Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 294447 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #4035 on: June 15, 2023, 11:12:37 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551
 Not caring about a Fonals MVP trophy is not the same thing as not caring about winning or even winning it.  It is a trophy. Who cares about the actual trophy.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4036 on: June 15, 2023, 11:39:48 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

;)
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #4037 on: June 15, 2023, 11:51:06 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Agreed with Gouki - and I would point out that Chuck, in particular, was the face of a very famous "I am not a role model" Nike commercial exactly because putting athletes on a pedestal for being good at a game is, fundamentally, weird.

I would wager that most normal people - no matter how much you enjoy your job or how good you are at it - don't exclusively rely on their professional life when calculating the sum of their human achievements. Athletes aren't, or shouldn't be, any different.

I think we are talking two separate things here. I dont think most people do. But at the same time I don't see how its "refreshing" for someone to act dismissive when reaching the pinnacle of their career/sport.

if celtics won the championship last year and Tatum was freaking out about having to stay in Boston an extra 3 days for the parade and said he lost his MVP trophy and cant wait to get out of Boston to go back home I do think the attitude on this board would be different....

One thing that I can't stand about Tatum, Brown, and Smart is their need for personal accolades. I could imagine if the Celtics won the title, and one of them received the Finals MVP trophy, the scenario would be different. Whoever won the MVP, would have 24 hour surveillance on the trophy. Meanwhile, someone could easily walk away with the championship ring.

« Reply #4038 on: June 15, 2023, 01:58:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not caring about a Fonals MVP trophy is not the same thing as not caring about winning or even winning it.  It is a trophy. Who cares about the actual trophy.

Agreed. 

The thing I care about: does Jokic care about winning titles?  Clearly he does.

I don't care if he is motivated or not by personal accolades, or if he wants to wait around three days for a parade celebrating the title.  He's "off the clock" right now.  Time to get ready for next season and do it again.

People don't get down on Kyrie for having interests outside of basketball, or for appreciating downtime in the off-season.  They get on him for putting his own best interest over the good of his team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4039 on: June 15, 2023, 02:27:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
https://www.tmz.com/2023/06/15/conor-mcgregor-accused-raping-woman-nba-finals-game/

Yikes.  I have no idea how credible those allegations are, but the suggestion that Heat and NBA employees were complicit is potentially concerning for the league.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4040 on: June 15, 2023, 03:07:09 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
https://www.tmz.com/2023/06/15/conor-mcgregor-accused-raping-woman-nba-finals-game/

Yikes.  I have no idea how credible those allegations are, but the suggestion that Heat and NBA employees were complicit is potentially concerning for the league.
Is that the same game he knocked out the mascot?

« Reply #4041 on: June 15, 2023, 03:27:25 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I finally watched the McGregor "knockout". That looked totally staged, and the only way the mascot would have been knocked out is if they hit their head on the floor. Nothing about that thing was real. The only thing I saw was bad acting.

« Reply #4042 on: June 15, 2023, 04:08:47 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1441
Chris Paul 'absolutely' wants to stay in Phoenix

Chris Paul didn’t look to go into detail about his present and future, but made one thing clear. He wants to stay in Phoenix. “Absolutely,” Paul said. “That’s why I’m there.” Paul addressed his situation with the Suns during an interview Thursday morning regarding his powerful new book titled, “Sixty-One – Life Lessons From Papa, On And Off The Court,” about his late grandfather, Nathaniel “Papa” Jones. – via Arizona Republic
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4043 on: June 15, 2023, 05:04:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Agreed. 

The thing I care about: does Jokic care about winning titles?  Clearly he does.

I don't care if he is motivated or not by personal accolades, or if he wants to wait around three days for a parade celebrating the title.  He's "off the clock" right now.  Time to get ready for next season and do it again.

People don't get down on Kyrie for having interests outside of basketball, or for appreciating downtime in the off-season.  They get on him for putting his own best interest over the good of his team.
Ding ding. All Jokic ever talks about is winning, even with relation to the two MVPs. He doesn't seem to give a hoot about individual accolades, despite vacuuming them up.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4044 on: June 15, 2023, 05:04:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

This seems pretty in line with his behavioural history
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4045 on: June 15, 2023, 06:27:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

I finally watched the McGregor "knockout". That looked totally staged, and the only way the mascot would have been knocked out is if they hit their head on the floor. Nothing about that thing was real. The only thing I saw was bad acting.

Mascot literally went to the hospital. The heat are not holding grudges cause it seemed like a fluke injury but he definitely was legitimately hurt unless there is some crazy conspiracy.

« Reply #4046 on: June 15, 2023, 06:54:20 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Heat Culture?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #4047 on: June 16, 2023, 07:57:14 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Doc Rivers says it was ‘challenging’ coaching James Harden

“It was challenging. More because we were fighting two things, and not like visually fighting. James was so good at playing one way, and the way I believe you have to play to win, in some ways is different because it’s a lot of giving up the ball, moving the ball and coming back to the ball.”

You could see it. And then there was talk about James wanting to get back to "playing like himself" next season after Philly got eliminated.

Doc has faults, but he's right in this regard. Philly can't run a Harden-centric offense with Embiid in the mix. And then you have Maxey who is developing. It makes no sense.
Philly's only chance of beating us was when Harden was being aggressive with his shot-making. If Doc is the one who pushed him towards that pass at all costs style we saw, then he is wrong.

I doubt in the games Harden had 12 points it was because Doc told him to stop scoring and being aggressive. he's just not "that guy" anymore that he was in Houston. He's 34....alot of Stars at that age you will see them have "throwback" games but can't keep up that level.

We saw it with Pierce/Garnett in their final year here in the playoffs. They had games where it looked like garnett of old. but then his age showed.

if sixers want to build an offense around a 34 year old harden taking 20 shots a game i'm all for it. because that team will not win. But then again, they wont beat the celtics with Embiid taking 30 shots and flopping all over the floor and being exhausted by the 4th quarter.

sixers are in a tough spot IMO. They are good enough to be a top 3 team in the east, but not good enough to beat Milwaukee/Celtics IMO. and they don't have much room to improve especially if Harden leaves. Unless they can trick some team into taking Harris.

« Reply #4048 on: June 16, 2023, 08:26:54 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551

“It was challenging. More because we were fighting two things, and not like visually fighting. James was so good at playing one way, and the way I believe you have to play to win, in some ways is different because it’s a lot of giving up the ball, moving the ball and coming back to the ball.”

You could see it. And then there was talk about James wanting to get back to "playing like himself" next season after Philly got eliminated.

Doc has faults, but he's right in this regard. Philly can't run a Harden-centric offense with Embiid in the mix. And then you have Maxey who is developing. It makes no sense.
Philly's only chance of beating us was when Harden was being aggressive with his shot-making. If Doc is the one who pushed him towards that pass at all costs style we saw, then he is wrong.

I doubt in the games Harden had 12 points it was because Doc told him to stop scoring and being aggressive. he's just not "that guy" anymore that he was in Houston. He's 34....alot of Stars at that age you will see them have "throwback" games but can't keep up that level.

We saw it with Pierce/Garnett in their final year here in the playoffs. They had games where it looked like garnett of old. but then his age showed.

if sixers want to build an offense around a 34 year old harden taking 20 shots a game i'm all for it. because that team will not win. But then again, they wont beat the celtics with Embiid taking 30 shots and flopping all over the floor and being exhausted by the 4th quarter.

sixers are in a tough spot IMO. They are good enough to be a top 3 team in the east, but not good enough to beat Milwaukee/Celtics IMO. and they don't have much room to improve especially if Harden leaves. Unless they can trick some team into taking Harris.
Harris is an expiring contract.  Harris + Maxey is a pretty solid starting package for one of those high priced stars like Lillard, Beal, etc. I mean, I'd much rather that than something centered on Herro as an example.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4049 on: June 16, 2023, 09:05:12 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

Harris is an expiring contract.  Harris + Maxey is a pretty solid starting package for one of those high priced stars like Lillard, Beal, etc. I mean, I'd much rather that than something centered on Herro as an example.

Yeah, Philly have more manevourability than I realized a few weeks when I first thought about Harden leaving. They can put together a nice trade package built around Maxey & T Harris. Or they can wait a year, let T Harris' contract expire and have boatloads of capspace and acquire a star that way. So they have 2 different methods of rebuilding back into title contention within 12 months if Harden does indeed leave.

So not that bad of a situation for Philly.

As for a Maxey trade package, I'd do that deal for Lillard but I wouldn't give him up for Beal. I don't think Beal can command a young player as good as Maxey. If Beal was earning $25-30mil, sure, but at $45-50mil, nope. Not with his injury history and age on top of that huge payday. I wouldn't do that deal if I were Philly.

I don't think Philly even gets any better in the short term with Beal instead of T Harris and Maxey. Best case they stay even. More probable they take a step backwards. Long term they definitely take a step backwards from the losing cost controlled and still improving Maxey & the financial flexability to add a 3rd star alongside Maxey & Embiid.

I would do it for Lillard though. Lillard is a much better player than Beal.