Author Topic: Celtics Trade Deadline  (Read 25772 times)

Re: Celtics Trade Deadline
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2023, 08:24:06 AM »

Offline G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 97
I'll propose a deal:

BOS trades:  Gallinari, Pritchard, Jackson, better of HOU / POR #2
ORL trades:  Bamba

It is basically salary neutral for this year.

I would be down for this.

« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2023, 08:26:50 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'll propose a deal:

I like!  The Houston pick could be #32 which is essentially a 1st.

We don't have a first this year, so we can't give up a first in the 2024 draft, therefore, Brad is going to have to get creative.  I like this, definitely provides big depth but we'll ahve to make sure to scour the buyouts for wing depth.  I think with JB and JT nursing injuries, that's going to get important down the road deep into the playoffs.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2023, 08:57:41 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I'll propose a deal:

We don't have a first this year, so we can't give up a first in the 2024 draft, therefore, Brad is going to have to get creative.  I like this, definitely provides big depth but we'll ahve to make sure to scour the buyouts for wing depth.  I think with JB and JT nursing injuries, that's going to get important down the road deep into the playoffs.

The Houston pick only comes to us at 33 or worse, otherwise it’s Dallas or Miami.  But the Portland pick is aiming to be late 30s on its own.

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2023, 09:40:25 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I'll propose a deal:

The Houston pick only comes to us at 33 or worse, otherwise it’s Dallas or Miami.  But the Portland pick is aiming to be late 30s on its own.
I think PP has late first round (high level role/bench player on any team without the Cs depth at guard).  I think Bamba is a less valuable asset than Hachimura so the idea of trading a 1st plus a high 2nd seems to be an over pay. Gallinari plus Jackson worked for salary purposes in the trade machine I tried, but I have no idea if their algorithm is correct.

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2023, 09:50:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I'll propose a deal:

I think PP has late first round (high level role/bench player on any team without the Cs depth at guard).  I think Bamba is a less valuable asset than Hachimura so the idea of trading a 1st plus a high 2nd seems to be an over pay. Gallinari plus Jackson worked for salary purposes in the trade machine I tried, but I have no idea if their algorithm is correct.
frankly given the contract, Gallinari might be more valuable than Bamba if he can come back this year.  Given the health, I'd probably do Bamba for Gallinari and Jackson, but no draft picks or other players.  I also might do Bamba, Hampton for Gallinari, Pritchard, and Jackson, but I think Pritchard makes more sense as a shooter off the bench than whatever Hampton's role might be.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2023, 09:54:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'll propose a deal:

frankly given the contract, Gallinari might be more valuable than Bamba if he can come back this year.  Given the health, I'd probably do Bamba for Gallinari and Jackson, but no draft picks or other players.  I also might do Bamba, Hampton for Gallinari, Pritchard, and Jackson, but I think Pritchard makes more sense as a shooter off the bench than whatever Hampton's role might be.

What's wrong with Bamba's contract?  $10 million for a low-end starting-caliber center / good backup seems fair, and his deal is non-guaranteed next season.  And let's be real:  Gallo isn't coming back this year, and if he does, he's likely going to be slow, rusty and timid.

A floor-spacing defensive center is exactly what this team needs.  While I'd love to keep Pritchard -- both because he's solid depth and because he's got a tradeable contract next year -- having somebody who can spell both Timelord and Horford is important.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2023, 09:55:44 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
I would like to make a trade that doesn't involve us giving up Gallinari or Pritchard

With Gallinari I also think the optics look kind of bad, trading him after he signed with us and suffered an ACL injury. It does sound like he's trying to come back as well maybe by May
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2023, 10:02:16 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I would like to make a trade that doesn't involve us giving up Gallinari or Pritchard

With Gallinari I also think the optics look kind of bad, trading him after he signed with us and suffered an ACL injury. It does sound like he's trying to come back as well maybe by May

Gallo is certainly trying to come back, but even if he miraculously is physically able to return to NBA game action by the middle of the playoffs, he’s not going to have the reps to fit into an NBA playoff rotation.  Let’s be realistic.

As for optics, he signed a 1+1 deal and was hurt playing for his national team.  The Celtics, and every other team, have made many worse trades from an optics standard.

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2023, 10:05:20 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That greatly impacts the quality of player we can get, I think.  If we're confined to just the $6 million TPE or the DPE, there's a supply and demand issue.  Basically, players who are good and very cheap are going to cost a lot in terms of draft picks.

I agree with C2021 on optics.  Wyc just said that Brad's "instructions" are to approach the deadline like this is a win now year, without worrying about the future.  If that's the case, then Gallo's feelings just aren't a consideration.  He's being paid $6.5 million without having played a game for us, and he'll be getting a pay bump next year, too.

If the Raptors dealt Otto Porter in an attempt to bring back a useful player, would you think less of them?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2023, 10:07:01 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

That greatly impacts the quality of player we can get, I think.  If we're confined to just the $6 million TPE or the DPE, there's a supply and demand issue.  Basically, players who are good and very cheap are going to cost a lot in terms of draft picks.

I'd give up a 1st + Jackson or Davison for Naz Reid

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2023, 10:09:52 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

See, I think an unprotected first rounder in 2025 or later is worth more than Pritchard to most teams.

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2023, 10:20:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I'll propose a deal:

What's wrong with Bamba's contract?  $10 million for a low-end starting-caliber center / good backup seems fair, and his deal is non-guaranteed next season.  And let's be real:  Gallo isn't coming back this year, and if he does, he's likely going to be slow, rusty and timid.

A floor-spacing defensive center is exactly what this team needs.  While I'd love to keep Pritchard -- both because he's solid depth and because he's got a tradeable contract next year -- having somebody who can spell both Timelord and Horford is important.
There is nothing wrong with Bamba's contract other than it is 3.5 million more than Gallinari's this year.  So he costs more.  Gallinari is better than Bamba at almost everything.  I get he is hurt, which is why I'd make the move, but no way I'd add Pritchard to it.  Way too much to give up for a guy that might not even play ahead of Kornet.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2023, 10:26:41 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

See, I think an unprotected first rounder in 2025 or later is worth more than Pritchard to most teams.

I'd be fine doing that. And believe me, I'm considered a "prospect hoarder" on baseball forums/blogs and someone who is against "win now" moves which could impact the future.

BUT this team really is in an "all-win" window and I don't mind giving up a future 1st (which is likely pick #25-30 anyways) to add an impact player even off the bench

I also think Pritchard still has value as like the 8th or 9th guy on the team

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2023, 10:28:39 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I'll propose a deal:

There is nothing wrong with Bamba's contract other than it is 3.5 million more than Gallinari's this year.  So he costs more.  Gallinari is better than Bamba at almost everything.  I get he is hurt, which is why I'd make the move, but no way I'd add Pritchard to it.  Way too much to give up for a guy that might not even play ahead of Kornet.

Bamba is significantly better than both Gallo (who literally adds zero) and Kornet.  And, I'd always trade a 4th PG for a backup center.

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2023, 11:37:03 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'll propose a deal:

Bamba is significantly better than both Gallo (who literally adds zero) and Kornet.  And, I'd always trade a 4th PG for a backup center.

Orlando doesn't even view Bamba as a backup.  he hasn't played in 3 of the last 4 games.  He's buried and is pretty much a dump at this point.  If the team waives him by June 29th, which I suspect they would, he has no guarantees and can be waived.  If he's kept on the roster past that date he carries a 10m salary for next year which could be a good salary to have for potential moves.  Now he provides help for Rob and Al but won't play much.  I would say wing SF/PF would be more valuable to take minutes off of JT.