no thanks on him

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2023, 01:32:38 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

So

Agreed. If you have watched him last few years he has fallen off a cliff, especially defensively.

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2023, 02:24:34 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I always liked Lillard, but I’m over this entire story. I really don’t care where he goes (or if he stays). NBA has become a joke with this stuff for years now. I appreciated the Nets snuffing Durant’s request last summer, but we all saw how that ultimately ended. I hope Portland takes a stand, but I’m sure they will cave in the next month or so.

If the players want freedom, opt for non-guaranteed contracts or mutual options for multi-year deals.
CELTICS 2024