Author Topic: Renewed / regurgitated Poeltl rumor  (Read 6960 times)

Re: Renewed / regurgitated Poeltl rumor
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2023, 09:01:19 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
The problems with Poeltl are: if you play him with Rob you will gunk up our spacing and he shoots 60% from the line. I’d love to find Al’s longterm replacement, but that’s hard to do because he’s got a rare skill set. Sometimes I try talking myself into taking a chance on Jarred Vanderbilt - he’d be a great fit if he becomes a solid 3-point shooter. He might - he’s gone from a non-shooter to 33% this year on low volume. But who knows; it’s a gamble. If you had a switchy, legit 3-point shooting PF, it’s a lot easier to find a center who can play alongside - ideally Rob, but could be someone else. Of course, for similar reasons Utah might not be willing to part with him for a price we would pay - I’d give them PP and a first, and if we were really high on his ability as a shooter I’d consider more.

Then, too, if they give up a lot for poeltl they probably want to be able to resign him, which won’t be cheap. They’d have a *lot* of money tied up in the center position.

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2023, 09:39:51 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Spurs think they can re-sign Jakob Poeltl
Tim MacMahon on the Spurs: The other thing you might hear from the Spurs is, ‘Hey, we feel decent about our chance to to re-sign him’. And then if it’s not us, resigning him a sign-and-trade would certainly be a possibility.

Being able to and wanting to are different things.  They can offer more than anyone else I suspect, if they want to.  This sounds like posturing.

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2023, 09:44:31 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Spurs think they can re-sign Jakob Poeltl
Tim MacMahon on the Spurs: The other thing you might hear from the Spurs is, ‘Hey, we feel decent about our chance to to re-sign him’. And then if it’s not us, resigning him a sign-and-trade would certainly be a possibility.

Being able to and wanting to are different things.  They can offer more than anyone else I suspect, if they want to.  This sounds like posturing.

He already turned down an extension, and it wasn't like they offered him the most they could have, so yes, this is obvious posturing.

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2023, 07:00:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As we hear more rumbles around the league about what teams might be up to, some intel on the trade situation of San Antonio Spurs big man Jakob Poeltl is making the rounds in a recent article by Spurs Talk’s LJ Ellis. The Celtics, who have been tied to Poeltl by several reports, most recently the Athletic’s Shams Charania, are reportedly including “a completely unprotected 2028 first round pick.”

Currently, Boston has obligations to send that draft pick to the Spurs in a swap from the Derrick White deal should San Antonio ask for it, unless it’s the No. 1 overall pick. “In this proposed Poeltl deal, the Spurs would get the 2028 first round pick outright and the first overall pick protection would be dropped,” suggests Lidell.

This would signal significant interest from Boston given they’d likely match reports suggesting the Spurs would prefer two firsts for Poeltl given they have interest in trying to re-sign the Austrian center.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2023, 07:11:54 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
As we hear more rumbles around the league about what teams might be up to, some intel on the trade situation of San Antonio Spurs big man Jakob Poeltl is making the rounds in a recent article by Spurs Talk’s LJ Ellis. The Celtics, who have been tied to Poeltl by several reports, most recently the Athletic’s Shams Charania, are reportedly including “a completely unprotected 2028 first round pick.”

Currently, Boston has obligations to send that draft pick to the Spurs in a swap from the Derrick White deal should San Antonio ask for it, unless it’s the No. 1 overall pick. “In this proposed Poeltl deal, the Spurs would get the 2028 first round pick outright and the first overall pick protection would be dropped,” suggests Lidell.

This would signal significant interest from Boston given they’d likely match reports suggesting the Spurs would prefer two firsts for Poeltl given they have interest in trying to re-sign the Austrian center.

I doubt it. It’s from a Spurs beat reporter and I think the deal would already be done if an unprotected 1st was on the table.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2023, 07:15:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I doubt it. It’s from a Spurs beat reporter and I think the deal would already be done if an unprotected 1st was on the table.

At the same time, if an already encumbered #1 was all San Antonio wanted, I’m guessing the deal would be done, as well.  But I do agree the Spurs reporter is spitballing here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2023, 07:23:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I like Poetl, but I don't want to empty the farm for a rental. We already kind of did it once for Derrick White
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2023, 08:32:35 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
And we still need to match salary so Pritchard and Gallinari plus the pick.   Best case, we sign him and he becomes part of our core. Worst case, he flounders for the rest of this season and then signs with the Knicks or something. I have my doubts with him.

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2023, 10:26:29 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Gallo has been such a good soldier, sitting on the bench on most games. He doesn’t need to do that right? I honestly think that Brad has no intentions of trading him.

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2023, 10:32:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Gallo has been such a good soldier, sitting on the bench on most games. He doesn’t need to do that right? I honestly think that Brad has no intentions of trading him.

Eh.  As we always hear, it's a business.  If Brad is sentimental about trading a free agent who got injured and never played a game for us, he should find a new line of work.

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2023, 10:54:28 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

Eh.  As we always hear, it's a business.  If Brad is sentimental about trading a free agent who got injured and never played a game for us, he should find a new line of work.

Point well taken sir and I kinda agree with that. It’s just that I see Brad as high on culture, loyalty, character, etc. Let’s see how this unfolds. On an unrelated note, why do you have negative Tommy Points? I tried giving you one and true enough, it ended up cancelling one -TP.

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2023, 10:59:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Point well taken sir and I kinda agree with that. It’s just that I see Brad as high on culture, loyalty, character, etc. Let’s see how this unfolds. On an unrelated note, why do you have negative Tommy Points? I tried giving you one and true enough, it ended up cancelling one -TP.

Thanks.  Long story short...  several years ago, there was a little bit of drama about TPs.  People were becoming competitive about them, were setting up fake accounts to give themselves TPs, there were TP cliques, others were upset that they had lost them "betting" on the outcome of the 2010 Finals.  As a way to kind of undercut that resentment, I set mine to be -33,333.  It was basically a way of showing that if the most visible member of the blog didn't care about his TP count, maybe others would care less.  I think it worked somewhat, or at least people got bored about TP counts.  Now, I think they're closer to what they were intended to be, which is a simple gesture of good will.

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2023, 10:15:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I'm still guessing that this is old information regarding the Celtics, but:

Several teams are increasing their pursuit of Spurs center Jakob Poeltl, and it appears a move to the Eastern Conference could be possible ahead of the deadline. The Raptors and Celtics are among the teams expressing interest in Poeltl, sources say.  – via Shams Charania @ The Athletic

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2023, 10:49:02 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I'm still guessing that this is old information regarding the Celtics, but:

Several teams are increasing their pursuit of Spurs center Jakob Poeltl, and it appears a move to the Eastern Conference could be possible ahead of the deadline. The Raptors and Celtics are among the teams expressing interest in Poeltl, sources say.  – via Shams Charania @ The Athletic

I have said this elsewhere but I think Poeltl makes a lot of sense for Toronto.  They don't have a center.  They start Siakam (a true PF), Anunoby (kind of a swing), and Barnes (also a swing).  I think a center rounds them out nicely.  The trade I came up with is as follows:

Celtics Get:    Anunoby, Hernangomez
Raptors Get:  White, Poeltl
Spurs Get:     Gallinari, Josh Jackson, and picks

Then the Raps can trade Gary Trent to LAL and start:

VanVleet
White
Barnes
Siakam
Poeltl

The Celtics probably need to give a pick to the Spurs.  The Spurs can probably flip Gallinari for a pick or a decent young player once he is back on the court.  Toronto gives up the best player (although not by a ton) but they rebalance their roster and stay fairly young.  White is a better complement to VanVleet than Trent.  I am not suggesting this is going to happen, just trying to illustrate that Poeltl makes sense for Toronto.