Author Topic: Shams: Kyrie Traded to Mavs (Dinwiddie, DFS, #1)  (Read 28305 times)

Re: Shams: Kyrie Traded to Mavs
« Reply #255 on: February 05, 2023, 05:03:39 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Luka & Kyrie will not work..both want the ball
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #256 on: February 05, 2023, 05:11:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kyrie seems to be everything that Dallas didn’t need.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #257 on: February 05, 2023, 05:13:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
perhaps, maybe even probably, but irving did very well as the off ball guard with harden, over 27 points a game.

doncic and irving will score a TON of points and be impossible to stop. doncic can start a play, draw defenders and pass to irving, who is perhaps one of the greatest ball handlers in nba history.

their problem will not be scoring. it will be stopping other teams from scoring. doncic gave up on defense early on in his career and irving is medicore at best.

games against dallas will be high scoring affairs.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #258 on: February 05, 2023, 05:18:36 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

I love Luka mostly because I'm a Slav. But I'm unsure I'd like to be his teammate. He plays in a similar way triple double westbrook played. All the action is based off him so he either scores or passes to scorer. Does any place track hockey assists I'd be very interested to see where he ranks there. When I watch Dallas play I'm amazed at how insanely awesome Luka is offensively but from my perspective his style doesnt make anyone around him better. He dribbles the ball a lot.

No idea how him and Kyrie work as I don't see Luka as a my turn your turn kinda guy. They should lean in hard to what Luka is and just surround him with 3 and D guys.
ok fine

« Reply #259 on: February 05, 2023, 05:25:23 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Interesting side note to pay attention to, just before this trade, Tim MacMahon, whom is a journalist knowledgeable about the Mavericks, stated before this trade that Luka Doncic was close with Dorian Finney-Smith since his rookie season and loved playing with him because DFS was a hard working low usage guy.

It will be interesting how Doncic will react (privately) to this trade.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #260 on: February 05, 2023, 05:31:10 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I’m looking forward to Cuban and Kyrie butting heads.  It will be very entertaining.

« Reply #261 on: February 05, 2023, 05:31:48 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Interesting side note to pay attention to, just before this trade, Tim MacMahon, whom is a journalist knowledgeable about the Mavericks, stated before this trade that Luka Doncic was close with Dorian Finney-Smith since his rookie season and loved playing with him because DFS was a hard working low usage guy.

It will be interesting how Doncic will react (privately) to this trade.

You don’t think Cuban ran this by Doncic beforehand? They certainly can’t afford to risk upsetting Luka and I’d be shocked if he wasn’t in the loop.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #262 on: February 05, 2023, 05:34:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I’m looking forward to Cuban and Kyrie butting heads.  It will be very entertaining.

Cuban was very anti-Kyrie when it came to the anti-semitic posts/comments. So yeah that'll be fun  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #263 on: February 05, 2023, 05:44:23 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It’s a pretty simple equation. Do you think the Mavs have a better chance to win a championship now? As much as I don’t care for Kyrie, I think the answer it yes.

« Reply #264 on: February 05, 2023, 05:52:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Luka + Kyrie = LeBron + Kyrie 2.0

« Reply #265 on: February 05, 2023, 05:55:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Unfortunate Dallas had to give up Finney-Smith (DFS). I was hoping it would be Tim Hardaway instead of DFS. DFS has been great for Dallas at protecting Doncic on defense. He gave Dallas a long versatile athletic defender to compensate for Luka's lack of footspeed and more athletically limited defense.

Still, you gotta give something to get something.

« Reply #266 on: February 05, 2023, 05:58:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Feel like the Nets really screwed themselves with this. Their team was playing very well before KD went down and were only a few games behind the C’s. Brooklyn was looking like a legitimate contender. Durant was reportedly making good progress in his rehab as well and according to Woj, he wanted to play in the ASG.

They should have given Kyrie a 2-3 year extension and tried to win this year. If it didn’t work out, move him in the off-season. Instead they pull the ripcord on the season, got very little in return for Irving and now KD is almost certainly going to want out as their team is no longer a contender. The way they handled this doesn’t make much sense to me. Oh, well…Least we don’t have to worry about the Nets anymore.  :)

Agreed -- the Nets destroyed themselves. Bad management. They have mishandled Kyrie throughout his tenure there. Failed to get adequate coaching, mishandled the vaccine, mishandled the anti-semitism stuff. And now they have ruined their team.

Re: Shams: Kyrie Traded to Mavs (Dinwiddie, DFS, #1)
« Reply #267 on: February 05, 2023, 06:02:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
So Brooklyn's new lineup would be:

G: Spencer Dinwiddie, Patty Mills / Watanabe
G: Joe Harris, Seth Curry, Cam Thomas
F: Kevin Durant, Royce O'Neale
F: Ben Simmons, Dorian Finney-Smith
C: Nic Claxton

They could have some pretty cool lineups with Simmons, Durant or DFS at center. Their lineup does not look strong enough with Claxton on the floor though. Not enough offense.

Maybe they should try moving Seth Curry for a backup 5.

« Reply #268 on: February 05, 2023, 06:02:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
It’s a pretty simple equation. Do you think the Mavs have a better chance to win a championship now? As much as I don’t care for Kyrie, I think the answer it yes.

I read the comment and then noticed your username…  Good one!  :laugh:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Shams: Kyrie Traded to Mavs (Dinwiddie, DFS, #1)
« Reply #269 on: February 05, 2023, 06:06:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Dallas' new lineup would be:

G: Kyrie Irving, Frank Ntilinka
G: Tim Hardaway, Josh Green
F: Luka Doncic, Reggie Bullock
F: Christian Wood, Maxi Kleber, Bertans
C: Dwight Powell, JaVale McGee

I reckon Dallas goes big again with DFS gone. Keep two bigs on the floor to help reinforce the defense. Let the three perimeter guys shoulder the offense and Wood score off of them.

They need a better backup guard. I suppose Luka gives them that guard. Maybe another athletic defensive SG or bigger defensive forward instead of a backup PG.

They look pretty darn good. They could win the West.