Author Topic: Red Sox 2022  (Read 37886 times)

Re: Red Sox 2022
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2022, 10:57:19 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
I hope we’re not signing him as he’s beginning to decline.

Age 29, odds are against it.  24 homers and 20 stolen bases last year, not an obvious sign of decline.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2022, 11:00:10 AM »

Offline Silas

• Danny Ainge
Wohooo! Trevor Story

The Red Sox are in agreement with Trevor Story on a contract for $140MM, per Bob Nightengale of USA Today. (Twitter links) It will be a six-year deal, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. There is a “complicated opt-out,” according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network, “whereby if he opts out the Red Sox retain an option to keep him at different terms.” After four years, Story can opt out of the deal, but then Boston is allowed to negate the opt-out by picking up a seventh-year option and making it a seven-year, $160MM deal, per Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/red-sox-to-sign-trevor-story.html

Does this mean we are unlikely to re-sign Boegarts?  Or move him to another position? I read some speculation would be that he would be moved to 3rd and Devers to 1st base.  Boegarts' fielding stats at short stop are below average.  Is Story a better shortstop defensively?

I believe the plan is to play him at second and have him available for shortstop if Boegarts leaves the next year. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2022, 11:04:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Age 29, odds are against it.  24 homers and 20 stolen bases last year, not an obvious sign of decline.

.801 OPS, .329 OBP, almost 100 fewer TBs than in 2019.

And that’s playing at Coors.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2022, 11:19:35 AM »

Offline Silas

• Danny Ainge

I'm not concerned and obviously Sox management is not concerned.  Let's hope that his stats turn around for the better at Fenway and the story goes well for Boston.

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2022, 11:27:19 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
For those saying he's declining, I think he played injured last year because it was a contract year. Make of that what you will.

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2022, 11:43:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Hate to look at any singular year as proof of a permanent decline. Players could have been playing through injury for much of the year or they possibly got divorced that year or had someone really close to them die that year or had an issue in the clubhouse with other players or the coach/manager.

So many reasons for pros to have a down year including just slumping for a year or s long portion of the year.

If Story has another year or two of decline then you start to worry about a permanent decline since he should be in his prime for the next few years

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2022, 12:08:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Hate to look at any singular year as proof of a permanent decline. Players could have been playing through injury for much of the year or they possibly got divorced that year or had someone really close to them die that year or had an issue in the clubhouse with other players or the coach/manager.

So many reasons for pros to have a down year including just slumping for a year or s long portion of the year.

If Story has another year or two of decline then you start to worry about a permanent decline since he should be in his prime for the next few years

Yeah, I don’t think it’s definitely a downturn.  But, it’s something to pay attention to.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2022, 12:45:43 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Yeah, I don’t think it’s definitely a downturn.  But, it’s something to pay attention to.

For what it's worth, I read that his advanced stats last season like exit velocity and hard hit ball rate were right in line with his 2019 numbers

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2022, 01:51:18 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Wow, I can't believe that anyone would be down on this.  This is a better signing (6/$140) than Schrwarber (4/$79) or Freeman (6/$162).  Not only does he upgrade both our infield offense and our infield defense but he also provide a hedge against losing Bogaerts in the off season.

Any long term contract comes with risk but his is a 29 year old player who has been durable.

To me, this gives us the best infield in the game.  We potentially will have 4 infielders with 25+ homers.  The only argument you could make against this is that we are RH hitting heavy with Dalbec as the first baseman but there could be a platoon there.

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2022, 02:07:06 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Wow, I can't believe that anyone would be down on this.  This is a better signing (6/$140) than Schrwarber (4/$79) or Freeman (6/$162).  Not only does he upgrade both our infield offense and our infield defense but he also provide a hedge against losing Bogaerts in the off season.

Any long term contract comes with risk but his is a 29 year old player who has been durable.

To me, this gives us the best infield in the game.  We potentially will have 4 infielders with 25+ homers.  The only argument you could make against this is that we are RH hitting heavy with Dalbec as the first baseman but there could be a platoon there.

If Casas impresses in Worcester, he would be perfect platooning with Dalbec at 1st
I'm bitter.

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2022, 02:49:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
What's the latest projection on Marcelo Mayer, whom the Red Sox drafted with the 4th pick in 2021? 

How has he been doing, and when do they anticipate calling him up? And at what position? He was a short stop in HS. 

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2022, 03:09:41 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
This is exciting news! Getting a legit bat at second base is a big deal.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2022, 11:35:55 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Are there any starting pitchers left to get in Free agency?

Seems like there will be a lot of middle relief pitching this year.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2022, 06:53:51 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
What's the latest projection on Marcelo Mayer, whom the Red Sox drafted with the 4th pick in 2021? 

How has he been doing, and when do they anticipate calling him up? And at what position? He was a short stop in HS.

He is a shortstop. He’s a teenager that is years away from the bigs. You don’t worry about planning your team around highly regarded prospects in the lower minors. Same with second baseman Nick Yorke. We can cross that bridge if they are on the brink of the majors in a few years. At the very least it gives options, and they would be excellent trade pieces if need be.

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2022, 07:00:45 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Are there any starting pitchers left to get in Free agency?

Seems like there will be a lot of middle relief pitching this year.

I like the starting pitching as is now. They are going to give Houck and Whitlock shots at starting right from the jump which I’m excited about. Then you have Nathan and Pivetta 2 guys capable of going on hot streaks being ace like for a stretch. Sale then coming back injury, and Paxton due back around mid season. Wacha around Rich Hill around to eat up some innings, and few kids in triple A that could help out in a pinch if need be.

I’m a little more worried about the back end of the bullpen. I’d like 1 more piece there.