Author Topic: The narrative is back: Boston is racist  (Read 13743 times)

Re: The narrative is back: Boston is racist
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2023, 12:54:33 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I'm often on the side of no racist intent with these things.

When Meyers Leonard said his Jewish slur, I could buy he didn't know what it meant.

But if that slur was being thrown around in his game chat, and then Leonard said Adam Silver is that slur.  I'd find it very hard to believe he didn't know what it meant. 

And if he followed it up with he didn't mean Adam Silver, he meant Steven Adams, I wouldn't believe that at all.

You're telling me this guy just accidentally said one of the very few mainstream names of people who would seem to fit this slur, and I'm supposed to believe that he just misspoke?

The most believable excuse to me would be he didn't realize it was an offensive term for Asians, but thought it was more a slang/colloquial term.  Like referring to a Northerner as a yankee, a British person as a brit, or a Canadian a canuck.  Before this, I had no idea this was a slur, but I find it improbable that this dude didn't know it referred to Asians.  If he owned it, but plead ignorance, I would have probably believed him, but this just seems like a poorly thought out excuse.

And the excuse doesn't really make sense.  If you're going the sexist route, it would make sense to throw out the name of an adult film star or an actress who has some famous topless scenes or a nip slip.  Makes no sense to throw out the name of an actress who I don't think has appeared nude (and I don't think a body double used in a picture in Forgetting Sarah Marshall counts). 

So what's more believable, he associated the word with Asians, or he used the word in a way most red blooded men wouldn't?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2023, 01:12:06 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I understand when people feel offended when there are articles that generalizes the city as 'racists' like some articles have been suggested. I understand the need to be defensive when the generalization includes you as a whole and not the nuisances of the issue. However, what I don't understand is when people go to bat when people are being ****s or when, for example, J. Brown says there are toxic fans out there. They're not saying that everyone is, but there are segment of the population that can be racist or somebody may have acted with a racist connotation.

I take it as say, if somebody was to say that Boston has some of the biggest **** drivers and people being offended by it. Instead of saying that there are **** drivers, as we know there are **** drivers just like there can be anywhere in the world, the conversation turns into 'can you give me specific examples of **** drivers'. Same with let's say, somebody cuts somebody off without using the blinkers. Instead of saying, that was an **** move, people say, 'well, maybe the other driver should be expecting' or 'there wasn't enough time to use the blinker' or 'the other driver had plenty of time to let him in'.

Essentially, we all know there are ****s in the world so when those ****s comes to light, don't feel like you have to defend them like it's your own. Just say that was an **** move and keep on.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2023, 01:13:57 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I guess I can't **** so just replace the ***** with rectum hole.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2023, 02:17:38 PM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar

When Meyers Leonard said his Jewish slur, I could buy he didn't know what it meant.

But if that slur was being thrown around in his game chat, and then Leonard said Adam Silver is that slur.  I'd find it very hard to believe he didn't know what it meant. 

And if he followed it up with he didn't mean Adam Silver, he meant Steven Adams, I wouldn't believe that at all.

You're telling me this guy just accidentally said one of the very few mainstream names of people who would seem to fit this slur, and I'm supposed to believe that he just misspoke?

The most believable excuse to me would be he didn't realize it was an offensive term for Asians, but thought it was more a slang/colloquial term.  Like referring to a Northerner as a yankee, a British person as a brit, or a Canadian a canuck.  Before this, I had no idea this was a slur, but I find it improbable that this dude didn't know it referred to Asians.  If he owned it, but plead ignorance, I would have probably believed him, but this just seems like a poorly thought out excuse.

And the excuse doesn't really make sense.  If you're going the sexist route, it would make sense to throw out the name of an adult film star or an actress who has some famous topless scenes or a nip slip.  Makes no sense to throw out the name of an actress who I don't think has appeared nude (and I don't think a body double used in a picture in Forgetting Sarah Marshall counts). 

So what's more believable, he associated the word with Asians, or he used the word in a way most red blooded men wouldn't?
No, see, if celticsclay doesn't know a word exists, it can't exist for anyone. So: you're wrong.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2023, 02:41:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It's hard to really discuss this without the rules on sexual innuendo, but:

1.  I can accept that somebody can get the names of Mila Kunis and Mina Kimes mixed up. Mi_a K___s.; and

2.  If a man trying to make a joke up on the spot was going to name the "best nips", I'm not sure that he'd go through his entire mental catalog and pick somebody with well-known nipples.  He'd probably just pick the celebrity he thought was the hottest and hope for the best.  I mean, if somebody is answering this question in a sexist way, it's probably as reasonable to say "Anna Kendrick" (go Maine!) as Phoebe Cates.

Now, the debate:  did I subconsciously pick Phoebe Cates because she's of Chinese-Filipino descent on her mother's side (I just looked that up in Wiki), or because she was in an iconic topless scene that is allegedly the most paused moment in the history of VHS? 

That's actually an interesting thought experiment:  if this dummy had shouted out "Phoebe Cates", would we be having the same conversation?  And then, if there *was* blowback about being a racist, would he change his answer to "Phoebe Gates"? 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 02:50:04 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2023, 02:44:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I have listened to Chris Curtis enough to feel I have a sense for him.  I don't know if he is racist but I find his sort of narrative to be very politically arrogant and that sort of political arrogance often includes some elements of "poor people are lazy" and that sort of thing.

As to the nips "slur", I was not aware of this as a slur but it would not be in my vocabulary in any case.  I would never even know that it was a racial slur and in any case, I would never use it in that way, to refer to an Asian person, certainly publicly.  And I would not publicly refer to a woman in that way.  If I did in my work place, it would be an issue, much less if I did it in front of customers which is basically what Curtis did.  It is quite possible that I would lose my job.

If I was Greg Hill or the executive in charge of the show, I would take Curtis off the show forever.  I don't think he is that good anyway.  He is arrogant and argumentative, and seems to be getting worse over time.  There will be more incidents if they bring him back I predict.

From what I've seen of sports radio in general, those two things are likely to get him a promotion.

If he just was arrogant and argumentative about sports, that would be fine, but he often drifts into more political or societal issues and that is where he gets into trouble.  Kind of like what happened to Gerry Callahan.

He also cheated on his wife with one of his subordinates.  I'm actually a bit amazed he was able survive that one never-mind what is going on now.

I don't know the financial / ratings aspect of it all, but it's crazy to me that a guy (other than Trump) can get away with sexual harassment and then go making racist or sexist "jokes" on the air without getting fired.  What's he add to WEEI that makes him worth keeping?

Educating the general public about half century old racial slurs so they are not lost to time.

As an aside, it's interesting how these things develop.  There was an NFL player in the last couple of years who called somebody a g--k.  For those trying to figure out the letters, it's not geek, although I guess that word could be considered offensive by some.  (How did the word for a circus side show who bit the heads off of chickens turn into a putdown for school children who excel in certain areas?  I digress.)

Back to g--ks.  Anybody who has watched any level of television centered around the non-war Vietnam War has heard the term before.  It's a slur, for sure.  I've heard it used as an insult before, particularly when I lived in Oregon in the early 90s. 

So, this player says the word, and I'm thinking, that's disgusting.  But, the player's defense was essentially  "sorry, I didn't know.  My friends and I just use this word to basically mean somebody who is a "spaz"" (another word that will probably be verboten in the future.  And the player grew up in Florida.  So, I did some internet research, including the ever-reliable Urban Dictionary, and there it was:  multiple sources suggesting that g--k meant "spaz", outside of the racial context. 

So, I guess you never know with some of this stuff, in terms of what's in their head and what their intent was.  Words can evolve meanings, and what something means to one person doesn't mean the same to another.

Roy I 100% agree with this and why I think the headlines are so silly. What is more likely someone associating the word nip with nipples? Or someone associating it with a half century old slur? It’s obviously the former but people want to make it about race. It’s funny though you could actually argue the pc police on this one are being a bit racist because the woman is not even Japanese and it’s obviously pretty racist to act like all Asians are a monolithic culture.

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2023, 02:46:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

No, see, if celticsclay doesn't know a word exists, it can't exist for anyone. So: you're wrong.

This is super weird. Don’t need to start making this personal against me. It’s not appreciated and you are not even responding to anything I said. Knock it off.

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2023, 02:51:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I understand when people feel offended when there are articles that generalizes the city as 'racists' like some articles have been suggested. I understand the need to be defensive when the generalization includes you as a whole and not the nuisances of the issue. However, what I don't understand is when people go to bat when people are being ****s or when, for example, J. Brown says there are toxic fans out there. They're not saying that everyone is, but there are segment of the population that can be racist or somebody may have acted with a racist connotation.

I take it as say, if somebody was to say that Boston has some of the biggest **** drivers and people being offended by it. Instead of saying that there are **** drivers, as we know there are **** drivers just like there can be anywhere in the world, the conversation turns into 'can you give me specific examples of **** drivers'. Same with let's say, somebody cuts somebody off without using the blinkers. Instead of saying, that was an **** move, people say, 'well, maybe the other driver should be expecting' or 'there wasn't enough time to use the blinker' or 'the other driver had plenty of time to let him in'.

Essentially, we all know there are ****s in the world so when those ****s comes to light, don't feel like you have to defend them like it's your own. Just say that was an **** move and keep on.

Just to be clear I think this guy should get fired for trying to degrade women in a completely uncalled for way on top of his previous transgressions. I also still think there are plenty of racists fans in Boston and believe stories from people that tell with Marcus smarts story being a prime example. I just don’t think assuming a guy used an extremely rare slur that wasn’t even popular when he was born than the far more likely possibility he was trying to be crass about a woman’s body as useful for anything.

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2023, 02:53:40 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I have listened to Chris Curtis enough to feel I have a sense for him.  I don't know if he is racist but I find his sort of narrative to be very politically arrogant and that sort of political arrogance often includes some elements of "poor people are lazy" and that sort of thing.

As to the nips "slur", I was not aware of this as a slur but it would not be in my vocabulary in any case.  I would never even know that it was a racial slur and in any case, I would never use it in that way, to refer to an Asian person, certainly publicly.  And I would not publicly refer to a woman in that way.  If I did in my work place, it would be an issue, much less if I did it in front of customers which is basically what Curtis did.  It is quite possible that I would lose my job.

If I was Greg Hill or the executive in charge of the show, I would take Curtis off the show forever.  I don't think he is that good anyway.  He is arrogant and argumentative, and seems to be getting worse over time.  There will be more incidents if they bring him back I predict.

From what I've seen of sports radio in general, those two things are likely to get him a promotion.

If he just was arrogant and argumentative about sports, that would be fine, but he often drifts into more political or societal issues and that is where he gets into trouble.  Kind of like what happened to Gerry Callahan.

He also cheated on his wife with one of his subordinates.  I'm actually a bit amazed he was able survive that one never-mind what is going on now.

I don't know the financial / ratings aspect of it all, but it's crazy to me that a guy (other than Trump) can get away with sexual harassment and then go making racist or sexist "jokes" on the air without getting fired.  What's he add to WEEI that makes him worth keeping?

Educating the general public about half century old racial slurs so they are not lost to time.

As an aside, it's interesting how these things develop.  There was an NFL player in the last couple of years who called somebody a g--k.  For those trying to figure out the letters, it's not geek, although I guess that word could be considered offensive by some.  (How did the word for a circus side show who bit the heads off of chickens turn into a putdown for school children who excel in certain areas?  I digress.)

Back to g--ks.  Anybody who has watched any level of television centered around the non-war Vietnam War has heard the term before.  It's a slur, for sure.  I've heard it used as an insult before, particularly when I lived in Oregon in the early 90s. 

So, this player says the word, and I'm thinking, that's disgusting.  But, the player's defense was essentially  "sorry, I didn't know.  My friends and I just use this word to basically mean somebody who is a "spaz"" (another word that will probably be verboten in the future.  And the player grew up in Florida.  So, I did some internet research, including the ever-reliable Urban Dictionary, and there it was:  multiple sources suggesting that g--k meant "spaz", outside of the racial context. 

So, I guess you never know with some of this stuff, in terms of what's in their head and what their intent was.  Words can evolve meanings, and what something means to one person doesn't mean the same to another.

Roy I 100% agree with this and why I think the headlines are so silly. What is more likely someone associating the word nip with nipples? Or someone associating it with a half century old slur? It’s obviously the former but people want to make it about race. It’s funny though you could actually argue the pc police on this one are being a bit racist because the woman is not even Japanese and it’s obviously pretty racist to act like all Asians are a monolithic culture.

How is it obvious?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2023, 03:00:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

How is it obvious?

Maybe obvious is not the best word choice, but perhaps “much more likely. Doesnt this guy have a consistent history of degrading women and making sexist comments, plus his public affair (which was made all the more inappropriate by it being with an intern). Does he have any history of racism towards Asians? I think roy has probably explained it better than I can, but I think he said it well above in his post on just picking a random hot celebrity rather than an obscure racial slur not present anywhere in popular culture for many decades (and then attributing it to the wrong race)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 03:20:29 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2023, 03:22:44 PM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar

This is super weird. Don’t need to start making this personal against me. It’s not appreciated and you are not even responding to anything I said. Knock it off.

if you think it’s weird that’s on you, but its pretty clearly a point about your stated position in this thread.

Or is that not obvious?

Let me make it more clear for you: you’re probably not an authority on whether someone is likely to know a given word :)
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2023, 03:26:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

if you think it’s weird that’s on you, but its pretty clearly a point about your stated position in this thread.

Or is that not obvious?

I’m said the term is obscure and hasn’t been used in popular culture in decades. Is this what you are debating? I did not say if I don’t know a word it doesn’t exist. That is not only inaccurate but just being insulting to me for no reason. Again knock it off. If you want to have an actual discussion about how common the word is used in popular culture or any data on how well known the term is, I am happy to discuss and or change my viewpoint. But the petty drive by insults are uncalled for an against forum rules.

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2023, 03:28:02 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

1.  I can accept that somebody can get the names of Mila Kunis and Mina Kimes mixed up. Mi_a K___s.; and

2.  If a man trying to make a joke up on the spot was going to name the "best nips", I'm not sure that he'd go through his entire mental catalog and pick somebody with well-known nipples.  He'd probably just pick the celebrity he thought was the hottest and hope for the best.  I mean, if somebody is answering this question in a sexist way, it's probably as reasonable to say "Anna Kendrick" (go Maine!) as Phoebe Cates.

Now, the debate:  did I subconsciously pick Phoebe Cates because she's of Chinese-Filipino descent on her mother's side (I just looked that up in Wiki), or because she was in an iconic topless scene that is allegedly the most paused moment in the history of VHS?

#1, I could buy that as a stand alone situation.

But #2, maybe it's just my perverted mind,  but to me, nips is just so specific.  You go to your crudest locker room, and you're talking about "top nips" I'm not thinking hottest celebrities, or best (clothed) bodies, or people I want to sleep with, I'm thinking about actual nipples.  That's why it seems like such a stretch to say Mila Kunis.  And it's not like he was put on the spot to name someone, he injected himself in the conversation to say that.  To interject yourself to say Mila Kunis would be a head scratcher to me, because she doesn't fit.

If he said Phoebe Cates (or said the girl from Fast Times), I wouldn't bat an eye, and would assume no racist intent.

There's 2 scenarios, one seems like way more of a stretch than the other to me.

Scenario 1: purposely named an Asian woman, when a homonym for an old, mostly forgotten racial slur that referred to Asians was brought up.  Then made up the first excuse he could think of to cover himself.

Scenario 2: mistakenly named an Asian woman, when making a joke about nipples, when the person he meant to name wouldn't fit the joke, when the key word to the joke is also an old, mostly forgotten slur for Asians.  Then told the truth to explain himself.

First one seems like less of a stretch to me, but maybe that's just from my personal experiences with nips and liars.

Always thought Sharon Stone was the most paused scene.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2023, 03:32:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

But #2, maybe it's just my perverted mind,  but to me, nips is just so specific.  You go to your crudest locker room, and you're talking about "top nips" I'm not thinking hottest celebrities, or best (clothed) bodies, or people I want to sleep with, I'm thinking about actual nipples.  That's why it seems like such a stretch to say Mila Kunis.  And it's not like he was put on the spot to name someone, he injected himself in the conversation to say that.  To interject yourself to say Mila Kunis would be a head scratcher to me, because she doesn't fit.

If he said Phoebe Cates (or said the girl from Fast Times), I wouldn't bat an eye, and would assume no racist intent.

Scenario 1: purposely named an Asian woman, when a homonym for an old, mostly forgotten racial slur that referred to Asians was brought up.  Then made up the first excuse he could think of to cover himself.

Scenario 2: mistakenly named an Asian woman, when making a joke about nipples, when the person he meant to name wouldn't fit the joke, when the key word to the joke is also an old, mostly forgotten slur for Asians.  Then told the truth to explain himself.

First one seems like less of a stretch to me, but maybe that's just from my personal experiences with nips and liars.

I still think scenario number 2 is much more likely but you have explained your viewpoint very well and credibly so Tommy point.

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2023, 03:33:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Mila Kunis does actually have some pretty famous nipples given the Forgetting Sarah Marshall movie. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip