Author Topic: Rumor: Josh Richardson Available  (Read 4359 times)

Re: Rumor: Josh Richardson Available
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2023, 03:03:56 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
Seems to me that you are assuming an asset coming in. Maybe ur right, I can't remember. Can you show a report that those players would bring in an asset? Or can you reference actual similar trades that brought in an asset that we had a chance at?

Detroit actually was paid an asset to take on Burks and Noel (and in a separate deal, Kemba Walker).  It was a complicated deal, but Detroit ended up with a 1st rounder (13th overall) and two second rounders for taking on that salary.

We couldn't have acquired all three players, but we could have taken on Burks and been paid a second rounder or more for it.  Same thing if we wanted Evan Fournier, etc.  Renting out cap space / TPE space for draft picks has been a popular means of asset accumulation in the past.

The Celtics have done this sort of thing in the past.  If I'm remembering correctly, we picked up the #1 that we eventually used to acquire IT by taking on salary from Cleveland.  Same thing in the Chucky Atkins trade; we used it to get the #1 used on Tony Allen, I think. 

So, yeah.  Ideal scenario, we have Burks and a Knicks asset right now, for nothing other than money.

It was separate deals but Burks was dealt with Noel and Kemba.  There is no way to know what it would have taken to get just Burks.  And no way to know if DET would have still taken Noel and Kemba if they didn't get Burks too.

It retrospect, Burks would have been a good get, even if it cost us a second.  But I will say that I was not all that interested in Burks at the time.

Here was my reaction:

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 2 hours ago

New: The #Celtics turned down an Alec Burks deal into their TPE from the Knicks before his trade to the Pistons per league sources. A closer look at why and what comes next for Boston with free agency looming: masslive.com/celtics/2022/0…

That's all fine, so long as we eventually get somebody as good or better than Burks, Noel, Fournier, etc.

Just Before or After we traded for Brogdon? Its pretty close in timing....makes more sense of why BS mighta been gun shy.

Also, without taking on Noel too maybe we don't get the assert or even have to give one. But, in general, the salary slot would be good to have.

It was a really great offseason, Brogdon and Gallo (unlucky he got hurt) for upgrades with low risk, no losses in personel. I can see why a GM would stand pat and not make a lil riskier move.

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2023, 08:03:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Seems to me that you are assuming an asset coming in. Maybe ur right, I can't remember. Can you show a report that those players would bring in an asset? Or can you reference actual similar trades that brought in an asset that we had a chance at?

Detroit actually was paid an asset to take on Burks and Noel (and in a separate deal, Kemba Walker).  It was a complicated deal, but Detroit ended up with a 1st rounder (13th overall) and two second rounders for taking on that salary.

We couldn't have acquired all three players, but we could have taken on Burks and been paid a second rounder or more for it.  Same thing if we wanted Evan Fournier, etc.  Renting out cap space / TPE space for draft picks has been a popular means of asset accumulation in the past.

The Celtics have done this sort of thing in the past.  If I'm remembering correctly, we picked up the #1 that we eventually used to acquire IT by taking on salary from Cleveland.  Same thing in the Chucky Atkins trade; we used it to get the #1 used on Tony Allen, I think. 

So, yeah.  Ideal scenario, we have Burks and a Knicks asset right now, for nothing other than money.

It was separate deals but Burks was dealt with Noel and Kemba.  There is no way to know what it would have taken to get just Burks.  And no way to know if DET would have still taken Noel and Kemba if they didn't get Burks too.

It retrospect, Burks would have been a good get, even if it cost us a second.  But I will say that I was not all that interested in Burks at the time.

Here was my reaction:

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 2 hours ago

New: The #Celtics turned down an Alec Burks deal into their TPE from the Knicks before his trade to the Pistons per league sources. A closer look at why and what comes next for Boston with free agency looming: masslive.com/celtics/2022/0…

That's all fine, so long as we eventually get somebody as good or better than Burks, Noel, Fournier, etc.

Just Before or After we traded for Brogdon? Its pretty close in timing....makes more sense of why BS mighta been gun shy.

Also, without taking on Noel too maybe we don't get the assert or even have to give one. But, in general, the salary slot would be good to have.

It was a really great offseason, Brogdon and Gallo (unlucky he got hurt) for upgrades with low risk, no losses in personel. I can see why a GM would stand pat and not make a lil riskier move.
acquiring a quality player for literally nothing other than salary is not a risky move
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 11:16:26 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2023, 09:29:23 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618

Here was my reaction:

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 2 hours ago

acquiring a quality player for literally nothing other than salary is not a risky move

Acquiring a 5th guard for 10mil per the next 2 years, that may cost you a draft pick to get rid of in the hopes that you can flip him for something more useful is a little riskier than signing a former allstar big man shooter to the MLE and picking up a former rookie of the year who is starter quality to be your sixth man for spare parts.

I never suggested it was high risk, simply that there is more hopes and dreams involved than the other moves made last summer.