Author Topic: Celtics Trade Deadline  (Read 25684 times)

Re: Celtics Trade Deadline
« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2023, 09:55:18 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I saw that Anunoby didn't play last night and that he is reported out "for the road trip" due to something with his wrist.  Interesting timing.  Not sure if them playing it safe because they are close to a deal or if this will attach a warning flag to him and maybe lower his value a little.

The other thing I am finding interesting is that the GSW seem to have James Wiseman on the market.  I am not sure what happened to him.  What little I have seen of him, he looked really promising to me.  Had the body, the athleticism, seemed to have decent court awareness and anticipation/reaction, plus had some mid-range touch.  He is still only 21 (22 in March).  What happened?

I think part of the issue for GSW is that he will be at about $12M (plus tax) next season.  I don't know exactly how the tax works but I am guessing it is very sizable premium on top of the salary.  I have to think this is about money for them.  Gallinari and Jackson would work.  Saves a little for them this season and half the salary for next season.  Gallinari might be a nice piece for their bench.  And he could probably be "flipped" if they want to cut salary even more for next season.

I wonder if the two finalist from the prior season have ever done a trade the following season.

I don’t know about Wiseman’s potential as he’s barely played, but Kabengele kicked his butt when I watched them play this past summer league.  That was more of knock on Wiseman than a positive for Kabengele.

Wiseman had a meniscus tear in April 2021 and didn't get back on to the court until that summer league in 2022.  Actually, I think he did play some G-League games at the end of the 2021-22 season.  But the point is that he had major surgery and really has never gotten back.  I am not sure how representative his play in the 2022 summer league is.  It could be that that is it.  That there is damage and he isn't going to get any better.  It could also be that that was a post injury, not quite fully back version of him.

I don't know what GSW are looking for in return but to me, he is an intriguing player to take a chance on.  I get that maybe the Celtics aren't the team to be taking a chance on an injured young player right now, but I also am not sure it is time to write off Wiseman.

« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2023, 01:09:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Officially 1 week away
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2023, 01:18:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Quote from: Steve Bulpett, Heavy.com
A source close to the Heat tells Heavy Sports the club is interested in a reunion with Kelly Olynyk — and that Miami isn’t his only suitor. The Celtics are also said to be looking at the possibility of re-acquiring the 6-11 floor-spacing big man, who spent his first four NBA seasons in Boston.

According to a league executive with knowledge of the situation, the Celts are still trying to learn what it would take to get Olynyk from the Jazz, but an Eastern Conference source whose club has been working the market for a center/power forward doesn’t believe the Heat or Celtics will be able to meet what Utah wants for Olynyk, averaging 11.9 points on 49.5 percent shooting (40.6 pct. on 3-pointers).

The Jazz are currently loaded with extra first-round picks after trading Rudy Gobert to Minnesota and Donovan Mitchell to Cleveland last offseason, and Boston isn’t looking to part with anyone from a main rotation that owns the best record in the league.

“Olynyk is a guy they have interest in, but I doubt if that will happen,” the latter source told Heavy. “Both teams that have had Olynyk have interest in getting him back, but I don’t think that that’ll happen, just like I don’t think (a move for San Antonio’s Jakob) Poeltl will happen, either.

“I don’t think Boston really has anything to trade that they’d actually want to give up — or what they’d need to give up for Olynyk — and I don’t think Poeltl fits there. They can’t trade this year’s (first round) pick. They can trade a down-the-road first, but I don’t see that right now. I’m not sure Utah or San Antonio has much real interest in Pritchard, and forget about Grant (Williams), because the purpose of getting another big is to get someone after Grant. He’s their third big right now, and they’re looking for a fourth or fifth big, not necessarily a third big. They at least need a fourth one. (Luke) Kornet’s helped them when guys have been out, but I think they want to have more options in the playoffs.

“Boston and Miami want to get another big player that’s better than what they have — not necessarily better than (Celtics Rob) Williams and (Al) Horford and Grant and (Heat center Bam) Adebayo, but better than all of the rest of the guys after them.”

Sounds like educated guessing more than any actual inside knowledge.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2023, 01:49:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
If Barton is bought out I'd love to get him. He might be one of the best buyout guys we could realistically acquire

That, and trading for a depth big like Naz Reid or PJ Washington would be my ideal deadline.

« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2023, 05:05:20 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82
The Boston Celtics are expected to "scan the league for another big man" ahead of the Feb. 9 trade deadline, according to Jay King of The Athletic.

King listed Mason Plumlee, Jae'Sean Tate, P.J. Washington, Kelly Olynyk and Chris Boucher as potential options to shore up the frontcourt.

Shams Charania of The Athletic previously reported the Celtics were among the teams that have showed "significant trade interest" in San Antonio Spurs center Jakob Poeltl.
Plumlee would be such a dream. I've wanted him for years. He is a terrific passer, good rebounder and solid defensively. Sure, he's an expiring, but I'm very high on his fit

I've mentioned him on this board several times and posters moan that he's not a good free throw shooter.

I think he'd be a great addition to the front court.  Would be able to fill in for Timelord so that those two could man the 48 minutes at center.

Al would be solely a PF unless we needed to go small for strategic purposes against teams like Miami.  Then Al would let us play a five out with five shooters on the floor.

Plumlee would also be a great added defender against the Bucks' and Sixers' big men.  Another six fouls from a competent defender.

« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2023, 10:32:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
The Boston Celtics are expected to "scan the league for another big man" ahead of the Feb. 9 trade deadline, according to Jay King of The Athletic.

King listed Mason Plumlee, Jae'Sean Tate, P.J. Washington, Kelly Olynyk and Chris Boucher as potential options to shore up the frontcourt.

Shams Charania of The Athletic previously reported the Celtics were among the teams that have showed "significant trade interest" in San Antonio Spurs center Jakob Poeltl.
Plumlee would be such a dream. I've wanted him for years. He is a terrific passer, good rebounder and solid defensively. Sure, he's an expiring, but I'm very high on his fit

I've mentioned him on this board several times and posters moan that he's not a good free throw shooter.

I think he'd be a great addition to the front court.  Would be able to fill in for Timelord so that those two could man the 48 minutes at center.

Al would be solely a PF unless we needed to go small for strategic purposes against teams like Miami.  Then Al would let us play a five out with five shooters on the floor.

Plumlee would also be a great added defender against the Bucks' and Sixers' big men.  Another six fouls from a competent defender.

I ll go along with the Plumlee choice .  Not afraid to knock heads inside with the biggest dudes .

« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2023, 10:59:14 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

I ll go along with the Plumlee choice .  Not afraid to knock heads inside with the biggest dudes .

Plumlee fit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Olynyk.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #172 on: February 03, 2023, 10:30:05 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Have to say, I'm loving all the trade deadline discussion here, but I'll admit at this point it'll be a true bummer if they stand pat. Like I'm not at all saying overpay for a guy like OG or Poeltl, but they should still add at least one guy, maybe two (backup wing + depth big) through trade and/or buyout market. Doing nothing would be ridiculous given we're in a contention window

« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2023, 10:34:09 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Have to say, I'm loving all the trade deadline discussion here, but I'll admit at this point it'll be a true bummer if they stand pat. Like I'm not at all saying overpay for a guy like OG or Poeltl, but they should still add at least one guy, maybe two (backup wing + depth big) through trade and/or buyout market. Doing nothing would be ridiculous given we're in a contention window

I think you should get ready for disappointment.  I think it's going to be an incredibly quiet deadline for the league, and the Celtics ability to make a move will be limited by the frozen market.

« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2023, 11:02:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think you should get ready for disappointment.  I think it's going to be an incredibly quiet deadline for the league, and the Celtics ability to make a move will be limited by the frozen market.

You guys are overlooking the excitement of a potential Justin Jackson salary dump.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2023, 11:03:28 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

You guys are overlooking the excitement of a potential Justin Jackson salary dump.

Oh, I'm ready for the Justin Jackson-Tony Snell swap.  Banner 18 guaranteed!

« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2023, 11:17:36 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Fireworks  :laugh:

« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2023, 01:17:26 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Multiple teams have reached out to the Detroit Pistons regarding veteran center Nerlens Noel, according to The Athletic's James Edwards III.

Edwards reported the Miami Heat, Denver Nuggets, Dallas Mavericks, Sacramento Kings, Philadelphia 76ers and Boston Celtics have all made calls to the Pistons ahead of Thursday's NBA trade deadline.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #178 on: February 05, 2023, 02:10:59 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Multiple teams have reached out to the Detroit Pistons regarding veteran center Nerlens Noel, according to The Athletic's James Edwards III.

Edwards reported the Miami Heat, Denver Nuggets, Dallas Mavericks, Sacramento Kings, Philadelphia 76ers and Boston Celtics have all made calls to the Pistons ahead of Thursday's NBA trade deadline.

I always wondered why we didn't make a bigger push for him over the summer.

Mike

« Reply #179 on: February 05, 2023, 02:16:52 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I always wondered why we didn't make a bigger push for him over the summer.

Mike

My guess is we made a small push, but when he was dumped by the Knicks we still had Theis, so there was no need, and the Pistons felt he’d have more value at the deadline than in the summer, which will probably turn out to be true.