Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 291592 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #1440 on: January 24, 2023, 09:44:46 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Rival teams in need of size are monitoring Kings center Richaun Holmes as a potential buyout candidate in the event that Sacramento is unable to trade him before the deadline, sources say. – via Marc Stein @ marcstein.substack.com

Why would Sacramento buy out Holmes?  He's only getting around 10 mpg, but isn't having a veteran on the team better than having nobody?

He is unhappy with his lack of playing time and both sides would like a divorce.
Doesn't he have 3 years left.

If they are basically looking to dump him, I'd probably do Gallinari, Jackson, and Kornet for him and I'd probably bring back Delly for some depth (though he isn't necessary to acquire).  I'd trust Holmes more than Kornet in a big spot in the playoffs and if it doesn't work out long term, Holmes provides some nice salary to use in a trade this summer. 

so Holmes, Dellavedova for Gallinari, Jackson, Kornet

The unhappiness is a two-way street.  He’s upset he’s not a starter.  He wouldn’t be a starter here.  Unlike Crowder he’s showing up to work, but the situation is similar.

I'm sure he's unhappy, and I'm sure Sacramento has some interest in accommodating a trade request if there's a willing partner.

But, like Mo said, why buy out somebody with another guaranteed year plus a player option? 

My guess is that Stein is passing on some pretty bad information here.

He might be, but the rumor of Holmes asking for a trade request has been around all season.  As for the buyout, if he’s not tradeable, SAC might be willing to eat next year’s deal in exchange for getting out of the option, and if Holmes is that unhappy and can’t get traded, he might be okay with that too.

« Reply #1441 on: January 24, 2023, 09:55:45 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
He might be, but the rumor of Holmes asking for a trade request has been around all season.  As for the buyout, if he’s not tradeable, SAC might be willing to eat next year’s deal in exchange for getting out of the option, and if Holmes is that unhappy and can’t get traded, he might be okay with that too.

Yeah, fair point on the player option year but that is still a lot of money to leave on the table for both parties.  That would be almost $13M of dead money for SAC for next season.  Why not wait and try to trade him again in the off season?  Why buy him out now?

In any case, I have always felt he was overrated but he no doubt could help some contenders.  He isn't going to be a starter though.  And tough to trade with that contract.  Maybe something big with BKN involving Simmons?

« Reply #1442 on: January 24, 2023, 10:05:37 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Yeah, fair point on the player option year but that is still a lot of money to leave on the table for both parties.  That would be almost $13M of dead money for SAC for next season.  Why not wait and try to trade him again in the off season?  Why buy him out now?

In any case, I have always felt he was overrated but he no doubt could help some contenders.  He isn't going to be a starter though.  And tough to trade with that contract.  Maybe something big with BKN involving Simmons?

Sacramento is having its best season in decades.  If buying him out in a few weeks is addition by subtraction, they should consider it.

« Reply #1443 on: January 24, 2023, 10:17:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Sacramento is having its best season in decades.  If buying him out in a few weeks is addition by subtraction, they should consider it.

Wouldn't the Kings just Keith Bogans him?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1444 on: January 24, 2023, 10:26:29 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Wouldn't the Kings just Keith Bogans him?

If they can get out of his option year via a buyout now, I think they’d do that and take the roster spot.  Maybe stretch him if they want some cap flexibility for the summer.  He’s going to cost something to move, and that might not change in the summer.

« Reply #1445 on: January 24, 2023, 11:15:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

That is interesting.  Something like Simmons for Barnes, Holmes in theory makes sense for both teams. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1446 on: January 24, 2023, 11:54:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That is interesting.  Something like Simmons for Barnes, Holmes in theory makes sense for both teams.

I think that the "in theory" qualifier is a big one.  Simmons could help Sacramento, but I think more likely he'd be a distraction and a salary albatross. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1447 on: January 24, 2023, 12:08:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I think that the "in theory" qualifier is a big one.  Simmons could help Sacramento, but I think more likely he'd be a distraction and a salary albatross.
Maybe, but I do think he'd work alright with Fox and Sabonis and the two shooters in Huerter and Murray.  They'd have such good passing and rebounding, they'd be a tough out.

« Reply #1448 on: January 25, 2023, 12:20:52 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
46 for Lebron in a losing effort tonight.

« Reply #1449 on: January 25, 2023, 05:44:21 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
46 for Lebron in a losing effort tonight.
Must took extra dose of steroids
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #1450 on: January 25, 2023, 07:09:16 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I hope Boston just hammers the lakers Saturday

« Reply #1451 on: January 25, 2023, 09:01:05 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I hope Boston just hammers the lakers Saturday

Yep. Lebron can score 40 for all I care, lets just beat them by 40 as well  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1452 on: January 25, 2023, 09:34:52 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Chris Paul getting traded back to the Clippers has been gaining traction on some national talk radio shows. 

A trade that was being discussed (not rumored just sort of talk show thinking of deals) was something like

Clippers - Paul, Crowder
Raptors - Powell, Shamet (perhaps a 1st from LA)
Suns - VanVleet, Covington, Wall

That would be an interesting trade for all 3 teams. 

« Reply #1453 on: January 25, 2023, 10:19:22 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Our cushion in the East is starting to decrease. PHI just 3.5 back of us, and MIL/BKN right behind too less than 4.5 back. We're still in a good spot but we do need to start winning some games again
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1454 on: January 25, 2023, 10:31:16 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Our cushion in the East is starting to decrease. PHI just 3.5 back of us, and MIL/BKN right behind too less than 4.5 back. We're still in a good spot but we do need to start winning some games again

Ebbs & flows of a long season.  I think they should be fine. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team