Author Topic: Waived Players?  (Read 5325 times)

Re: Waived Players?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2022, 11:01:17 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983
Favors looks interesting. I’d keep Hauser though over any of those other guys. Hauser’s role is to be a deadeye three point threat. We’ve seen how he excelled in that role during the pre season games. Dozier over Justin Jackson would be nice also.

Is Dozier healthy?

According to Woj he is.

Dozier (knee) has been cleared to resume all basketball activities and will be available for the start of preseason training camp, Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN reports.

Cleared for activities doesn’t necessarily mean able to play in a game, as he got 0 minutes in 5 preseason games for the Wolves.

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2022, 11:15:19 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Favors looks interesting. I’d keep Hauser though over any of those other guys. Hauser’s role is to be a deadeye three point threat. We’ve seen how he excelled in that role during the pre season games. Dozier over Justin Jackson would be nice also.

Is Dozier healthy?

According to Woj he is.

Dozier (knee) has been cleared to resume all basketball activities and will be available for the start of preseason training camp, Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN reports.

Cleared for activities doesn’t necessarily mean able to play in a game, as he got 0 minutes in 5 preseason games for the Wolves.

This is from 10/15/22

While Dozier was given a clean bill of health in mid-June after dealing with a knee issue late last season, he didn't partake in the preseason. Dozier's status for the opener next Wednesday versus the Thunder remains unclear but should come into focus leading up to the tip.

Assuming a “clean bill of health” means he can play in a game if they wanted him to.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2022, 11:19:53 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983

Is Dozier healthy?

According to Woj he is.

This is from 10/15/22

While Dozier was given a clean bill of health in mid-June after dealing with a knee issue late last season, he didn't partake in the preseason. Dozier's status for the opener next Wednesday versus the Thunder remains unclear but should come into focus leading up to the tip.

Assuming a “clean bill of health” means he can play in a game if they wanted him to.

That’s a pretty aggressive assumption for a player who’s under 11 months removed from an ACL injury. 

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2022, 11:21:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Is Dozier healthy?

According to Woj he is.

This is from 10/15/22

That’s a pretty aggressive assumption for a player who’s under 11 months removed from an ACL injury.
The norm for ACL recovery seems to have become 12 months. It was 9 months for a while there, but the incidences of reinjury are less frequent now that best practice has improved.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2022, 08:34:16 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
The discussion around these waived players is that we would sign them to min contracts or possibly to the DPE slot created from Gallinari if they go that route (would be a little more than the straight Vet min).  This means someone currently on the roster gets cut.  That isn't going to be Hauser.  He is guaranteed for two seasons with a club option after that.  They would cut Jackson, Kornet, or Vonleh (in that order in my opinion).  Those are all largely non-guaranteed contracts.  The Celtics clearly think Hauser is better than Jackson.  They gave Hauser a real contract.

The thing with these waived players is that they are UFAs.  That is obvious but the point is they can go where ever they want, and that may not be to the Celtics.  Pretty much any offer from any team is going to be a min Vet deal.  There is not much a team can do to "get" these players.  Favors for example is certainly going to be of interest to the Celtics but does he have any interest in us?

I may not be completely up to date on all the buy outs but Favors and Harkless are the two that seem to make sense.  Favors is fairly obvious.  I am not as high on Favors as most but he would be a more established and reliable option over Kornet.  I don't think he is better than Grant and may not be better than Blake Griffin, but should be able to help.  And Harkless to me is better than Jackson.  I have not seen much of Harkless lately but I believe he is still a very solid SF/wing defender.   I see him as a nice complement to Hauser.  It will come down to whether a player wants a shot at a title or a shot at more playing time.

The Celtics do have one wrinkle in that Favors could begin the season as a starter.  That may be a great opportunity for Favors to showcase the skills he probably believes he still has.  The depth chart gets crowded once RWill is back though.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 11:26:57 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2022, 12:13:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
The discussion around these waived players is that we would sign them to min contracts or possibly to the DPE slot created from Gallinari if they go that route (would be a little more than the straight Vet min).  This means someone currently on the roster gets cut.  That isn't going to be Hauser.  He is guaranteed for two seasons with a club option after that.  They would cut Jackson, Kornet, or Vonleh (in that order in my opinion).  Those are all largely non-guaranteed contracts.  The Celtics clearly think Hauser is better than Jackson.  They gave Hauser a real contract.

The thing with these waived players is that they are UFAs.  That is obvious but the point is they can go where ever they want, and that may not be to the Celtics.  Pretty much any offer from any team is going to be a min Vet deal.  There is not much a team can do to "get" these players.  Favors for example is certainly going to be of interest to the Celtics but does he have any interest in us?

I may not be completely up to date on all the buy outs but Favors and Harkless are the two that seem to make sense.  Favors is fairly obvious.  I am not as high on Favors as most but he would be a more established and reliable option over Kornet.  I don't think he is better than Grant and may not be better than Blake Griffin, but should be able to help.  And Harkless to me is better than Jackson.  I have not seen much of Harkless lately but I believe he is still a very solid SF/wing defender.   I see him as a nice complement to Hauser.  It will come down to whether a player wants a shot at a title or a shot at more playing time.

The Celtics do have one wrinkle in that Favors could begin the season as a starter.  That may be a great opportunity for Favors to showcase the skills he probably believes he still has.  The depth chart gets crowded once RWill is back though.

I just think it’s a really bad idea to have 6 project players (Kornet, Hauser, Vonleh, Jackson, Davison, Kabengele) on the roster considering how often guys are getting injured. Plus, they still have to deal with Covid protocol. I also don’t expect much production out of Blake, especially at the 5. He’s really only useful at the 4, which is the position that Grant is best suited. Adding a couple of guys that have already proven that they can play in the league would be ideal.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2022, 12:37:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I just think it’s a really bad idea to have 6 project players (Kornet, Hauser, Vonleh, Jackson, Davison, Kabengele) on the roster considering how often guys are getting injured. Plus, they still have to deal with Covid protocol. I also don’t expect much production out of Blake, especially at the 5. He’s really only useful at the 4, which is the position that Grant is best suited. Adding a couple of guys that have already proven that they can play in the league would be ideal.
Not sure why you are including two-way players as "on the roster" as by their very definition, they aren't part of the 17 man roster and are in slots that have limited play options and are specifically designated for developmental players.

Also, are Vonleh, Jackson and Kornet really project players at 27 years old or just developed players that simply aren't good enough to be rotation players? Bad players like them litter spots #13-#15 on rosters all over the NBA.

Hauser, yeah he is a project player.

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2022, 01:50:24 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Yeah, you are conflating things to include 2-way players.  The only reason they are going to likely be part of opening night roster is because we have injuries to RWill and Gallinari.  Kornet, Hauser, Vonleh, and Jackson for now, are part of the regular roster.  2-ways are really just G-Leaguers who can be promoted.  You want them to be Project or developmental players.  That is the whole point.  And you hope that the team is not so short-handed that they actually have to play.

I would not call Kornet or Jackson project players.  I don't think there is much expectation for them other than keeping a seat warm until a better option becomes available.  Kornet is actually pretty useful as a 14th or 15th man on the roster.  You don't expect he will be asked to play much but if it gets to the point where we need to play Kornet, we have a lot of issues.  I think I said that Favors would be preferred but it is hard to say he even is interested in playing for the Celtics.  Kornet is thrilled to have that role.  Jackson is just a scrap heap guy.  I don't think anyone expects him to suddenly turn his career around and become a rotation NBA player.  He is just the best available to keep the seat warm.

Hauser and Vonleh in my mind are a notch above Kornet and Jackson.  It is clear the Celtics view Hauser this way based on the contract they gave him.  Vonleh is still TBD to some extent.  More of a reclamation project but still a project I guess.  But I think there are now expectations for him to actually be a useful rotation player (unlike Kornet and Jackson).  In my mind at least, Vonleh is here to do more than just keep a seat warm.

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2022, 02:19:51 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Not sure why you are including two-way players as "on the roster" as by their very definition, they aren't part of the 17 man roster and are in slots that have limited play options and are specifically designated for developmental players.

Also, are Vonleh, Jackson and Kornet really project players at 27 years old or just developed players that simply aren't good enough to be rotation players? Bad players like them litter spots #13-#15 on rosters all over the NBA.

G-league caliber players or whatever you want to call them. Two way spots aside, that’s still too many unproven guys that the C’s are going to have to rely on during the season. Depth is important, look at other contending teams depth charts compared to Boston’s. Rotation players will miss time due to injury or Covid protocols and these backups are just not good enough.

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2022, 02:50:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

G-league caliber players or whatever you want to call them. Two way spots aside, that’s still too many unproven guys that the C’s are going to have to rely on during the season. Depth is important, look at other contending teams depth charts compared to Boston’s. Rotation players will miss time due to injury or Covid protocols and these backups are just not good enough.
You really need to peruse the end of the rosters of the good teams in this league. With the exception of the Clippers and maybe Philly, the last three spots of most other good teams are made up of the same quality of players that Boston has.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 03:27:38 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2022, 03:14:25 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
The Bottom of our roster includes:

15.   Jackson
14.   Kornet
13.   Vonleh
12.   Hauser
11.   Pritchard

Jackson and Kornet are pretty much fringe NBA players but you don't expect much more from slots 14 and 15.  If those 2 were replaced with say Favors and Harkless, that would be awesome, but does this really move the needle?  We would be better in the case where the team is gutted by COVID or something but these guys are not even going to play unless there is some sort of roster emergency.  If it is that bad where we have to play these guys, slightly better players are not going to make all that much difference.  Favors could make a difference I guess, I am all for trying to get him.  Not seeing any other waived players that I would expect to really make much difference.   I am all for getting Harkless and cutting Jackson too, I just don't see it as dire or as making all that much difference (or that we are all that much different than nearly every other team).

Hauser and Vonleh are a bit harder to gauge.  They gave Hauser a real multiyear contract.  It is a risk as he is not really established as an NBA player.  Should be a useful player though.  We'll see.  Kind of the same with Vonleh.  I think he is going to prove useful.  Pritchard is great for a 3rd stringer.  I feel Hauser, Vonleh, and Pritchard can hold their own if needed.

Our roster looks a lot worse than it really is because we have 2 of our top 4 bigs injured and replaced by 2-way players.   And if we have more injuries or even short term illnesses, the roster is going to look even worse.  Yes, Favors would help but he is only going to come here if he wants to come here.  Hope we can add still.  Not the end of the world if we don't right now.

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2022, 03:32:50 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

You really need to peruse the end of the rosters of the good teams in this league. With the exception of the Clippers and maybe Philly, the last three spots of most other good teams are made up of the same quality of players that Boston has.

I should? Here’s likely playoff teams with better depth than Boston in the East alone:

Bucks
76ers
Nets
Bulls
Raptors
Cavs
Hawks

I’m not going to list the western conference teams, but I believe the two deepest teams in the league are the Warriors and Clippers.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 03:57:01 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2022, 03:59:00 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I should? Here’s the likely playoff teams with better depth than Boston in the East alone:

Bucks
76ers
Nets
Bulls
Raptors
Cavs
Hawks

I’m not going to list the western conference teams, but I believe the two deepest teams in the league are the Warriors and Clippers.

The bottom 3 on the Bucks from what I can tell are (just for example, I am not going to go through all the teams):

Sandro Mamukelashvili
Jordon Nwora
Jevon Carter

And you are really worrying about whether those 3 are better than Kornet, Jackson, and Vonleh?  I will be honest that I don't even know how to rank these players but the point is that none of them are expected to do much of anything. 

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2022, 04:02:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I should? Here’s the likely playoff teams with better depth in the East alone:

Bucks
76ers
Nets
Bulls
Raptors
Cavs
Hawks

Don't move the goalposts. I never said better depth or bench depth, if that's what you mean. I am talking players at spots #13, #14 and #15 on the roster.

I stand by my statement that Vonleh, Kornet and Jackson aren't all that much better or worse than most other teams players at that end of their roster. You might like other teams future potential in players in those roster spots, but as players? Nah, There's no real significant differences except for a few teams.

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2022, 04:14:39 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I should? Here’s the likely playoff teams with better depth than Boston in the East alone:

Bucks
76ers
Nets
Bulls
Raptors
Cavs
Hawks

The bottom 3 on the Bucks from what I can tell are (just for example, I am not going to go through all the teams):

Sandro Mamukelashvili
Jordon Nwora
Jevon Carter

And you are really worrying about whether those 3 are better than Kornet, Jackson, and Vonleh?  I will be honest that I don't even know how to rank these players but the point is that none of them are expected to do much of anything.

Joe Ingles, Wesley Mathews, Jevon Carter, Jordan Nwora, Sandro Mamukelashvili is superior to Griffin, Hauser, Jackson, Kornet, Vonleh.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 04:20:57 PM by Goldstar88 »