Author Topic: All-Time Scoring Record About to Fall  (Read 19323 times)

Re: All-Time Scoring Record About to Fall
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2023, 12:29:41 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I wonder if LeBron has a preference.

The NBA said it's going to make sure it's a big deal, with "ceremonies during and after."

So do you want that to happen during a tough opponent like the Bucks, or do you want that to be during a much easier opponent like the Thunder?  If you're a player, do you want them to stop the game in the middle of the 2nd quarter for 15 minutes when you're down 10 trying to make a run?  Also would suck some of the energy out of a post game celebration if your team just lost.  But breaking the record might also give you and your team a momentum boost that helps you win.

I'm sure the NBA wants to milk it.  The NBA's ideal scenario is probably LeBron is like 30-40 away going into the Bucks game.  Something attainable but not guaranteed.  Get a big ratings boost against the Bucks, but have LeBron fall short, so then you get another bigger ratings boost on a Saturday non-cable nationally televised prime time game against the most popular team of the last decade.

vs Giannis, then vs Steph and Golden State.  That's gotta be the NBA's dream.

Will also be interesting if LeBron is like 2 points away with like 2 minutes to go in a blowout vs the Pelicans.  See if he goes for the record then or waits.  I can see it now, LeBron waits.  Ticket prices skyrocket for the game against the Thunder, only for LeBron to sit that one out, lol.

Outside of the back-to-back with the Nets/Knicks, super interested to see if LeBron sits any games to try to make the record happen on a certain night.

The thing about Lebron sitting is the lakers can’t really afford to have him miss games. They are currently outside the playin looking in and we are halfway through season.

I hope that the Lakers have to scrap and scrape their way to getting blown out of tbe 1st riundof the playoffs

Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2023, 12:47:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

The NBA said it's going to make sure it's a big deal, with "ceremonies during and after."

So do you want that to happen during a tough opponent like the Bucks, or do you want that to be during a much easier opponent like the Thunder?  If you're a player, do you want them to stop the game in the middle of the 2nd quarter for 15 minutes when you're down 10 trying to make a run?  Also would suck some of the energy out of a post game celebration if your team just lost.  But breaking the record might also give you and your team a momentum boost that helps you win.

I'm sure the NBA wants to milk it.  The NBA's ideal scenario is probably LeBron is like 30-40 away going into the Bucks game.  Something attainable but not guaranteed.  Get a big ratings boost against the Bucks, but have LeBron fall short, so then you get another bigger ratings boost on a Saturday non-cable nationally televised prime time game against the most popular team of the last decade.

Will also be interesting if LeBron is like 2 points away with like 2 minutes to go in a blowout vs the Pelicans.  See if he goes for the record then or waits.  I can see it now, LeBron waits.  Ticket prices skyrocket for the game against the Thunder, only for LeBron to sit that one out, lol.

Outside of the back-to-back with the Nets/Knicks, super interested to see if LeBron sits any games to try to make the record happen on a certain night.

The thing about Lebron sitting is the lakers can’t really afford to have him miss games. They are currently outside the playin looking in and we are halfway through season.

I hope that the Lakers have to scrap and scrape their way to getting blown out of tbe 1st riundof the playoffs
I'd rather see them miss the play-in round by a significant amount to humble Lebron and the Lakers which will also bring me joy for their moaning over their high draft pick going to NO as a reward for handing them AD

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2023, 01:01:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'd rather see them miss the play-in round by a significant amount to humble Lebron and the Lakers which will also bring me joy for their moaning over their high draft pick going to NO as a reward for handing them AD

I'll take either scenario, but missing the playoffs and sending the pick to NOP would be glorious. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2023, 02:12:07 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

I'll take either scenario, but missing the playoffs and sending the pick to NOP would be glorious.
I actually worry about New Orleans in the long term as a title contender.  If they added a top 4 pick to their current roster, they'd be incredibly formidable and could be that way for a long time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2023, 06:19:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Yeah if you can’t enjoy that are you even a Celtics fan?

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2023, 06:24:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah if you can’t enjoy that are you even a Celtics fan?
I would only not be overwhelmed with joy if NOP ended up with Wembenyama. Would be an insane group
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2023, 06:48:42 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
In thinking about LeBron breaking the record, I've arrived at the conclusion that scoring so many points was much more difficult for Malone and Kareem, because a) the game was much more physical back then, and b) neither of those guys was ever the league's "golden boy," so they weren't given as much preferential treatment from officials.

And yes, I'm a bit salty about LeBron getting the record. I pretty much can't stand him. ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2023, 01:27:36 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
In thinking about LeBron breaking the record, I've arrived at the conclusion that scoring so many points was much more difficult for Malone and Kareem, because a) the game was much more physical back then, and b) neither of those guys was ever the league's "golden boy," so they weren't given as much preferential treatment from officials.

And yes, I'm a bit salty about LeBron getting the record. I pretty much can't stand him. ;D

Don’t worry our resident Lebron fan will be in with some obscure small sample stat that proves Lebron had the toughest path. At a larger level I think these all time records are going to get destroyed if the NBA doesn’t adjust the rules to allow defense. There were two games with 270+ tonight. People are scoring 30-40 every game and there are like 6 guys averaging 30+

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2023, 09:21:36 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

The league is less physical, though the players all play less games.

And there are other ways to look at these things.  I mean Kareem played in the 70's and 80's his entire career.  In the 69-70 season the league average was 116.7 ppg and until he retired there were only 2 seasons under 105 ppg, 74-75 at 102.6 and 75-76 at 104.3 and he had 7 total seasons above 110 ppg. 

Malone started in the high scoring 80's, but then went into the much lower scoring 90's and early 00's and ended up with 9 seasons in the 90's, 9 seasons in the 100's, and 1 season in the 110's (his rookie year).  He had 8 over 105 and 3 under 95.

James' 1st year was Malone's last year and that season was under 95.  For most of the rest of the 00's and into the early 10's scoring was in the 90's and has gone up ever since with the last 4 + this one all being above 110 (the 114.2 so far this year is the most since Kareem's rookie year in 69-70).  In total, including this year, Lebron had 8 seasons in the 90's (1 under 95), 7 seasons in the 100's, and 5 seasons in the 110's. 

So while the league was more physical during Kareem's time, they also scored a heck of a lot more points.  Malone seems to have the worst end of it as the league was pretty low scoring during the heart of his prime i.e. the 90's, though that is when they did start adjusting the rules to favor offenses more, not like today, but also not like the 80's either. 

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2023, 09:53:54 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
No surprise, Lebron is sitting out tonight's game against the Nets.  He is 117 points away, which means he could do it in 3 (especially if he has his typical monster game in the Garden against the Knicks), but 4 is far more likely and 5 is certainly possible.  I'm guessing it will be in the first half of the Thunder game at this point.

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2023, 01:17:02 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Don’t worry our resident Lebron fan will be in with some obscure small sample stat that proves Lebron had the toughest path. At a larger level I think these all time records are going to get destroyed if the NBA doesn’t adjust the rules to allow defense. There were two games with 270+ tonight. People are scoring 30-40 every game and there are like 6 guys averaging 30+
Wilt's 100 will never be broken.

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2023, 01:19:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
In light of recent (and not so recent) events, I think you'll be hard-pressed to find many people on this board to share in the enthusiasm of Lebron closing in on the scoring record.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2023, 01:25:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That's probably as much because teams don't want to disrespect their opponent.  I can't imagine another player will take 63 shots (and another 32 FTAs).  But Kobe, if he was playing today?  With the overall increase in scoring and poor defense, he might be able to jack up enough to get there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2023, 01:26:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

That's probably as much because teams don't want to disrespect their opponent.  I can't imagine another player will take 63 shots (and another 32 FTAs).  But Kobe, if he was playing today?  With the overall increase in scoring and poor defense, he might be able to jack up enough to get there.

Ha....He'd definitely try & make a run at it.  That's for sure.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2023, 01:28:58 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Yawn.