Author Topic: Trade Idea: Cavs - Nets  (Read 1790 times)

Trade Idea: Cavs - Nets
« on: June 10, 2023, 06:42:28 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Cleveland: Mikal Bridges, 21st pick (via Suns), Nets (via Suns) 2025 1st round pick

Brooklyn: Donovan Mitchell

—————————

Cleveland Cavaliers

Garland
Bridges
Osman
Mobley
Allen

———

Brooklyn Nets

Mitchell
Harris
Finney-Smith
Johnson
Claxton

Dinwiddie, Thomas, Simmons, Watanabe, Sharpe, Mills

———

Both Donovan Mitchell & Mikal Bridges have 3 years left on their deals.

Mitchell being from New York would be a huge draw for the Nets. IMO Mitchell suits playing as a pseudo point guard than an off guard. This Nets team will be built around him, and with 50 + million coming off their books in 2024, they can soon look to improve their core to keep Mitchell happy.

Bridges’ will automatically improve the Cavs perimeter defence. Cavs guards were too small and struggled as a result, Bridges is a massive upgrade in size. Garland would now have more opportunities to create on offence. With the drop in salaries & free agents, Cavs could have 27 million in cap room to upgrade their roster.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Trade Idea: Cavs - Nets
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 04:38:12 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Who says no?
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 06:26:27 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Cavs say no
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 05:40:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Cavs would need a couple of more 1st's I think to even consider it.  Speaking of NY teams, there was a report the other day the Knicks were going to aggressively go after Mitchell believing the Cavs might move him. 

So with that in mind, what about this

Barrett, Toppin, 3 1st's

for

Mitchell
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 07:08:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Cleveland: Mikal Bridges, 21st pick (via Suns), Nets (via Suns) 2025 1st round pick

Brooklyn: Donovan Mitchell

If I were CLE, I would consider a swap of Mikal Bridges for Garland but not for Donovan Mitchell. I am yet to be convinced that Mikal Bridges can be a #1 or even a #2 on a title team. He still has a lot to prove. I'd much rather roll with Donovan Mitchell than Mikal Bridges.

I would consider Mikal Bridges for Garland though and switch Donovan Mitchell back to PG.

G: Donovan Mitchell
G: Mikal Bridges
F: (free agent)
F: Evan Mobley
C: Jarrett Allen

That is an interesting team. Much more difficult to exploit defensively. More robust. Removes the reliance on two small guards.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2023, 08:25:19 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Cavs would need a couple of more 1st's I think to even consider it.  Speaking of NY teams, there was a report the other day the Knicks were going to aggressively go after Mitchell believing the Cavs might move him. 

Barrett, Toppin, 3 1st's

for

Mitchell

Not sure Toppin fits. However, that was what was supposedly on the table for Utah.

That certainly makes the Knicks better, but what of the Cavs? Are they better there?

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2023, 08:27:48 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Barrett, Toppin, 3 1st's

for

Mitchell

Not sure Toppin fits. However, that was what was supposedly on the table for Utah.

That certainly makes the Knicks better, but what of the Cavs? Are they better there?
I think they fit a bit better with the much larger Barrett.  It gives them a bit more long term security as well.  Probably not better, but the draft picks they could use for another wing. 

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2023, 08:37:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

Barrett, Toppin, 3 1st's

for

Mitchell

Mitchell just made 2nd team all NBA. Why would the Cavs move on from their best player 1 year after trading for him?. He is a top 15 player in the league. Barrett regressed this year and Toppin is a role player. I could understand maybe wanting to move Garland that way you don’t have two small guards, but Donovan is a stud.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 08:50:30 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2023, 08:40:07 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Barrett, Toppin, 3 1st's

for

Mitchell

I think they fit a bit better with the much larger Barrett.  It gives them a bit more long term security as well.  Probably not better, but the draft picks they could use for another wing.

I get your point. For a couple years in a row, Garland has had serious struggles in the playoffs. I just don't think he can be your lead scorer/shot-creator if you are trying to become a contender. I don't think Mobley or Barrett is a guy like that either (the Knicks desperately needed Barrett this playoffs and he struggled). Adding in a wing for a few first round picks isn't going to give you that kind of player either. They would top out as a solid team, but not really a contender.

That moves seems like a step back that never really gets you closer, even in the future.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2023, 09:59:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Barrett, Toppin, 3 1st's

for

Mitchell

Mitchell just made 2nd team all NBA. Why would the Cavs move on from their best player 1 year after trading for him?. He is a top 15 player in the league. Barrett regressed this year and Toppin is a role player. I could understand maybe wanting to move Garland that way you don’t have two small guards, but Donovan is a stud.
Well I don't think he is a top 15 player and it clear he and Garland don't work all that well as they both small score first type players.  Garland is younger, signed longer, and the advanced metrics say he is more important to their team than Mitchell is.  Mitchell is a bit better and probably has more trade value.  I don't think the Cavs will trade either, but I do think they should consider trading Mitchell.  Frankly, they would have been better off not trading for him and keeping Markkanen, Sexton, Agbaji, the three 1st's and two swaps.  I don't think they would have been worse than losing in the 1st round in 5 games.  So you cut your losses on Mitchell while his value is the highest.  Now whether or not Barrett, Toppin, and a few 1st's is the best deal for them who knows, but it is a deal I think would be on the table and it is a place Mitchell would go.  Maybe the Cavs hold out for Quickley or another 1st or two (I believe NY has some extra ones).