Author Topic: Popovich signs 5-year contract  (Read 4558 times)

Popovich signs 5-year contract
« on: July 08, 2023, 07:42:13 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Hall of Fame coach Gregg Popovich has signed a five-year deal with the San Antonio Spurs, extending a tenure with the team that has spanned nearly three decades.

The contract is worth more than $80 million, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, resetting the coaching market.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37980921/gregg-popovich-signs-new-five-year-deal-spurs

Re: Popovich signs 5-year contract
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 07:51:30 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
It seems like he's still enjoying it a lot. Good for him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 07:59:34 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
He saw Wemby’s first game yesterday and said “There’s work to be done!”

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 08:11:21 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Wow. If he finishes that contract he’ll be 79-80 yrs of age. He must really love teaching the game. I hope he gets one more ring before he calls it quits.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 08:28:58 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Dang, good for Pop!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2023, 10:51:38 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I think I hate Pop now more than I hated Phil Jackson back in the day.

I’m sorry, but I’m absolutely convinced that the league rigged the lottery for the spurs.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2023, 01:21:19 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I’m sorry, but I’m absolutely convinced that the league rigged the lottery for the spurs.

TP 100% agree Fool me once David Robinson shame on you. Fool me twice Tim Duncan Shane on me. Fool me three times? Wembanyama, your just a [dang] fool to think it's not setup.

My friend and I talked about it all year long. I told another friend that lives in Charlotte.  I said you guys should tank but they will never give you the first pick in the Wemby year.

We then figured he would go to a Texas team. We said maybe the Mavs, no way would they send him to Houston with the biggest young punks in the NBA. 

We said it's going to be the Spurs. Oh and Victor's big time French agent also has is office in Texas.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2023, 04:56:40 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

TP 100% agree Fool me once David Robinson shame on you. Fool me twice Tim Duncan Shane on me. Fool me three times? Wembanyama, your just a [dang] fool to think it's not setup.

My friend and I talked about it all year long. I told another friend that lives in Charlotte.  I said you guys should tank but they will never give you the first pick in the Wemby year.

We then figured he would go to a Texas team. We said maybe the Mavs, no way would they send him to Houston with the biggest young punks in the NBA. 

We said it's going to be the Spurs. Oh and Victor's big time French agent also has is office in Texas.
This is a very funny & silly conspiracy theory. Why would the NBA have a 35 year plan to spoil San Antonio?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2023, 05:54:04 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

This is a very funny & silly conspiracy theory. Why would the NBA have a 35 year plan to spoil San Antonio?

Clearly it’s oracular in nature - Stern sent someone back in time to plant the seeds for reparations after Charles Barkley’s comments about the city and the size of their inhabitants.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2023, 06:58:46 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Clearly it’s oracular in nature - Stern sent someone back in time to plant the seeds for reparations after Charles Barkley’s comments about the city and the size of their inhabitants.
"I've got two words for the women of San Antonio...I'm full."
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2023, 11:29:37 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

So let me ask you this. Do you really think the Nba would send the future of the leauge To Houston?

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2023, 11:42:51 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

So let me ask you this. Do you really think the Nba would send the future of the leauge To Houston?
As opposed to a small market team like the Spurs, I think the league would much prefer Houston getting the #1 pick.   

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2023, 11:53:34 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440

Definitely crossed my mind. This was the absolute best place for Wemanyama to go. The environment, the coach, the mentors (Duncan and Parker). Plus, SA already has some promising young players for him to share the court with in Vasell and Johnson. They could be a playoff team in the very near future.

Going to SA put Victor in the best possible position to succeed. With Lebron approaching 40, the league needs Webanyama to be a star. Billions of dollars are riding on it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 11:58:58 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2023, 11:59:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Lol this was pretty funny

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2023, 12:08:16 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

As opposed to a small market team like the Spurs, I think the league would much prefer Houston getting the #1 pick.   

100% wrong here Tazz. The Worst culture in the Nba. Shot needy players like Jalen Green Porter Jr and Smith who need more touches shots.

San Antonio is a safe haven for stars. Everything will be centered around Wemby. Pop has a proven track record here as well.

Its idiotic when people say Conspiracy. Its simply good business practice.