Author Topic: CP3 Traded to Warriors  (Read 3567 times)

Re: CP3 Traded to Warriors
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2023, 03:36:27 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
How does this help the pick that we have from GS next year?

Too early to say.

If they bring Draymond back, I think they're a playoff team.

Probably a worse regular season team though.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2023, 03:39:44 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
So keeping track of what WAS has gotten for Beal:

Landry Shamet
6 Second round picks
4 Pick Swaps

Jordan Poole
Ryan Rollins (20 year old prospect)
2030 first
2027 second

I am not that worried about Chris Paul making GSW better.  Poole is a good player too.  People were assuming that Chris Paul had no value when he was traded.  Getting Poole and some package of picks is pretty good value, even considering Poole's contract.  I think our GSW pick will still be in the 15-25 range, same as before the trade.

What I find interesting is that it is Poole that is getting sent out after he was really the victim in the Draymond Green "attack".  GSW is really enabling a lot of bad behavior from Green.  I think this will backfire on them.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 03:58:08 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2023, 03:40:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Can’t believe GSW is giving up picks in order to bring in a much more fragile player. I get that Poole’s contract is rough, but it’s not like Paul is getting paid nothing this year. I don’t see how this makes them better, but I am happy for Washington turning a guy they were going to cut into a good player and picks.

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2023, 03:41:07 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Well, Poole is getting sent out because Golden State is banking on Green being more important to the team's identity. I'm not sure anyone disputes that.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2023, 03:42:14 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
How does this help the pick that we have from GS next year?

Too early to say.

If they bring Draymond back, I think they're a playoff team.

Probably a worse regular season team though.

Well just the fact that they want CP3 makes you think that GS believes they are a playoff team in the next few years.
But I guess we will see.  A lot of older players, and injuries happen to old guys.

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2023, 03:43:04 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
The Warriors are my second favorite team because I live in the Bay and my goodness this makes me super happy. Thankful, and I don't even like Chris Paul. I just can't stand Jordan Poole. Being tied up having him be the new face of the future was impossible to stomach.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2023, 03:47:05 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
On our pick -- there's an 80%-90% chance that Curry is healthy and the pick is a 20-25 range. Good to have but not course-changing.

After this trade...we're an elongated Curry knock away from being in the 8-12 range. CP3, Klay, Wiggins, Draymond without Curry is not very compelling and two of them are hyper injury prone too.

I think Poole would've kept them in the 15-20 range without Curry just off pure volume scoring.

Side note -- you must be disappointed if you're the front office that you wasted (more or less) Wiseman, Poole, and Kuminga hasn't had a real shot yet. They had a chance at a generational transition that's incredibly hard and rare. LaMelo would've been such a unique fit for that team. Now they're all-in on this timeline and then hoping that they can clear the books and be a max destination.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2023, 03:52:51 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
On our pick -- there's an 80%-90% chance that Curry is healthy and the pick is a 20-25 range. Good to have but not course-changing.

After this trade...we're an elongated Curry knock away from being in the 8-12 range. CP3, Klay, Wiggins, Draymond without Curry is not very compelling and two of them are hyper injury prone too.

I think Poole would've kept them in the 15-20 range without Curry just off pure volume scoring.

Side note -- you must be disappointed if you're the front office that you wasted (more or less) Wiseman, Poole, and Kuminga hasn't had a real shot yet. They had a chance at a generational transition that's incredibly hard and rare. LaMelo would've been such a unique fit for that team. Now they're all-in on this timeline and then hoping that they can clear the books and be a max destination.
Eh, they get to blame it on Myers while they cash in on the last couple years of Curry's career.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2023, 03:56:30 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I was just thinking this. It's odd that they've whiffed on all the young guys they've drafted. Kuminga still has a chance, but they've got to let him play through mistakes.

Picking Wiseman over Ball was a huge mistake in retrospect. With a pick that high, it should always be the best player available instead of drafting for need. I wonder if the Hornets will make the same mistake tonight.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2023, 04:01:02 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Well this is certainly interesting. I'm not sure Chris Paul is actually very good anymore, but he's probably good enough to be a competent backup for non-Steph minutes so that's something.

This deal is probably just as much about getting off from Poole's long term money. Paul has no guaranteed money behind this year (30M guaranteed 24-25) so they can cut him after this year and save a truly ungodly amount of money in salary and tax savings from 2024-2027.

Warriors are going to be interesting next year. They could be good, but Steph, Klay, Draymond and Paul are all old and have injury concerns so that 24' pick has some upside.

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2023, 04:08:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Not good for the Warriors pick.

I was thinking the same thing. With CP3 they now have insurance from a possible injury to Steph Curry. That pick should firmly be a mid-1st now.

That is an interesting case for Poole over CP3 for the team's W-L record without Curry. I thought CP3 would be better for them than Poole without Steph but I see where you are coming from. Poole was a pretty good substitute for Steph with Poole's scoring ability.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 04:20:04 PM by Who »

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2023, 04:11:41 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
I said Paul go to either Clippers or Warriors..warriors will have some “injuries” so they be fresh for playoffs
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2023, 04:17:03 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Not good for the Warriors pick.

I was thinking the same thing. With CP3 they now have insurance from a possible injury to Steph Curry. That pick should firmly be a mid-1st now.

Ehhhh, I'm not sure Chris Paul is any better than a solid backup right now. I think you can make an argument that Poole may be more valuable next year as a regular seaosn player.

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2023, 04:18:04 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
It's nice to have a team to root against because the C's hold their draft pick.  (This was one of my favorite parts of the Ainge/Stevens era.)

It's even nicer when that team is full of players you already love to root against.

Will Draymond and Paul get along?  Two notoriously ornery, aging players, who have been known to be less than stellar teammates.  I can see that powder keg getting ready to explode now.  Here's hoping at least.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2023, 04:22:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
I wonder if GSW would just waive him.

Even if they keep CP3 this year, they surely won't keep him next year for $30mil.