Author Topic: TopShot Celtics Watch Party for Game 4  (Read 2817 times)

TopShot Celtics Watch Party for Game 4
« on: June 07, 2022, 09:59:14 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Any of you guys do NBA TopShot?  I got really into it and its pretty cool.  Brings me back to my baseball card collecting days as a kid.

They are sponsoring/hosting a watch party for Game 4 of the Finals at Rock Bottom in Boston with free food and drinks for anyone who has collected a full series of Celtics moments.  You've gotta RSVP through a link in a discord group.  Wanted to make sure if any topshot collectors are in here, they know about this event.  Should be pretty cool!
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: TopShot Celtics Watch Party for Game 4
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 06:56:25 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
I'd love it if someone could explain NFT's to me. I don't get it. I pay for a digital "baseball card", then sell it? Why do I want to buy it when I can look it up on Youtube?

I thought we were moving away from buying CD's, then buying MP3's, now streaming. This seems like we're going back in time.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 11:31:51 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think you're probably asking for someone to explain the lure of NFTs.  As for NFTs in general, I cannot explain the lure of owning some pixelated image or a weird ape picture.  I can only speak to topshots which I do like.

1) Why do I want to buy it when I can look it up on youtube?

Because its a collectible.  Why do people buy baseball cards when they could just print out a picture of the player on a piece of cardboard and print out their stats on the back.  Why do people pay hundreds of dollars for a 1955 penny when it can only be used as $0.01 of currency?  The answer varies from person to person for collectible to collectible, but the general answer has to do with it just being something to collect, there being a community of people who also view it as something to collect, there being some scarcity associated with the collectible, and I think oftentimes some either utility (like magic cards) or memory-evoking ability (baseball cards, coins) of the collectible.

2) It feels like we're going back in time

I think very much the opposite.  I collected baseball cards as a kid.  If I wanted to trade baseball cards with someone (which I did as a kid), I had to bring my baseball cards with me and was limited to trading them with people I interacted with in the physical world.

As the years passed, ebay became a place people could buy/sell cards to people across the world.  You could find interested parties, send payment, and trust that the seller would pack and ship the card to send you to arrive in some # of days.

With Topshot, you have that same access to a world of collectors as ebay, but a much more streamlined marketplace and also there is no time or trust concerns.  The NFTs are all stored and collected on the blockchain and the transfer of payment and the "card" are instantly taken care of with the click of a button.

My memory isn't the best, so I really like collecting these topshot moments to help me remember some good times of being a Celtic fan.  This $2 Tacko Fall play is one of my favorites, which I can remember where I was and my reaction when watching it, which probably would fade from my mind if it wasn't for owning the topshot of it.  https://nbatopshot.com/moment/Action781+e9326376-20b0-41a8-86c8-f7e1f526deb9
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 02:31:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m not into NFTs or digital cards, but have fun at the party (and with the hobby).

I love collecting cards, autographs and memorabilia.  Some of them have gotten wildly out of hand, though. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 03:07:17 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I guess they're kind of cool. But not a lot of bang for the buck. I'd rather toss my money at an mlb.tv subscription, or buy a digital book. This feels more like a cynical marketing move that preys on collectors' impulses.

I get how it could be fun,  a bit like how gambling is fun. But it's not really something our society needs.

To each their own, though.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 05:30:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Anyone going to watching up in Portland?  I’m here for the weekend with my wife and she could care less about the Celtics!  I have the GREEN light to watch game though…
Yup