Author Topic: World Cup Draw  (Read 3639 times)

World Cup Draw
« on: April 01, 2022, 02:22:51 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
#FIFAWorldCup for 2022 draw is complete.  I think the US landing in Group B is horrible  The Euro playoff team in that group could be either Wales, Scotland, or Ukraine.  Group D and E are no picnic either though.  Initial thought, France repeats, but still time to change my mind.

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Re: World Cup Draw
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 02:33:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think the US landing in Group B is horrible  The Euro playoff team in that group could be either Wales, Scotland, or Ukraine.
Horrible as in very difficult group? or horrible as in no talent and dull group?

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 02:45:16 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
It could end up being surprisingly difficult. If it's Ukraine, there will be a lot of emotion riding with them.

Wanted Group A so bad, Qatar would've been great in the first round. Netherlands are the luckiest team of all.

Oh well, it's not supposed to be easy to win it all, otherwise everyone would. Let's go USA!

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 02:52:43 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
#FIFAWorldCup for 2022 draw is complete.  I think the US landing in Group B is horrible  The Euro playoff team in that group could be either Wales, Scotland, or Ukraine.  Group D and E are no picnic either though.  Initial thought, France repeats, but still time to change my mind.

I feel like we always get a tough draw.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 03:11:28 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think the US landing in Group B is horrible  The Euro playoff team in that group could be either Wales, Scotland, or Ukraine.
Horrible as in very difficult group? or horrible as in no talent and dull group?

Horrible as in difficult, my bad.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 05:28:26 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
As somebody that is really into World Cup (not as much into regular soccer), today's event has gotten me pretty excited. Great way to begin the weekend. A few thoughts:

Group A has a good chance of an African team coming out with Senegal in with Qatar, Netherland (lock) and Ecuador. That would be exciting.

Group B is a pretty exciting group. USA vs. England on Black Friday could break American rating records. Iran has that geopolitical spice and potentially Ukraine being in it would be fun.

Group C has Argentina (boo) playing against Mexico and Saudi Arabia again. Mexico could advance but they can't mess with Poland.

Group D's France may be the easiest group for them. Denmark and Tunisia should be easy wins for them.

Group E Spain vs. Germany will be awesome! I feel bad for Japan because they always seem to be stuck in groups where they can't get out.

Group F with Belgium, Canada, Morocco and Croatia could be a sneaky fun group. The European teams should be locks but I would like to see Morocco give them a challenge.

Group G always have Brazil playing in the later stage. As a Brazilian, the buildup always kills me. There is no legitimate threat against Brazil but there is no slouch either. Brazil will have to give effort against every opponent.

Group H could be considered the Group of Death maybe? Portugal, Uruguay, Ghana and South Korea are all teams that I wouldn't be surprised to make it to the quarter-finals. Should be great games.

Overall, I am excited. Games in November won't be as much fun but at least the hours (besides the 5am games) won't be detrimental to my well-being :)
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 09:07:05 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Horrible as in difficult, my bad.
Really? I think US has good odds at getting first in that group. That group is pretty good draw for US.

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2022, 08:09:39 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
USA vs England on Black Friday at 2pm. That should be a great game to watch it at a bar. Ratings should be off the roof.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2022, 10:34:42 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I actually think this is a good draw for the U.S. And also, lets say the U.S. and England advance from the group as expected and the U.S. happen to win the group, then they could play a favorable Group A opponent as well (not Netherlands). The path is there to make a bit of a run.

Also overall, I think this is a really balanced draw overall. I mean, I don't really see any true "Groups of Death" here. I guess cases could be made between Group E and/or Group H? But that's about it.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 11:31:34 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Also overall, I think this is a really balanced draw overall. I mean, I don't really see any true "Groups of Death" here. I guess cases could be made between Group E and/or Group H? But that's about it.
Yeah that was my reaction as well.

And I was bummed out by this. There is nothing in that group stage that really excites me. I don't think this tournament will get going until the knockout stages.

Not enough drama / fear / intensity combined with quality in those groupings. All kinda ... dull.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2022, 05:36:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Concacaf has a real shot at getting 3 teams into the playoffs.  That would be huge for North American soccer.

I don't think Canada makes it, but Mexico and the US should go through.  Costa Rica, if they win the play in, will almost certainly not advance as they'd be with Spain, Germany, and Japan.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip