Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 107398 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #1275 on: January 12, 2023, 09:12:57 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
WOW this feels like huge news. I don't see NFL teams typically announcing stuff like this directly, let alone the Pats. But looks like Mayo will be extended here, and we'll look for an OC (meaning Patricia is out of that role)

https://twitter.com/Patriots/status/1613696202234544130

Think Mayo will not be DC. He’ll get a more substantial promotion like assistant head coach. Might be Steve Belichick gets the DC role.

But either way, no Patricia. Sounds like OC will be external guy the way they worded it. So, good news all around.

Is it a declaration of (commitment to) Mayo as heir apparent?   

« Reply #1276 on: January 13, 2023, 01:23:03 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Despite Bill’s success, I can’t fathom why he ever thought it a good idea to put two defense/ST guys in charge of the offense. Just asinine. Basically wasted an entire season and set back Jones by a whole year.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1277 on: January 13, 2023, 03:17:37 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
The Patriots firing Matt Patricia may have been the biggest W this season.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1278 on: January 13, 2023, 07:39:52 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I saw a rumor that the Dolphins want in on Payton. I would kick the tires of that if the long shot rumor is true.
#JKJB

« Reply #1279 on: January 13, 2023, 08:51:01 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Lots of drama playing out.  I don't see it as big news that the Pats want to keep Mayo or that they are looking at offensive coordinator/sideline play caller options.  Neither is terribly surprising to me.  I don't understand what the big deal is.  This is news (good news in my book) but is this really "big" news?

I heard some talk criticizing Belichick for generally liking to bring in assistant coaches that know the Patriots way, know his way, perhaps were with Belichick in the past.  Again, I don't find that surprising, at least from a historical perspective.  They had a 20 year run with that system.  Why would any coach want to bring in assistants that wanted to do it differently.

Times have changed the last couple of seasons.  McDaniels is gone (although he was by no means the only successful OC during the Patriot's run).  Brady isn't here to be the foundation of the execution of the system on the field.  They are in the process of evolving or modernizing the offensive "system" (at least per reports).  Patricia didn't get it done so now they are looking at options.

To me, the ideal addition would be someone that understands and fits in with the overall Patriots/Belichick way but that also does bring in some fresh ideas.  But most importantly, knows how to work with an offense to get a system implemented.  Patricia knew the Patriots way but turned out to not be good enough at teaching and getting the offense ready to execute the scheme.  I think they can solve this easy enough but if they don't fix the OL, it won't matter who the OC is.

« Reply #1280 on: January 13, 2023, 08:57:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Mayo was a hot candidate for DC jobs.  The Browns, for example, had him high on their list.  The Patriots are doing this both to keep Mayo and to put all those rumors about him leaving to bed.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1281 on: January 13, 2023, 09:13:37 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The Patriots firing Matt Patricia may have been the biggest W this season.

It's my Super Bowl!

:laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1282 on: January 13, 2023, 09:24:00 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I'm not seeing the big deal with this announcement.

Until I hear Steve Belichick is interviewing elsewhere, I have no reason to believe Jerod Mayo is simply going to be named the defensive coordinator. There is a report that Mayo may still be interviewing for the head coaching position with Carolina.

The Pat's may be starting a search for an offensive coordinator, but that doesn't mean Matt Patricia is being fired. Bill may still be keeping him in some other capacity, or even keeping him as the offensive line coach.

« Reply #1283 on: January 13, 2023, 10:16:20 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Until I hear Steve Belichick is interviewing elsewhere, I have no reason to believe Jerod Mayo is simply going to be named the defensive coordinator. There is a report that Mayo may still be interviewing for the head coaching position with Carolina.

The Pat's may be starting a search for an offensive coordinator, but that doesn't mean Matt Patricia is being fired. Bill may still be keeping him in some other capacity, or even keeping him as the offensive line coach.

Completely fair, but I don't think the Pats would release an official statement like this unless they knew for a fact Mayo would be staying. Also, the language in the statement basically says, "we'll be interviewing offensive coordinator candidates". Key words, offensive coordinator.

I don't think Patricia and Judge will be fired, but if Patricia gets moved to defense (or a front office advisory role again) and Judge gets moved to Special Teams, maybe with Achord as an assistant behind him, I think it can work.

I'm sure the new OC who gets hired may also bring 1-2 guys of his own too (assistants)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1284 on: January 13, 2023, 10:22:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Completely fair, but I don't think the Pats would release an official statement like this unless they knew for a fact Mayo would be staying. Also, the language in the statement basically says, "we'll be interviewing offensive coordinator candidates". Key words, offensive coordinator.

I don't think Patricia and Judge will be fired, but if Patricia gets moved to defense (or a front office advisory role again) and Judge gets moved to Special Teams, maybe with Achord as an assistant behind him, I think it can work.

I'm sure the new OC who gets hired may also bring 1-2 guys of his own too (assistants)
They need to promote him up so other teams can't interview him for DC positions.  Head coach interviews can't be stopped, but a team can stop a guy from interviewing for a lateral or lesser position.  So he has to be a DC or Associate Head Coach to stop teams from interviewing him for DC positions.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1285 on: January 13, 2023, 10:55:48 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Despite Bill’s success, I can’t fathom why he ever thought it a good idea to put two defense/ST guys in charge of the offense. Just asinine. Basically wasted an entire season and set back Jones by a whole year.

Pure arrogance. Thinks he can still win simply by having a good defense and running game. Also, one of the rumored options for the OC role is their current TE coach, Nick Caley. Many thought last summer that he would take over the play calling once McDaniels left. Could have given him a chance this season instead of bringing in two failed coaches who are not offensive minded. Seemed like everyone knew it was going to be a disaster with Judge and Patricia from the beginning, but it didn’t matter to Bill.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1286 on: January 24, 2023, 08:31:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bill O'Brien will return to the Patriots after agreeing to a deal Tuesday to become New England's next offensive coordinator, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Low.

O'Brien, 53, who spent the past two seasons as the offensive coordinator under Nick Saban at Alabama, now is back to where his NFL career began in 2007 as a coaching assistant.

In that first stint in New England, O'Brien quickly rose through the ranks on Bill Belichick's coaching staff to quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator, spending three years (2009-11) in that role before departing for head-coaching positions at Penn State (2012-13) and with the Houston Texans (2014-20).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1287 on: January 24, 2023, 08:56:18 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bill O'Brien will return to the Patriots after agreeing to a deal Tuesday to become New England's next offensive coordinator, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Low.

O'Brien, 53, who spent the past two seasons as the offensive coordinator under Nick Saban at Alabama, now is back to where his NFL career began in 2007 as a coaching assistant.

In that first stint in New England, O'Brien quickly rose through the ranks on Bill Belichick's coaching staff to quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator, spending three years (2009-11) in that role before departing for head-coaching positions at Penn State (2012-13) and with the Houston Texans (2014-20).

Just about any human being would be an upgrade on Patricia. O'Brien has definitely had some success at OC at the pro level.  Good hire.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1288 on: January 24, 2023, 09:40:56 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

That is great news.  Glad it is settled and not being dragged out.  It checks all the boxes, has the offensive resume, part of the Patriots family, enough of a "name" to be well received by players (at least I would think).  This should be everything everyone wants, players, fans, Belichick, owners.

In my mind, the main issue is still the OL.  A new offensive scheme is not going to help without some improvement in the OL.  These aren't unrelated though.  I suspect that O'Brien will focus on the QB and receivers in terms of execution but he may also impact the OL directly and indirectly.  I can't see him coaching the OL but things are related.

« Reply #1289 on: January 24, 2023, 10:35:16 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Patriot fans are happy and Bama fans are happy.