Author Topic: Pickle ball is just dumb.  (Read 72082 times)

Re: Pickle ball is just dumb.
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2022, 04:42:25 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Have a friend in Florida who plays all the time and loves it.  I still haven’t ever seen it played so not sure I’ve got it pictured exactly right.  Unfortunately I’ve got this chronic strain in at the top of my thigh that tweaks with any quick awkward movements (like when I sneeze lol). Also hurts when lifting my knee up - like to put on socks. No pain walking but can’t really run as my knee lifts past a jog. So… no pickle ball happening in my future. Actually now that I think of it, only walking and an occasional (and remarkably incompetent) game of golf for me.

I honestly think Golf might be more strenuous. Haha. This is what it looks like: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLWj2LXecHU
when a bunch of non-pros play.

this is a recent men's double championship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFYyij4ykTI

or the US national championships

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCIOb7v_4-A (check out the rally starting at around 12:10 in the women's doubles final)

Much different looking than the video you posted.

People watch tennis, I'd rather watch top level pickleball than tennis.  A lot more action.

Yes, I was taking about my personal experience playing, him a friend in Florida. Not professionals, just regular people. I’d much rather watch a Nadal vs Djokovic tennis match than pickleball final, but that’s just me.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2022, 05:03:24 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Have a friend in Florida who plays all the time and loves it.  I still haven’t ever seen it played so not sure I’ve got it pictured exactly right.  Unfortunately I’ve got this chronic strain in at the top of my thigh that tweaks with any quick awkward movements (like when I sneeze lol). Also hurts when lifting my knee up - like to put on socks. No pain walking but can’t really run as my knee lifts past a jog. So… no pickle ball happening in my future. Actually now that I think of it, only walking and an occasional (and remarkably incompetent) game of golf for me.

I honestly think Golf might be more strenuous. Haha. This is what it looks like: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLWj2LXecHU

Yeah looks low key but even the need for a few quick steps or awkward body movements would tweak me.  It's too bad because of it wasn’t for that muscle in my thigh I’d be able to do a number of sports.

Should try a compression legging, something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Copper-Compression-Leg-Sleeve-for-Men-and-Women/756965266

I have a grade 2 high and lateral ankle sprain from playing tennis a few months back, so I can relate. It’s taking forever to heal and I hate having to be so careful with it. Bought two ASO braces for if/when I can play again…  :P
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 05:13:39 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2022, 07:15:04 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Yeah looks low key but even the need for a few quick steps or awkward body movements would tweak me.  It's too bad because of it wasn’t for that muscle in my thigh I’d be able to do a number of sports.

Should try a compression legging, something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Copper-Compression-Leg-Sleeve-for-Men-and-Women/756965266

I have a grade 2 high and lateral ankle sprain from playing tennis a few months back, so I can relate. It’s taking forever to heal and I hate having to be so careful with it. Bought two ASO braces for if/when I can play again…  :P

Thanks. But it’s much higher. Parallel with hip joint above thigh. Been years. Been to PT, orthopedist, rehab Dr (physiatrist).  Nothing. Gave up.  Walking is pain free, so that’s what I do.

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2022, 08:24:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Pickle Ball is a lot of fun and you don’t need to be very athletic to play. Good exercise, too. What I don’t understand is why athletes from other sports are investing in professional leagues. I can’t see that being popular to watch, ever.

Liam, did you try playing or were you watching on TV?

Watching a sports story... I have friends in Austin that are hugely into it.

Yeah, it’s terrible to watch. I’m not sure I’d consider it a sport. More of a fun activity.

The refs are better than NBA refs!  8)

Like …uh….how hard is that  :D

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2022, 10:24:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Pickle Ball is a lot of fun and you don’t need to be very athletic to play. Good exercise, too. What I don’t understand is why athletes from other sports are investing in professional leagues. I can’t see that being popular to watch, ever.

Liam, did you try playing or were you watching on TV?

Watching a sports story... I have friends in Austin that are hugely into it.

Yeah, it’s terrible to watch. I’m not sure I’d consider it a sport. More of a fun activity.

The refs are better than NBA refs!  8)

Like …uh….how hard is that  :D

Not very...

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2022, 12:39:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kevin Durant is picking up the pickleball craze. The Nets star and Rich Kleiman, his business partner, have purchased an expansion team in Major League Pickleball. 35V, their investment company, will also serve as strategic partners for the league, while running their team. “35V is committed to investing in the future of sports and emerging opportunities, and Major League Pickleball is a league we are incredibly excited about,” Kleiman said in a statement. “We can’t wait to build this team from the ground up as well as work to elevate the sport and the league to unprecedented heights. As an avid pickleball player and fan, the interest in the sport was a natural fit.”

How much do these teams cost?  Like $15k? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2022, 02:19:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
i've never played pickle ball, but I'm happy lots of people play it and enjoy it. I just don't think I'd ever tune in to a pickle ball game on TV.

Here in NYC I started noticing it getting popular with retiree-age people a year ago. They'd be at a nearby park with it all set up (temporarily) for pickleball, early in the morning. More and more, though, I'm seeing young and "serious" people playing it at the same park, and not just early in the morning. As someone who lives in NYC, I can appreciate a sport that doesn't take up  much space....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2022, 03:09:27 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Pickleball as a sport is really fun and it's a great way to stay active whether you are young or old. It's an easy sport to pick-up, not a lot of pressure on your joints, incorporates cardio and it can be competitive. However, to watch others play the game I can't see how that is fun.

I can see if they were to run some kind of celebrity pickleball team where artists play and provide entertainment throughout the game. I can see people paying to see that otherwise I don't know. I think it's safe to say the investment is not that big so it it's probably a low cost, good reward to be attached to this program.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2022, 04:05:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Kevin Durant is picking up the pickleball craze. The Nets star and Rich Kleiman, his business partner, have purchased an expansion team in Major League Pickleball. 35V, their investment company, will also serve as strategic partners for the league, while running their team. “35V is committed to investing in the future of sports and emerging opportunities, and Major League Pickleball is a league we are incredibly excited about,” Kleiman said in a statement. “We can’t wait to build this team from the ground up as well as work to elevate the sport and the league to unprecedented heights. As an avid pickleball player and fan, the interest in the sport was a natural fit.”

How much do these teams cost?  Like $15k?

Are we going to go in and buy one?

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2022, 06:58:48 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Is this more or less weird than Wilt Chamberlain’s volleyball interest/career?
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2023, 11:48:05 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
According to Nielsen live-plus-same-day data, the matchup of four grizzled tennis greats made short work of much of last week’s TV sports lineup, topping no fewer than 79 broadcast and cable telecasts among members of the adults 18-49 demo. Featuring a pair of singles matches and a doubles showdown pitting Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick against John McEnroe and Michael Chang, ESPN’s coverage of the Pickleball Slam averaged 237,000 adults under 50, tying TNT’s Bruins-Blues game as Sunday’s fifth highest-rated sporting event.

Thirty-five percent of the Slam audience fell in with the 18-49 set, which is a favorable ratio for a Sunday afternoon in early April. By comparison, only 15% of the people who watch broadcast TV in primetime are part of the target demo.

The Slam also tied the aforementioned Bruins-Blues telecast for fifth place among adults 25-54, drawing just shy of 280,000 viewers in that demo.

When viewed within the context of the entire programming week (March 27-April 2), the Slam out-delivered 13 nationally televised MLB games, seven NBA matchups and five NHL games. The exhibition also beat out a mixed bag of international soccer matches, including airings from the Premier League, Liga MX, Bundesliga and MLS, while running roughshod over the week’s selection of XFL games.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2023, 12:23:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
According to Nielsen live-plus-same-day data, the matchup of four grizzled tennis greats made short work of much of last week’s TV sports lineup, topping no fewer than 79 broadcast and cable telecasts among members of the adults 18-49 demo. Featuring a pair of singles matches and a doubles showdown pitting Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick against John McEnroe and Michael Chang, ESPN’s coverage of the Pickleball Slam averaged 237,000 adults under 50, tying TNT’s Bruins-Blues game as Sunday’s fifth highest-rated sporting event.

Thirty-five percent of the Slam audience fell in with the 18-49 set, which is a favorable ratio for a Sunday afternoon in early April. By comparison, only 15% of the people who watch broadcast TV in primetime are part of the target demo.

The Slam also tied the aforementioned Bruins-Blues telecast for fifth place among adults 25-54, drawing just shy of 280,000 viewers in that demo.

When viewed within the context of the entire programming week (March 27-April 2), the Slam out-delivered 13 nationally televised MLB games, seven NBA matchups and five NHL games. The exhibition also beat out a mixed bag of international soccer matches, including airings from the Premier League, Liga MX, Bundesliga and MLS, while running roughshod over the week’s selection of XFL games.
I always do   8)

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2023, 03:29:23 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

That’s really surprising. Fun activity, but terrible to watch. Regardless of who is playing. I don’t understand why people would prefer watching pickleball over tennis, which actually requires athleticism. 

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2023, 04:28:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I'm going to watch Pickel ball right after the marbles championships and before the paper clip fight.

;D

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2023, 04:32:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I always do   8)

That's why they call you "the king"  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller