Author Topic: Celtics (26-11) at Thunder (15-21) Game #38 1/3/23  (Read 9957 times)

Re: Celtics (26-11) at Thunder (15-21) Game #38 1/3/23
« Reply #180 on: January 03, 2023, 10:50:06 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
all I can think at this point, is that first 20 games really wasn't who this team is.
they over-performed, and we just have reverted to who we really are.

as another 3 gives OKC 150 for the game.  they might get to 160.

But it's worse than that. Not only was that not who we are, but we also created significant bad habits while doing so. We stopped knowing how to win games defensively and consistently putting in the effort on that end.

Now that we've come back to Earth, we don't have an identity, and Joe seems to have no clue where to go from here.

Can I ask a for real question:

The c's were 21-5 in their first 26 games. They are 5-7 since. Why assume the smaller sample is what they actually are and the larger sample was the fluke?

The c's weren't going to shoot 41% from three like they did the first 22 games of the year, but they aren't going to shoot 32% from three like they did the last 16 either. And they've actually (this game aside) been much better on defense lately than they were t start the year.

« Reply #181 on: January 03, 2023, 11:09:38 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
From the players postgame comments , it sounds pretty clear the Celtics came out with no effort once they found out SGA was not playing tonight.

« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2023, 11:23:05 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Every Scrub on Every team is scoring at will on this Celtics NO DEFENSE Team....I've never seen anything like it.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2023, 11:39:48 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
all I can think at this point, is that first 20 games really wasn't who this team is.
they over-performed, and we just have reverted to who we really are.

as another 3 gives OKC 150 for the game.  they might get to 160.

But it's worse than that. Not only was that not who we are, but we also created significant bad habits while doing so. We stopped knowing how to win games defensively and consistently putting in the effort on that end.

Now that we've come back to Earth, we don't have an identity, and Joe seems to have no clue where to go from here.

Can I ask a for real question:

The c's were 21-5 in their first 26 games. They are 5-7 since. Why assume the smaller sample is what they actually are and the larger sample was the fluke?

The c's weren't going to shoot 41% from three like they did the first 22 games of the year, but they aren't going to shoot 32% from three like they did the last 16 either. And they've actually (this game aside) been much better on defense lately than they were t start the year.

I agree it seems odd to think that the larger sample size is not the true identity.  But it just feels like to my eye test, the shooting has come back to earth and we just aren't doing the other things we need to do to win games.  Even though our def has maybe a bit better the last few games, it certainly wasn't tonight.  I don't remember another Celtic team that was a contender getting beat down on the road (+30 points) by a lottery team missing their best player.  Maybe this is an outlier, and rock bottom for our squad this year.  I hope so.

Well last year we shot 35% from 3 for the year.  So the 32% from the last 16 games is probably closer than the reality than the 41% is.  But it isn't really all about our shooting, it is everything.  We don't show up ready to play every game for some reason.  We let our bad shooting impact our def too much.  We aren't playing def well enough to win when we aren't shooting well.  That was something that last years team did well.

In general our def has slipped too much.  I know these aren't advanced stats, but just a look at the basics tells you a lot.

this year oppg - 113.3, rank= 13, last year 104.4, rank = 1st
this year opFG% - 46.8, rank = 13, last year 43.3, rank = 1st
this year rpg - 43.8, rank = 13, last year 46.1, rank = 5th
this year spg - 6.7, rank = 23, last year 7.2, rank = 19th
this year bpg - 5.1, rank =10, last year 5.8, rank = 2nd

Everything on the def side is worse than last year.  We let teams shoot a better %, we don't contest shots well enough.  We don't play good enough on ball def to make it hard on teams.  This is across the board everyone on the team.  Hopefully getting Rob back will help. 

« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2023, 12:59:48 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
From the players postgame comments , it sounds pretty clear the Celtics came out with no effort once they found out SGA was not playing tonight.

This is 100% a lack of effort, not taking the game serious, thinking they were going to pull it out of the fire like they have been. I don't think anyone would think that OKC would beat us in a 7 game series, which is probably where some of these players' heads were at. But if you let a team shoot 50% from 3 and 60% overall and you turn the ball over 17 times you will most likely lose the game. They didn't treat the other team with the respect they deserved and the basketball gods punished them for it.

Here's what Brogdon had to say:

And the players admitted they lacked focus and took the opponent lightly when Gilgeous-Alexander was scratched about 90 minutes before tip.

“We took a deep breath and relaxed,” Brogdon said. “Honestly we should know better than to come out and not play with aggression, not play with energy and urgency.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/01/03/sports/celtics-defense-puts-up-little-resistance-blowout-loss-undermanned-thunder/

This team will be its own greatest enemy in the run up to the playoffs. That's Joe's No.1 issue, above worrying about defensive schemes and shooting 3s or whatever else. Getting a team that everyone has anointed the championship favorites to consistently put 100% effort in. Just looking at the box score it's very clear who didn't put 100% effort in and didn't impact the game at all.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 01:20:59 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2023, 02:52:08 AM »

Offline LaBran Jaymes

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
What an embarrassing loss. These are supposed to be freebie wins. Championship teams don't squander these opportunities.

« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2023, 03:51:46 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Embarrassing is an understatement!! Blown out without their best player too..can’t lose to Orlando twice, pacers & thunder..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2023, 06:40:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It was a terrible embarrassing loss.   Zero defense,   Joe's gotta go

He wants to be the player's buddy and does not crack down when there is no effort, can't manage the games with time outs.

« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2023, 08:27:42 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Last season, when the team started badly, you wondered if Ime was a good coach or not.  Turned out he was fine.  This season, we get off to a fast start but that didn't mean that Mazzulla is a good coach.  In both cases, too early to tell.  This stretch has me worried both about the coach and the team.  I don't think this team is good enough as compared to the other top teams, to just coast through the regular season and then flip the switch for the playoffs.  That is what this team looks like lately, a team coasting, just expecting to make the finals.

I don't know the answer.  It is like when during a game, the other team makes a run.  The coach will often call a time out to try and change the mojo.  But just calling a time out is not enough, you have to change something, make an adjustment, maybe get in someone's face.  The Celtics need an adjustment.  Their defense isn't working.  An adjustment is needed.  And they need to play like they are fighting for their life every game.

Giving up 150 points is ridiculous.

« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2023, 09:31:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Honestly, this is apples and oranges. Vermont Green.   

Udoka made progress last year after a bad start, this year we had a hot start and then regression.   It is the complete opposite.

Udoka got better as the year went on.  This is not true of Joe, if you were evaluating him would you remove the interim?  I would not. 

« Reply #190 on: January 04, 2023, 09:58:46 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Honestly, this is apples and oranges. Vermont Green.   

Udoka made progress last year after a bad start, this year we had a hot start and then regression.   It is the complete opposite.

Udoka got better as the year went on.  This is not true of Joe, if you were evaluating him would you remove the interim?  I would not.

It is the same in that in both cases, it is too early to make a judgement as to how good of a coach either is.  Yes, the circumstances are different, and no, I would not remove the interim status.  To me, this is a chance for Mazzulla to earn his strips as a coach.  If he can turn this around, that shows well for him as a coach.

I think last season, Udoka focused on defense first and the offense came later.  You didn't know if Udoka was going to be able to fix the offense until he did.  Clearly this season, the offense was the focus but right now, the defense is not good enough for a team with championship aspirations.   Right now, we don't know if Mazzulla can fix the defense or not.  I think he probably will but I admit that I have my doubts, just like I had some doubts about Udoka at about this time last season.

« Reply #191 on: January 04, 2023, 10:46:00 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Is it time to let Udoka out of jail?

« Reply #192 on: January 04, 2023, 10:52:26 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Is it time to let Udoka out of jail?

Don't think so.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.