Author Topic: Most Overrated Athlete?  (Read 14777 times)

Most Overrated Athlete?
« on: February 21, 2023, 12:33:50 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I watch a lot of YouTube and Mike Tyson is someone who gets views because of his image and ruthlessness. The casual young sports fan view Tyson as a GOAT candidate, but in reality he’s a tier below.

Just curious who others on the forum would view as some of the most overrated athletes in history?

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Most Overrated Athlete?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 12:45:58 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I watch a lot of YouTube and Mike Tyson is someone who gets views because of his image and ruthlessness. The casual young sports fan view Tyson as a GOAT candidate, but in reality he’s a tier below.

Just curious who others on the forum would view as some of the most overrated athletes in history?

Mostly QBs and ball dominant point guards who can’t defend. Joe Namath, Tony Romo, Troy Aikman, Trae Young, Ja Morant.

Not saying they aren’t good, but the QBs are overrated and in 4 years, when they aren’t young anymore, the basketball players may not be such hot commodities, though they are both all stars.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 02:33:45 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Football: Troy Aikman and John Elway
Baseball: Derek Jeter
Basketball: Scottie Pippen

Just my opinion.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 06:11:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
How is John Elway overrated?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 07:37:42 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think in general athletes in the NY and LA markets get over rated because of the size of the fan bases and the concentration of media in those cities.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 08:35:57 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Namath was definitely the first one that came to mind.

You can probably point to a handful of QBs that are overrated simply because of a Super Bowl ring (or rings) but Namath would definitely be at the top. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 09:08:44 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Yeah, I won't put Tyson here.  He disposed of Marvis Frazier in 30 seconds and Marvis was projected to be a rising star and future champion.  I suggest people go back and look at his early bouts, completely a beast.

As for overrated, three that immediately jump to the top of my list are Dale Jr, Tony Romo, Kurt Warner.  I'm sure I can come up with others but want some time to think about it.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 09:16:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Is Tony Romo rated highly enough to be considered overrated?  I don't think most people view him as even a HOF QB.  He was generally considered a good, sometimes great, QB, but I'm not sure he was ever even thought of as a top 5 QB in any given season. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 10:06:41 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Yeah, I won't put Tyson here.  He disposed of Marvis Frazier in 30 seconds and Marvis was projected to be a rising star and future champion.  I suggest people go back and look at his early bouts, completely a beast.

As for overrated, three that immediately jump to the top of my list are Dale Jr, Tony Romo, Kurt Warner.  I'm sure I can come up with others but want some time to think about it.

I agree about Tyson.  When he was young and focused he was destroying everyone.  Other top fighters were legitimately afraid of him.

I’ll go with Jeter for overrated. He was a great player, but he also got way too much credit. 

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 10:19:05 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Aaron Rodgers. I know he has that one ring from when he was younger, but he seems to choke in the postseason regularly. Many believe he’s the most talented QB of all time.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 11:28:09 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2023, 10:31:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Kurt Warner is a tough case.  He's sort of like Bill Walton in terms of his career.  Two MVPs, three SB appearances, and a bunch of shortened seasons.  There's always the question of "if this guy stayed healthy, what would he have done?"

I'm okay with him being recognized as a Hall of Famer. 

A guy I think that was overrated was Eli Manning.  He's got the two SB titles, which are big, but otherwise I think he was way too sloppy with the ball to be considered a great QB, particularly in light of a career .500 record.  He's actually got more INTs + fumbles than he does TD passes, and he only won a playoff game in two out of 16 seasons.  It's just that in those two seasons, he won eight playoff games.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 11:14:56 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Wilt Chamberlain. It's completely laughable that modern day lists of the greatest basketball players in history put him above Russell. The folks watching basketball in the 1960s certainly didn't see it that way. The problem is that, these days it's a very individualistic era, and there is too much emphasis on individual play and not on how a player helps his team succeed. Hence the obsession with Chamberlain.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2023, 11:22:16 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wilt Chamberlain. It's completely laughable that modern day lists of the greatest basketball players in history put him above Russell. The folks watching basketball in the 1960s certainly didn't see it that way. The problem is that, these days it's a very individualistic era, and there is too much emphasis on individual play and not on how a player helps his team succeed. Hence the obsession with Chamberlain.

Someone's getting triggered in 3....2...1...

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2023, 11:30:38 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Kurt Warner is a tough case.  He's sort of like Bill Walton in terms of his career.  Two MVPs, three SB appearances, and a bunch of shortened seasons.  There's always the question of "if this guy stayed healthy, what would he have done?"

I'm okay with him being recognized as a Hall of Famer. 

A guy I think that was overrated was Eli Manning.  He's got the two SB titles, which are big, but otherwise I think he was way too sloppy with the ball to be considered a great QB, particularly in light of a career .500 record.  He's actually got more INTs + fumbles than he does TD passes, and he only won a playoff game in two out of 16 seasons.  It's just that in those two seasons, he won eight playoff games.

Fully agree on Eli, just think wasn't Kurt really as great as people thought he was.  My answer is no.

I'm seeing a few say Jeter.  Again, I say, go watch the tape.  He played 20 years and aside from his first and the 2013 season, he averaged 150 games per season.  He was 14x all-star, 5x Champ, World Series MVP, Rookie of the year, 5x Gold Glove and Silver Slugger.  He was also the sixth overall pick in the 1992 draft, so overrated, maybe not so much.

"To appreciate Jeter's impact on a generation of players, look no further than Red Sox All-Star shortstop Xander Bogaerts, who grew up in Aruba idolizing the Yankees captain to the point that he has mimicked his patented "jump throw" from the grass in shallow left field. Jeter spent 20 seasons in the big leagues and never played for a losing team. That can't be a coincidence. -- Lauber"
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 07:22:04 AM by boscel33 »
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2023, 11:35:03 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I would argue, the obsession today are championships. With that basis in mind, do we overrate Bill Russell?

When it comes to making an all time top 5 list, I have the hardest time because I never saw guys like Russell or Chamberlain play.