Author Topic: Celtics Trade Deadline  (Read 25978 times)

Re: Celtics Trade Deadline
« Reply #180 on: February 05, 2023, 02:47:16 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3181
The Boston Celtics are expected to "scan the league for another big man" ahead of the Feb. 9 trade deadline, according to Jay King of The Athletic.

King listed Mason Plumlee, Jae'Sean Tate, P.J. Washington, Kelly Olynyk and Chris Boucher as potential options to shore up the frontcourt.

Shams Charania of The Athletic previously reported the Celtics were among the teams that have showed "significant trade interest" in San Antonio Spurs center Jakob Poeltl.
Plumlee would be such a dream. I've wanted him for years. He is a terrific passer, good rebounder and solid defensively. Sure, he's an expiring, but I'm very high on his fit

I've mentioned him on this board several times and posters moan that he's not a good free throw shooter.

I think he'd be a great addition to the front court.  Would be able to fill in for Timelord so that those two could man the 48 minutes at center.

Al would be solely a PF unless we needed to go small for strategic purposes against teams like Miami.  Then Al would let us play a five out with five shooters on the floor.

Plumlee would also be a great added defender against the Bucks' and Sixers' big men.  Another six fouls from a competent defender.

I ll go along with the Plumlee choice .  Not afraid to knock heads inside with the biggest dudes .

Plumlee fit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Olynyk.

Olynyk is better for the playoffs. Plumlee's terrible FT shooting rules him out...

« Reply #181 on: February 05, 2023, 02:48:59 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2969
  • On To Banner 18!
Noel would be interesting but he's making 9.5M this season. So you'd definitely have to give up 2, possibly 3 players on our end to make it work. I'd consider doing that for the right guy but not Noel. I think there are better options out there.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #182 on: February 05, 2023, 03:17:04 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 987
Noel would be interesting but he's making 9.5M this season. So you'd definitely have to give up 2, possibly 3 players on our end to make it work. I'd consider doing that for the right guy but not Noel. I think there are better options out there.

Those two players could be Gallo and Justin Jackson, as far as salary goes, so that wouldn’t actually hurt this year’s team.

« Reply #183 on: February 05, 2023, 03:29:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The Boston Celtics are expected to "scan the league for another big man" ahead of the Feb. 9 trade deadline, according to Jay King of The Athletic.

King listed Mason Plumlee, Jae'Sean Tate, P.J. Washington, Kelly Olynyk and Chris Boucher as potential options to shore up the frontcourt.

Shams Charania of The Athletic previously reported the Celtics were among the teams that have showed "significant trade interest" in San Antonio Spurs center Jakob Poeltl.
Plumlee would be such a dream. I've wanted him for years. He is a terrific passer, good rebounder and solid defensively. Sure, he's an expiring, but I'm very high on his fit

I've mentioned him on this board several times and posters moan that he's not a good free throw shooter.

I think he'd be a great addition to the front court.  Would be able to fill in for Timelord so that those two could man the 48 minutes at center.

Al would be solely a PF unless we needed to go small for strategic purposes against teams like Miami.  Then Al would let us play a five out with five shooters on the floor.

Plumlee would also be a great added defender against the Bucks' and Sixers' big men.  Another six fouls from a competent defender.

I ll go along with the Plumlee choice .  Not afraid to knock heads inside with the biggest dudes .

Olynyk is better for the playoffs. Plumlee's terrible FT shooting rules him out...
If a team wants to waste fouls on a backup big in a playoff series, let them.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #184 on: February 05, 2023, 03:42:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Those two players could be Gallo and Justin Jackson, as far as salary goes, so that wouldn’t actually hurt this year’s team.

I’m unrealistically hoping that Gallo can make it back in time for the playoffs. So don’t want to trade him.

Would love Naz Reid but fear his recent play has rendered his trade value too high.

« Reply #185 on: February 05, 2023, 04:27:06 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
The Phoenix game the other night was a great example of why their biggest need is cover at the 3. Othewise Joe's option vs good teams is play 3 guards when either of the Jays goes out - or play them the entire 2nd half.  You can only get away with that for so long.

« Reply #186 on: February 05, 2023, 07:05:31 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1240
The Phoenix game the other night was a great example of why their biggest need is cover at the 3. Othewise Joe's option vs good teams is play 3 guards when either of the Jays goes out - or play them the entire 2nd half.  You can only get away with that for so long.

The extended absence of Marcus has really magnified this problem. White or Brogdon could shoulder some of the mins while JT and JB rest.

« Reply #187 on: February 05, 2023, 08:01:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The extended absence of Marcus has really magnified this problem. White or Brogdon could shoulder some of the mins while JT and JB rest.
Our offence has massively stuttered without Smart. His playmaking is crucial to our hopes
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #188 on: February 05, 2023, 08:24:59 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3181

If a team wants to waste fouls on a backup big in a playoff series, let them.

With Kelly you add another 40% 3 point shooter and a very good passer. You can put Al and Kelly to spread the floor or Grant and Kelly. You can't have too much shooting.

« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2023, 08:27:20 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2969
  • On To Banner 18!
I feel like 1 of PJ Washington or Jalen McDaniels (both from Hornets) is a real option, especially if Naz Reid is expensive and/or the Wolves decide not to deal him.

Olynyk and a few others are also options, but I think considering the TPE as well, Washington/McDaniels could make more sense.

TJ Warren is someone I'd GLADLY give up a future 2nd round pick to acquire and absorb with the TPE

Would give us that backup wing and a guy who can score off the bench
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #190 on: February 05, 2023, 10:19:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1445
Teams have made calls for Grant Williams?

At the top of the conference, the Celtics are looking for upgrades at center and wing. It’s been widely reported they have had interest in Poeltl. NBA executives say teams have made calls to Boston about Grant Williams, who has underwhelmed on defense ahead of entering restricted free agency this summer. – via Kevin O'Connor @ The Ringer
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #191 on: February 05, 2023, 10:41:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

At the top of the conference, the Celtics are looking for upgrades at center and wing. It’s been widely reported they have had interest in Poeltl. NBA executives say teams have made calls to Boston about Grant Williams, who has underwhelmed on defense ahead of entering restricted free agency this summer. – via Kevin O'Connor @ The Ringer

I'd find that a bit surprising and a bit more surprising if the C's actually traded him.

admittedly, he's not having as good as year as hoped for, certainly offensively, but I'd be curious what other teams are offering us that would tempt us to impact team chemistry

« Reply #192 on: February 05, 2023, 10:50:19 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

Wonder what the other side's offering. An insurance solid big is nice. A backup wing would also do wonders for JT.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #193 on: February 05, 2023, 10:58:37 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
No trading Grant. At least he can sorta guard Giannis with his bulk...We got some useless guys on the bench right now, Grant is not one of them.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #194 on: February 05, 2023, 10:59:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2709

Wonder what the other side's offering. An insurance solid big is nice. A backup wing would also do wonders for JT.

I can't see the Heat offering enough of a return to make the Celtics actually consider moving Grant Williams. Dedmond and Struss would be nice to add, but losing Grant and his versatility at that position would hurt us too much as we head towards the postseason.