Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 286004 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #1365 on: January 20, 2023, 08:00:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm happy for Ben Simmons getting to leave the game, but Ben Simmons got tossed with 2 technical fouls for whispering with the ref in protest of a call...looked like the equivalent to Tim Duncan getting tossed for laughing on the bench.

But when Draymond Green yells and berate the ref he still in the game and no T wtheck man.

The NBA has just thrown up its hands with Green.  If the refs called an even whistle, he'd get two techs per game, easy.  That's what they should do, but "it's a business", and the league thrives on villains.  So, he gets away with it, costing other teams in the process.

JT -- a legit superstar -- gets routinely called for techs if he physically waves after a bad call.  But Green can hit and kick and push and swear every single night, and he only gets T'd up once every 3 games.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1366 on: January 20, 2023, 08:35:34 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I'm happy for Ben Simmons getting to leave the game, but Ben Simmons got tossed with 2 technical fouls for whispering with the ref in protest of a call...looked like the equivalent to Tim Duncan getting tossed for laughing on the bench.

But when Draymond Green yells and berate the ref he still in the game and no T wtheck man.

The NBA has just thrown up its hands with Green.  If the refs called an even whistle, he'd get two techs per game, easy.  That's what they should do, but "it's a business", and the league thrives on villains.  So, he gets away with it, costing other teams in the process.

JT -- a legit superstar -- gets routinely called for techs if he physically waves after a bad call.  But Green can hit and kick and push and swear every single night, and he only gets T'd up once every 3 games.
The stuff Draymond gets away with is absurd. I try to take off my homer glasses for calls against our guys, or the lack there of for other teams superstars. I agree that the league just doesn't know how to deal with him.
#JKJB

« Reply #1367 on: January 20, 2023, 08:41:04 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

The stuff Draymond gets away with is absurd. I try to take off my homer glasses for calls against our guys, or the lack there of for other teams superstars. I agree that the league just doesn't know how to deal with him.
similar to what Detroit Bad Boys did back in the late 80's when they gooned up the game.  they basically committed so many fouls the refs got tired of blowing the whistle for fouls so Detroit got away with murder.  Green's just taking that approach to the game by daring the refs/league to call him on everything.

« Reply #1368 on: January 20, 2023, 10:42:07 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Sixers are on a roll.

Nets meanwhile are slipping. They need Durant back ASAP but even when he returns, can Simmons/Kyrie be trusted to even be available most games lol. Nets defense is also hot garbage. I know we have to be wary of superstar talent, but idk the Nets still seem off to me. Even during their win streak it just felt something would happen and I never bought into them.

It does seem like the C's, Bucks and Sixers are sort of forming that "1st tier" in the East, with the Cavs, Nets and Heat in that 2nd tier. Then everyone else below those two tiers.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1369 on: January 20, 2023, 11:11:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Sixers are on a roll.

Nets meanwhile are slipping. They need Durant back ASAP but even when he returns, can Simmons/Kyrie be trusted to even be available most games lol. Nets defense is also hot garbage. I know we have to be wary of superstar talent, but idk the Nets still seem off to me. Even during their win streak it just felt something would happen and I never bought into them.

It does seem like the C's, Bucks and Sixers are sort of forming that "1st tier" in the East, with the Cavs, Nets and Heat in that 2nd tier. Then everyone else below those two tiers.
Yeah they've gone 17-5 since Harden came back from his injury (for clarity they lost his 1st game back and he did miss a win). They are 8-2 since Maxey came back and have all 3 20 point scorers playing.  They are on a roll and with 4 legit scoring options (Embiid 33.6, Harden 21.5, Maxey 20.7, and Harris 16.3) they are hard to contain on offense.  Plus their main role players are almost all good to great 3 point shooters i.e. Niang 41.6%, Tucker 39.2%, Melton 38.9%, Milton 38.5%.  They get into those streaks where they can score at will from all levels and all spots on the floor, making them a tough out.  They aren't the best defensive team, but man I hope we don't have to play both Milwaukee and Philly in the playoffs.  We need that 1 seed badly so those 2 teams match-up as the 2 and 3.  Plus, it looks like Miami is probably going to be in the 6 or 7 spot and I wouldn't want to play them in the 1st round.  1 seed is super critical even if that means potentially Durant in round 2.  That is a much better option. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1370 on: January 20, 2023, 11:12:34 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Sixers are on a roll.

I’m not sure the Sixers are on that big of a roll.  They’ve won a couple 1-point games and an overtime game in this stretch and haven’t played the stiffest competition.  They’ve blown out the Pistons a couple of times, but also suffered 14 and 19-point home losses against Chicago and OKC, so even in their best stretch of the season they’re still pretty inconsistent, and skating by going 3-0 in coin flip games.  They’ve gone 8-2 in their last 10, but it didn’t look like it was a sustainable 8-2.  I wouldn’t be that surprised to see them go 5-5 in their next 10.

« Reply #1371 on: January 20, 2023, 11:42:10 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Ben Simmons looked awfully happy when he was ejected last
Night because he got to play call of duty a little earlier.

« Reply #1372 on: January 20, 2023, 11:44:55 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Only time he'll ever shoot well

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1373 on: January 20, 2023, 11:49:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Sixers are on a roll.

I’m not sure the Sixers are on that big of a roll.  They’ve won a couple 1-point games and an overtime game in this stretch and haven’t played the stiffest competition.  They’ve blown out the Pistons a couple of times, but also suffered 14 and 19-point home losses against Chicago and OKC, so even in their best stretch of the season they’re still pretty inconsistent, and skating by going 3-0 in coin flip games.  They’ve gone 8-2 in their last 10, but it didn’t look like it was a sustainable 8-2.  I wouldn’t be that surprised to see them go 5-5 in their next 10.
have you looked at their schedule?  If they don't go at least 7-3 then I'd agree they may have issues, but they have 3 20 point scorers, lots of good shooters.  They aren't a great defensive team, but when they are healthy offensively they might be the best team in the sport.

« Reply #1374 on: January 20, 2023, 11:58:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Shams Charania: The Milwaukee Bucks and center Serge Ibaka have mutually agreed to find the 14-year NBA veteran a new home via trade as he remains away from the team, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. – via Twitter ShamsCharania

Is that new home the waiver wire?  (Or, more realistically, a salary dump like we did with Vonleh.)

Ibaka is healthy, and is upset that he's not playing.  I don't think we'd have the minutes to keep him happy, but if he bought in he'd help for depth.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1375 on: January 20, 2023, 12:06:11 PM »

Online Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Funny I turned on the game just in time to see this. And I kind of had the same thought. He didn't seem too upset at getting tossed, lol.

« Reply #1376 on: January 20, 2023, 12:08:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Shams Charania: The Milwaukee Bucks and center Serge Ibaka have mutually agreed to find the 14-year NBA veteran a new home via trade as he remains away from the team, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. – via Twitter ShamsCharania

Is that new home the waiver wire?  (Or, more realistically, a salary dump like we did with Vonleh.)

Ibaka is healthy, and is upset that he's not playing.  I don't think we'd have the minutes to keep him happy, but if he bought in he'd help for depth.
I mean I'd probably take him into the TPE that expires today.  He is making the vet minimum so not much cost and he could always be traded again if it doesn't work out.

« Reply #1377 on: January 20, 2023, 12:21:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I mean I'd probably take him into the TPE that expires today.  He is making the vet minimum so not much cost and he could always be traded again if it doesn't work out.

I'm not sure that he could be traded again, because I think there's a 90-day moratorium on trading a non-rookie player once you sign him.  And, if he's on a vet minimum, we wouldn't have to use a TPE, because teams can trade for minimum contracts without matching salary.  I assume that if a team wanted him, the Bucks would give him up for essentially free, or pay money to dump him.

If he didn't stick around, we'd have to pay tax on a full-season vet minimum deal, rather than just a subsidized version if we signed him after a buyout.  That's the downside risk.

« Reply #1378 on: January 20, 2023, 12:34:19 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

On the Nets, it's interesting taking a deeper look.  18-2 since Nov 27th before Durant got hurt.  That's impressive.  But then you look at who they beat:

Blazers - missing Lillard
Magic - 2nd night of back to back, 3rd game in 4 nights
Wizards - 3rd game in 4 nights
Raptors
Hornets - missing Ball, Hayward
Hawks - missing Murray, Hunter, Collins
Indiana - 2nd night of back to back, 3rd game in 4 nights
Wizards - missing Beal, 3rd game in 4 nights
Raptors - missing Anunoby, Trent
Pistons - missing Cunningham
Warriors - missing Curry, Thompson, Wiggins, 2nd night of back to back, 3rd game in 4 nights
Bucks
Cavs
Hawks - missing Young, Hunter, 2nd night of back to back
Hornets
Spurs
Pelicans - missing Zion, Ingram
Miami

With losses to Boston, Chicago.

The schedule is the schedule, and every team benefits from catching tired and/or injured teams (the C's also beat a Zion-less Pelicans 2x, a Durant-less Nets, etc.), and also play their own share of back-to-backs, 3-in-4-nights. (Nets had 2 sets of their own back-to-backs/3-in-4 during their hot stretch).

Not saying their 18-2 stretch isn't impressive.  It's impressive no matter what. It's just not as impressive as it first appears. I can certainly buy into the idea the Nets weren't as good as they appeared.  They caught a lot of injured/tired teams.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #1379 on: January 20, 2023, 01:27:07 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

He’s on a minimum salary deal.  No TPEs are required for such players — they can just be acquired by the minimum salary exception.