Author Topic: Celtics (26-10) at Nuggets (23-12) Game #37 1/1/23  (Read 13875 times)

Re: Celtics (26-10) at Nuggets (23-12) Game #37 1/1/23
« Reply #285 on: January 02, 2023, 12:39:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
It's not just a matter of 3 point shooting. Our defense sucked big time yesterday, and we turned the ball over a lot.

« Reply #286 on: January 02, 2023, 01:19:32 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
It's not just a matter of 3 point shooting. Our defense sucked big time yesterday, and we turned the ball over a lot.

Their defense wasn’t any worse than it was against the Clippers.  The Nuggets were just hitting their shots.  Also, the turnovers were pretty much on par with their season averages. 

« Reply #287 on: January 02, 2023, 03:05:06 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
I watched the Celtics game where they were up big but everyone kept slipping because the ice underneath was melting. They delayed and played a few weeks later.

I think it was against the Hawks.

I vaguely remember that, You could end a career trying to play on a slippery floor.
Gotta figure it was in the old Garden. What year was it ? 80's maybe ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #288 on: January 02, 2023, 03:24:08 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

Their defense wasn’t any worse than it was against the Clippers.  The Nuggets were just hitting their shots.  Also, the turnovers were pretty much on par with their season averages.

We've run into a few hot-shooting teams lately. I'm not sure I like the idea of laying the losses on playing teams that are having one of those nights.  If C's are championship caliber, they should be able to adjust in most of those circumstances.  Once in a while it won't work out, but the C's record since the last road trip is pedestrian. 6 losses in their last 11 games is concerning.  Yes, they lost to a good team yesterday and beat a good team on Thursday, but in the broader view they looked like the best team in the league a month ago and now not so much.

« Reply #289 on: January 02, 2023, 03:34:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

We've run into a few hot-shooting teams lately. I'm not sure I like the idea of laying the losses on playing teams that are having one of those nights.  If C's are championship caliber, they should be able to adjust in most of those circumstances.  Once in a while it won't work out, but the C's record since the last road trip is pedestrian. 6 losses in their last 11 games is concerning.  Yes, they lost to a good team yesterday and beat a good team on Thursday, but in the broader view they looked like the best team in the league a month ago and now not so much.

Exactly. You can't just chalk it up to hot shooting. Our defense is not what it used to be, and not where it needs to be if we want to go far in the playoffs. You aren't going to win a 7 game series by playing mediocre D and hoping outshoot the opponent from the 3pt line 4 out of 7 games. We need to have much better defensive intensity and discipline throughout, cut down bad turnovers, and attack the paint when the 3s are not falling. We beat the Clippers because we attacked the paint and played D in the second half.

« Reply #290 on: January 02, 2023, 05:38:18 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

Exactly. You can't just chalk it up to hot shooting. Our defense is not what it used to be, and not where it needs to be if we want to go far in the playoffs. You aren't going to win a 7 game series by playing mediocre D and hoping outshoot the opponent from the 3pt line 4 out of 7 games. We need to have much better defensive intensity and discipline throughout, cut down bad turnovers, and attack the paint when the 3s are not falling. We beat the Clippers because we attacked the paint and played D in the second half.

I hate to say it, but I think I’ve been in some denial about the possible impact of Ime’s “suspension”.  It seems clear that he spent the first half of last year getting the team bought into, used to, and competent in the defensive scheme.  It’s clear that if it was the practice element that eventually made the Cs the defensive monster they became in the second half of last year, they are clearly not getting the practice they need this year. Maybe there is the notion that they can kick it into gear when they need to - but I haven’t seen the level of team defensive intensity, expertise, or sustainability that they had when they were operating on all cylinders last spring. I’m not good at assessing coaching, but this seems that it may be a coaching issue.

« Reply #291 on: January 02, 2023, 06:19:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I hate to say it, but I think I’ve been in some denial about the possible impact of Ime’s “suspension”.  It seems clear that he spent the first half of last year getting the team bought into, used to, and competent in the defensive scheme.  It’s clear that if it was the practice element that eventually made the Cs the defensive monster they became in the second half of last year, they are clearly not getting the practice they need this year. Maybe there is the notion that they can kick it into gear when they need to - but I haven’t seen the level of team defensive intensity, expertise, or sustainability that they had when they were operating on all cylinders last spring. I’m not good at assessing coaching, but this seems that it may be a coaching issue.

I have similar concerns. I don't know if it's Ime, or Will Hardy leaving, or both, or something else, but the focus and strategy on defense hasn't been there this season. It was what got us to the Finals last season and we're not getting back there without it. The roster is largely the same with minor changes that make it better. We didn't lose any players that would have impacted our defense. I hope it's just a matter of turning it on when needed, but I am not sure.

« Reply #292 on: January 02, 2023, 09:22:50 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
Forcing 3's makes it harder for your defense to get set. The culprit behind their problems is they regressed to undisciplined ball. Take higher % shots, move the ball and good things will come. If they decide they rather chuck 3's then this year will end just like the others.
So far from what I've seen, Brad and Joe are the same.
Still don't believe in Joe.