Author Topic: Popovich signs 5-year contract  (Read 4555 times)

Re: Popovich signs 5-year contract
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2023, 07:01:53 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I think I hate Pop now more than I hated Phil Jackson back in the day.

I’m sorry, but I’m absolutely convinced that the league rigged the lottery for the spurs.

TP 100% agree Fool me once David Robinson shame on you. Fool me twice Tim Duncan Shane on me. Fool me three times? Wembanyama, your just a [dang] fool to think it's not setup.

My friend and I talked about it all year long. I told another friend that lives in Charlotte.  I said you guys should tank but they will never give you the first pick in the Wemby year.

We then figured he would go to a Texas team. We said maybe the Mavs, no way would they send him to Houston with the biggest young punks in the NBA. 

We said it's going to be the Spurs. Oh and Victor's big time French agent also has is office in Texas.
This is a very funny & silly conspiracy theory. Why would the NBA have a 35 year plan to spoil San Antonio?

So let me ask you this. Do you really think the Nba would send the future of the leauge To Houston?
As opposed to a small market team like the Spurs, I think the league would much prefer Houston getting the #1 pick.   

100% wrong here Tazz. The Worst culture in the Nba. Shot needy players like Jalen Green Porter Jr and Smith who need more touches shots.

San Antonio is a safe haven for stars. Everything will be centered around Wemby. Pop has a proven track record here as well.

Its idiotic when people say Conspiracy. Its simply good business practice.

If this is good business practice, why has the NBA only sent one star to San Antonio recently? Or is the San Antonio safe haven only for generational big men(... and Kawhi)?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2023, 07:13:20 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I’m sorry, but I’m absolutely convinced that the league rigged the lottery for the spurs.

TP 100% agree Fool me once David Robinson shame on you. Fool me twice Tim Duncan Shane on me. Fool me three times? Wembanyama, your just a [dang] fool to think it's not setup.

My friend and I talked about it all year long. I told another friend that lives in Charlotte.  I said you guys should tank but they will never give you the first pick in the Wemby year.

We then figured he would go to a Texas team. We said maybe the Mavs, no way would they send him to Houston with the biggest young punks in the NBA. 

We said it's going to be the Spurs. Oh and Victor's big time French agent also has is office in Texas.
This is a very funny & silly conspiracy theory. Why would the NBA have a 35 year plan to spoil San Antonio?

So let me ask you this. Do you really think the Nba would send the future of the leauge To Houston?
As opposed to a small market team like the Spurs, I think the league would much prefer Houston getting the #1 pick.   

100% wrong here Tazz. The Worst culture in the Nba. Shot needy players like Jalen Green Porter Jr and Smith who need more touches shots.

San Antonio is a safe haven for stars. Everything will be centered around Wemby. Pop has a proven track record here as well.

How else would you describe a secret plan by a group/organization like the NBA (and apparently Ernst & Young, since they oversee the lottery) to break their own rules (and defraud the non-San Antonio owners)?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 07:18:55 AM by BitterJim »
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2023, 02:08:44 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

If this is good business practice, why has the NBA only sent one star to San Antonio recently? Or is the San Antonio safe haven only for generational big men(... and Kawhi)?

I'm going to take this a step further.  The Wemby pick was obviously preordained.  It's laughable to think the league sends him to Houston with these trash culture. Or Charlotte who tanks just about every year and never gets the #1 pick. The league could give a rats you know what about the Hornets.

And although it's considered a brothers paradise for most NBA players.  Wemby is not that type of guy. He needs a safe nurturing atmosphere.  Which is why Duncan and Wemby got sent there,  and Pop plays a huge part.

Brandon Miller going two? Also basically set up. Yes the Hornets could have taken Scoot, but the league knew they wouldn't.  Lamelo and Scoot would have been a huge problem.

Reports were Lamelo didn't like Scoot at all and we all know why.

So that's leaves the third preordained selection.  Damian Lillard finally demanded a trade after what 12 years in Portland.  And wow another coincidence that the second most talented player in the draft is there for a team absolutely desperate to replace Dame Dollar the best Trail Blazer in team history. 

Top 3 picks in this draft. Made by the Supreme Basketball council.

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2023, 05:03:13 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
Much as I'm enjoying the ride, I think what you're suggesting clearly falls into the realm of a nefarious plot on behalf of the NBA, no?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2023, 05:39:27 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Much as I'm enjoying the ride, I think what you're suggesting clearly falls into the realm of a nefarious plot on behalf of the NBA, no?

Merely, Merely,  Merely,  Merely,  Life is but a dream.

Side note. I think Charlotte is just insane for not taking the second best player in the draft Scooter. Although different and Miller will be better than the player I'm about to mention.

It's all to similar to the Jane's Wiseman selection.  Just take clearly the second best prospect and figure it out later. Heck,  I would have drafted Lamelo with the idea that I'm trading him down the line.

Also Melo would have fit it better than most think with the Dubs, but I would have showcased him and gotten the world back.

Now ironically Lamelos team makes the same mistakes.  Scoot is the creal deal.

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2023, 06:00:15 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

Side note. I think Charlotte is just insane for not taking the second best player in the draft Scooter. Although different and Miller will be better than the player I'm about to mention.

It's all to similar to the Jane's Wiseman selection.  Just take clearly the second best prospect and figure it out later. Heck,  I would have drafted Lamelo with the idea that I'm trading him down the line.

Also Melo would have fit it better than most think with the Dubs, but I would have showcased him and gotten the world back.

My pet theory about the Charlotte pick and Scoot is that Jordan (who's talent evaluation skills seem pretty bad) didn't want to pick the guy who would start contributing to their success as he departs as majority owner.

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2023, 06:25:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It’s “merrily”
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2023, 11:01:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I've been thinking about this lately, but I'm beginning to wonder just how good a coach Pop actually is.  He had 1 season pre-Duncan and went 17-47.  Duncan retired after the 2016 season and this is the Spurs since.

61-21
47-35
48-34
32-39
34-48
22-60

That is the definition of progressively worse and it isn't like they were tanking until this past season.  That first season the Spurs won 2 playoff series, but they haven't won one since and haven't been in the playoffs the last 3 seasons.  I understand talent wins and the talent hasn't been there, but Pop is also the guy mostly responsible for the talent (or lack thereof) on the team. 

And to be clear, I'm not suggesting that Pop isn't a good coach, he is, but I used to think he was in the handful of greatest coaches ever, and now I'm not so sure. Be interesting to see what happens in San An over the next few seasons.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2023, 11:21:12 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

It’s “merrily”

Tomato, Potato…  :laugh:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2023, 01:10:48 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
I've been thinking about this lately, but I'm beginning to wonder just how good a coach Pop actually is.  He had 1 season pre-Duncan and went 17-47.  Duncan retired after the 2016 season and this is the Spurs since.

61-21
47-35
48-34
32-39
34-48
22-60

That is the definition of progressively worse and it isn't like they were tanking until this past season.  That first season the Spurs won 2 playoff series, but they haven't won one since and haven't been in the playoffs the last 3 seasons.  I understand talent wins and the talent hasn't been there, but Pop is also the guy mostly responsible for the talent (or lack thereof) on the team. 

And to be clear, I'm not suggesting that Pop isn't a good coach, he is, but I used to think he was in the handful of greatest coaches ever, and now I'm not so sure. Be interesting to see what happens in San An over the next few seasons.

Oh, I get it. Your saying he's Bill Belicheck. Vastly overrated without Brady. A guy who's won one playoff game in 14 years without Brady.

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2023, 01:14:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

61-21
47-35
48-34
32-39
34-48
22-60

I thought Pop did a great job coaching wise over the last few years with dodgy rosters.

The criticism I would have for him has nothing to do with coaching and is entirely on his work in the front office. His failure to create any real rebuilding process that was going anywhere.

Now he has been bailed out by the basketball gods (or a rigged process) and been given Wemby. I would have loved to have seen if Pop could've turned it around without being given a once-in-a-generation talent. I doubt he would have.

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2023, 02:04:18 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

61-21
47-35
48-34
32-39
34-48
22-60

I think it would be fascinating to look at the records of the "greatest coaches of all time" with and without mega stars. I feel like you would have to look for the 50ish win seasons without historically great players. I have a decent understanding of the history of the game, but not well enough to know what year specific greats were missing their stars.
#JKJB

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2023, 02:16:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

61-21
47-35
48-34
32-39
34-48
22-60

I think it would be fascinating to look at the records of the "greatest coaches of all time" with and without mega stars. I feel like you would have to look for the 50ish win seasons without historically great players. I have a decent understanding of the history of the game, but not well enough to know what year specific greats were missing their stars.

I think you are making a clear question of his gm skills here but definitely not of his coach. In first season he won 47 games with Aldridge as the only star (Leonard played 9 games, gonobli and Parker were cooked both averaging under 9 points a game). The second best player have been Kyle Anderson. The second leading scorer was Rudy gay. I think you could make the argument that was the most impressive coaching season of his career. The following season winning 48 games with Aldridge and demar was also kind of incredible. The third best player was probably Brynn Forbes. 48 wins with that roster is fairly impressive. Now his gm skills were bad and he stayed in the middle too long with an aging Aldridge, but coaching wise those seasons were not bad at all.

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2023, 03:03:36 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
Perhaps we should be mindful that good coaching should not necessarily be conflated with a team’s record, because most of the time good coaching doesn’t meaningfully impact a regular season W-L column to a significant degree.

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2023, 03:19:31 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Perhaps we should be mindful that good coaching should not necessarily be conflated with a team’s record, because most of the time good coaching doesn’t meaningfully impact a regular season W-L column to a significant degree.

Joe Mazz just won 57 games. He must be an all timer!

I'm surprised that Pop held on through their rebuild, and I'm excited to see what he does with another team led by a dominant big.