Author Topic: Blake Griffin - What is His Role?  (Read 5859 times)

Re: Blake Griffin - What is His Role?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2022, 02:19:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25617
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I get that his principle role right now is to fill in for Horford when Horford is being rested.  I get that.  And I get that they are using him in a manner that allows other rotations to stay the same.  He takes Horford's role when Horford is out, everyone else stays the same.

He has mostly been paired with Grant when he plays.  Sometimes the single big, sometimes with Kornet.  That is a pretty limited role though.  He seems to have rounded into shape.  Integrates his game very seamlessly (high court IQ).  Why not expand his role to take some minutes at PF also and relieve the load for others even when Horford plays?  Have that flexibility for later in the season or playoffs?

Or is this it?  This is his role which basically means we don't see him in the playoffs unless there is foul trouble.

I think that is right.  Griffin's role in the playoffs is to keep guys loose on the sidelines.  As mentioned above, I think that there are a lot of comparisons between his role and the 2008 Scalabrine role, except that Griffin isn't being used like a victory cigar.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2022, 02:41:16 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2420
Break glass in case of emergency player.

He doesn't have a consistent game-to-game role. He is not a rotation player. He is a 3rd stringer. Only used in emergencies. So his playing time is volatile.

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2022, 02:44:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3186
Blakes's play also serves as a notice to other vets that want to revive their careers. It's the best ad for "Come play in Boston!"

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2022, 02:56:23 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I get that his principle role right now is to fill in for Horford when Horford is being rested.  I get that.  And I get that they are using him in a manner that allows other rotations to stay the same.  He takes Horford's role when Horford is out, everyone else stays the same.

He has mostly been paired with Grant when he plays.  Sometimes the single big, sometimes with Kornet.  That is a pretty limited role though.  He seems to have rounded into shape.  Integrates his game very seamlessly (high court IQ).  Why not expand his role to take some minutes at PF also and relieve the load for others even when Horford plays?  Have that flexibility for later in the season or playoffs?

Or is this it?  This is his role which basically means we don't see him in the playoffs unless there is foul trouble.

I think that is right.  Griffin's role in the playoffs is to keep guys loose on the sidelines.  As mentioned above, I think that there are a lot of comparisons between his role and the 2008 Scalabrine role, except that Griffin isn't being used like a victory cigar.
I agree with the others that it is about the rotation.
Griffin doesn't need to be Al when Al is out
He allows Kornet to still be Kornet when Al is out.

I'm anxiuos to see what happens when Rob is back.

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2022, 03:32:38 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873

He doesn't have a consistent game-to-game role. He is not a rotation player. He is a 3rd stringer. Only used in emergencies. So his playing time is volatile.

It seems to me that he can be more than that though.  At the start of the season, his play was that of a 3rd string guy but his play (and I think conditioning) has continued to steadily improve.  If he can come off the bench and give us 13 pts, 8 Rebs, a couple of assists and serviceable defense, why limit him to a 3rd string role?  Is his play now all that much different than Grant at this point?  He was better than Grant last game (vs. TOR).  I know just one game but it is how he has been playing lately.

It may well be that they are worried about his durability but they played him 32 min (exactly the same as Grant).  It doesn't seem like going from not playing to starting and playing 32 min is the best thing if durability is an issue.  You didn't worry about that with Scal.

I know there really isn't an answer to these questions but I guess I am saying it may be time to start playing him more or at least more regularly.

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2022, 03:42:49 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2538
I think that having serviceable guys down the bench who are able to fill in after having not played regular minutes is a nice luxury.  Blake, PP, and maybe Luke once Rob is back. It’s undeniable that every few games the Cs will have minutes available for these guys and it’s great that they can be solid practice players and occasional fill-ins. I don’t know how necessary it is for Blake to get regular minutes as long as his conditioning is decent. Pritchard probably would benefit from a stint or 2 every game when possible.

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2022, 04:14:14 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

It seems to me that he can be more than that though.  At the start of the season, his play was that of a 3rd string guy but his play (and I think conditioning) has continued to steadily improve.  If he can come off the bench and give us 13 pts, 8 Rebs, a couple of assists and serviceable defense, why limit him to a 3rd string role?  Is his play now all that much different than Grant at this point?  He was better than Grant last game (vs. TOR).  I know just one game but it is how he has been playing lately.

It may well be that they are worried about his durability but they played him 32 min (exactly the same as Grant).  It doesn't seem like going from not playing to starting and playing 32 min is the best thing if durability is an issue.  You didn't worry about that with Scal.

I know there really isn't an answer to these questions but I guess I am saying it may be time to start playing him more or at least more regularly.
Blake will sit out the first of back to backs.
How many "semi"-consistent minutes make it worth it. 8ish?
He could take some of Al's and Grant's minutes.

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2022, 04:49:22 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I'm not 100% sure on this.  Blake is getting his legs under him now.  I wondered previously on this thread whether he might eventually earn a role in the regular rotation.  I also would imagine that coach may just throw Blake in there for certain matchups or to give a spark here and there in the playoffs.  Perhaps grant will be ineffective sometimes too. Maybe, maybe not.  But he's earning the trust a bit more.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 05:06:44 PM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2022, 05:18:05 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 989

I'm not 100% sure on this.  Blake is getting his legs under him now.  I wondered previously on this thread whether he might eventually earn a role in the regular rotation.  I also would imagine that coach may just throw Blake in there for certain matchups or to give a spark here and there in the playoffs.  Perhaps grant will be ineffective sometimes too. Maybe, maybe not.  But he's earning the trust a bit more.

Assuming no injuries, it’s pretty unlikely we’ll see Blake in the playoff rotation with the current roster .  There is always rest between games, sometimes multiple days, so Rob and Al won’t need nights off unless there’s an actual problem.  Rotations shrink, and Hauser is more likely to be the 9th man than Blake.

If we need a spark some game, sure we might see him.  If there’s an injury, then obviously he’s an option.  But as someone who we expect to see most nights in the postseason, no, that feels unlikely with the current roster.

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2022, 08:14:41 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
I think this role makes perfect sense for someone like Blake. He's played in over 700 NBA games, he doesn't care about getting out there for garbage time and he doesn't need it to get into rhythm because he has 14 years of NBA experience. He's in rhythm.

He's the perfect personality for this Celtic team and what it needed once Timelord had surgery. They needed a big who could come in and contribute but wouldn't mind racking up DNP's when Timelord comes back. Going as small as they have, we've seen that Blake is fine with that. He seems happy to be in a good situation.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2022, 08:34:18 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
I think this role makes perfect sense for someone like Blake. He's played in over 700 NBA games, he doesn't care about getting out there for garbage time and he doesn't need it to get into rhythm because he has 14 years of NBA experience. He's in rhythm.

He's the perfect personality for this Celtic team and what it needed once Timelord had surgery. They needed a big who could come in and contribute but wouldn't mind racking up DNP's when Timelord comes back. Going as small as they have, we've seen that Blake is fine with that. He seems happy to be in a good situation.

As with Al, I do hope Blake Griffin wins a ring with us. Blake was once a diva with CP3 and Doc on the Clippers, but he's matured and grew out of that. He's more of a mentor/guy who will play spot-up minutes for another teammate and he's accepted that responsibility signing with us. Glad to see him out of that Pistons and Nets dysfunctional franchises, as well.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2022, 02:35:40 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Towel waver when his teammates make an impressive play on the court.

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2022, 03:23:51 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Towel waver when his teammates make an impressive play on the court.

This is stupid. There is no such role in a professional basketball team.

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2022, 03:28:48 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1382
I am trying to figure out what they are doing with Blake.  He seems to play only sporadically but when he does play, he plays relatively big minutes.  In last night's game (@ TOR), 32 min, 13 pts, 8 rebs, all around decent game.  Looked healthy and in shape.

So why do they keep him out for 2 or 3 games completely but then play him 32 min (I know Horford was out).  Why not play him some in every game so that he has continuity?  I don't recall a player having his minutes managed in this way.  I am sure it is at some level what they feel is best to preserve him for the playoffs, but it is unusual.

And what is the end game here?  I am still not clear that he is going to be a productive player getting minutes in the playoffs or not.  To me, he is playing well enough to play say 16 min every night and then maybe more when Horford is resting.  I wonder if when needed for the playoffs, will he play every game or if this is just what he needs to recover?

I feel like his role is to be a substitute when someone is out, to replace someone's minutes rather than alleviate them. He's not tasked as an end of bench guy that might play a few minutes here and there in garbage time, he's going to be a guy that will play a lot of minutes when someone is out. That suggests to me that Joe is happy with his current rotation with Kornet/GWill providing different looks offensively and defensively when Horford comes off but he wants to preserve Griffin who he sees as someone to rely on for the whole game if someone sits out due to SEGABABAs, as opposed to Kornet who fills more of a niche role. Obviously Blake has history with his knees, why tempt fate by overplaying him at age 33?

Of course, I could also be spitballing...could be a simple as he's a sub, he will play when Al can't play big minutes but he won't take minutes away from other player during the normal rotation. We might be overthinking it. Blake himself has said his role is this:

Griffin said he has accepted his role in Boston, which is whatever coach Joe Mazzulla asks. There are going to be nights when Griffin contributes to a win and others when he doesn’t leave the bench. He’s at peace with that.

“It’s great to be out there,” he said. “But my role here is to do exactly what is asked. Just be ready. It’s always great to be out there. I always want to be out there. We have the luxury of having so many great players and guys on the bench who could play a lot of minutes for other teams. But sometimes you sacrifice things to be on a team like this.”

Griffin said he does not need more clarity on his role. He understands there are younger players in front of him, so his time will be limited.

“I just tell him if he needs me to play, I’ll play at the end of games,” Griffin said. “We discussed my role for sure but I also told him I don’t always need an explanation. He can focus on coaching. He doesn’t have to explain to me why he’s doing this or that. It’s not going to change how I prepare or how I feel about this team or what I give to this team.

“I’d love to always play. But I’m trying to be here and be available and do whatever is asked.”

He also did say this, which is a piece that fans don't always see, which might explain why he's being managed this way:

Griffin admitted he reported to the Celtics in good physical shape but not in premium basketball shape. He’s worked the past six weeks to improve his endurance and the results have been flashes of athleticism from his past.

“It took me a couple of weeks, maybe a month to get my legs back under me,” he said. “When I came in here, I was working out, but nothing gets you in shape like really ramping up, playing 5-on-5. I hadn’t done anything of that. I’ve felt great for the past month or so.”

For the full article on Blake's role, see https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/12/06/sports/blake-griffin-understands-his-role-with-celtics-hes-playing-it-perfectly/

« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 03:34:46 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2023, 05:57:36 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1382
Gotta give Blake credit for staying ready and not complaining about his role or his minutes, especially given his past as an All-Star and a max player. He's a shadow of what he used to be but he's accepted it and is willing to still put the effort in like he was a practice player. I love guys with this attitude.

Former stars approaching the tail-end of their careers tend to be reluctant to put even more wear and tear on their bodies, and even risk injury, by hopping into these battles. So when Celtics star Jayson Tatum looks over and sees six-time All-Star Blake Griffin running and jumping and hustling in a post-practice, full-court session, it leaves an impression.

“You just don’t see that with guys that were at his level,” Tatum said. “It’s been really unique to see. I appreciate that a lot. The guys do as well. He never makes it about himself, and it’s contagious. His energy, his enthusiasm, his personality. We’re all very fortunate to have him as a teammate, because everybody respects him and respects what he’s accomplished, and his voice carries.”

On Saturday night, getting a significant opportunity in coach Joe Mazzulla’s condensed eight-man rotation, Griffin provided a jolt for the Celtics at both ends of the court in their 134-125 win over the Hawks. Griffin, who turns 34 Thursday, registered 8 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, and 1 blocked shot in 15 minutes.

And his impact was felt in other ways. He set productive screens, took a charge, kept balls alive on offense, and came up with deflections on defense.

“I just like his overall mental, physical, emotional toughness that he brings to our team,” Mazzulla said. “I feel like he just makes the guys better when he’s on the floor.”

The Celtics have outscored opponents by 9.5 points per 100 possessions with Griffin on the court, the third-best net rating on the team and just 0.4 points behind Derrick White and Robert Williams.

“He lifts our group,” forward Al Horford said.

Mazzulla has been somewhat fickle with his frontcourt bench rotations with Williams sidelined with a strained hamstring, and he often says his choices are dictated by matchups. But over the past two games — both Celtics wins — Griffin clearly moved ahead of Grant Williams, Luke Kornet, and Mike Muscala on the depth chart.

Griffin, for one, stressed that he’s not reading into this possible trend. He also knows Robert Williams will likely be back soon.

“If [Mazzulla] wants to go with somebody else and they think that’s the right matchup, then I’ll be on the bench cheering just like I was, just like those guys are right now,” Griffin said. “I think it probably will be matchup dependent while Rob’s out. There’s going to be games where we need other guys, so our job and what we’ve tried to do is just always stay ready.”

“The guys on this team are awesome,” Griffin said. “Like, everybody’s genuinely happy for each other. When one of us gets thrown in there and we do well, the bench thrives, there’s energy, and we feed off each other. I’ve really enjoyed being around these guys. Helps to win a lot of games; but these guys are great.”

Added Tatum: “If somebody that has a Hall of Fame résumé can buy in and just be that selfless, it just carries throughout the entire team … However many minutes he gets, you know he’s going to bust his [butt].”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/03/12/sports/despite-an-ever-changing-celtics-role-blake-griffin-just-continues-put-work/
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D