Author Topic: What about Brad?  (Read 13956 times)

Re: What about Brad?
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2022, 11:44:49 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
We will find out soon if Giannis can separate himself, but I'm not sure he can, especially against us.
Huh?

We absolutely need every guy to be healthy, but we have a dark horse shot this year.
I'm sorry, but objectively speaking this is not true.

I’m dumb, so bear with me: how should I evaluate the statement objectively to come to your conclusion?

I don't think it's fair to say we stand a shot -- any shot -- at a title this season. This isn't the NHL, or NFL.... Dark horses don't win NBA titles.

I think the Mavericks were a dark horse going into the playoffs in 2010-11 and they ended up beating the heat to win the whole thing.

2nd best record in the absolutely dominant Western Conference? A bit of a reach, and they're a historic outlier. But I take your point.

I still think it's ridiculous to claim the Cs could win a title this year. That's just homerism.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 12:00:20 PM by todd_days_41 »

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2022, 12:02:17 PM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
We will find out soon if Giannis can separate himself, but I'm not sure he can, especially against us.
Huh?

We absolutely need every guy to be healthy, but we have a dark horse shot this year.

I’m dumb, so bear with me: how should I evaluate the statement objectively to come to your conclusion?

I don't think it's fair to say we stand a shot -- any shot -- at a title this season. This isn't the NHL, or NFL.... Dark horses don't win NBA titles.

I think the Mavericks were a dark horse going into the playoffs in 2010-11 and they ended up beating the heat to win the whole thing.

2nd best record in the Western Conference? A bit of a reach, and they're a historic outlier. But fine.

I guess it just depends on when we can say “this team has a shot” at the title. Do they have to make the ECF/WCF? Make The playoffs? Have a certain record after a certain point in the regular season (the 40 wins 10 losses crew)? Have a certain pint differential? Escape season ending injuries to key players?

It doesn’t seem very objective to me.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2022, 12:18:33 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Huh?

2nd best record in the absolutely dominant Western Conference? A bit of a reach, and they're a historic outlier. But I take your point.

I still think it's ridiculous to claim the Cs could win a title this year. That's just homerism.

My point was the NBA is dramatically less stratified than it has been historically. Since Golden State broke up, there aren't any great teams. The Lakers and Nets have degraded. The Phoenix Suns are the best team in basketball right now. There just isn't a team (or teams) built around an MVP level player that just stands above everyone.

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2022, 12:49:07 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
Huh?

My point was the NBA is dramatically less stratified than it has been historically. Since Golden State broke up, there aren't any great teams. The Lakers and Nets have degraded. The Phoenix Suns are the best team in basketball right now. There just isn't a team (or teams) built around an MVP level player that just stands above everyone.

Ok, but I dunno what dynasties have to do with the Cs championship hopes (or lack thereof).

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2022, 12:49:50 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think when you give up a mid to late first rounder, say 15-25, you give up a chance to add tough, hungry young defenders with size, including upperclassmen who fit this mold (while not ignoring BPA).

If this team had 2008 James Posey as its starting PF I would say Celts are title favorites.  I agree that our moves have been too lateral to warrant to middle first round picks in consecutive years.
The draft is a nice place to look for poor man's Posey's. (Herb Jones, Draymond types, Grant Williams types, Vanderbilt types, etc etc)

However, I disagree that the C's have no shot at the title this year.  The truth is the Jays are young and haven't reached the stage yet where they don't let up against weaker teams in the regular season. The playoffs takes care of some of that issue (must win games, national audience, etc, etc..)  That means
we will see the C's at the peak of their abilities (assuming health), which is a higher level than what we've seen most of the season.  Of course, they could flop...but to say no chance at all this year I think is innacurate.

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2022, 01:04:49 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Huh?

Ok, but I dunno what dynasties have to do with the Cs championship hopes (or lack thereof).

One more try then.

The difference between a pretty good team and a champion has traditionally been large and fairly stable. Great teams were predictably dominant. Right now, the gap is much narrower. It isn't ridiculous to imagine an unexpected result. Other than Milwaukee, the MVP level candidates are on fragile teams that are not ready to dominate, and even Milwaukee is not unbeatable.

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2022, 01:41:34 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
Huh?

One more try then.

The difference between a pretty good team and a champion has traditionally been large and fairly stable. Great teams were predictably dominant. Right now, the gap is much narrower. It isn't ridiculous to imagine an unexpected result. Other than Milwaukee, the MVP level candidates are on fragile teams that are not ready to dominate, and even Milwaukee is not unbeatable.

Not sure i totally agree -- feels largely subjective -- but that's all fine and good. I still have literally no idea what this has to do with the 2021-22 Boston Celtics.

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2022, 01:57:08 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Right now, you can get +3,000 on the Celtics to win the title.  If I understand correctly, that is 30 to 1 odds, 13th best odds in the league.  This changes every day but is the ball park.  So I guess it is accurate to say they have a chance but according to Vegas, about the same chance that DEN, DAL, CHI, and CLE have.  That may be underselling them a bit, I don't know.  There are 5 EC teams ahead of them in these odds so even ECF has some odds against them.

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2022, 10:55:51 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Thanks Brad.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2022, 10:38:50 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
NBA Executive of the Year?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2022, 10:59:33 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I think so.  From making the right coaching hire, to reconstructing the team with players who let the J’s be the best versions of themselves, while also staying under the luxury tax, to the bargain extensions for Rob and Smart, and having everyone in the top 11 of the rotation under contract next year.  The Celtics had lost their way, but they have found it again.

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2022, 11:02:34 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Right now, you can get +3,000 on the Celtics to win the title.  If I understand correctly, that is 30 to 1 odds, 13th best odds in the league.  This changes every day but is the ball park.  So I guess it is accurate to say they have a chance but according to Vegas, about the same chance that DEN, DAL, CHI, and CLE have.  That may be underselling them a bit, I don't know.  There are 5 EC teams ahead of them in these odds so even ECF has some odds against them.

Those five teams having roughly the same odds makes no sense at all. Dallas and Boston are clearly well above the other three, with a shot at the title. The Denver and Cleveland have no shot, and the Bulls… I mean, they’ll be lucky to be able to buy tickets to the finals game from a scalper.

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2022, 11:03:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Who is his competition this year?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2022, 11:07:05 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Those five teams having roughly the same odds makes no sense at all. Dallas and Boston are clearly well above the other three, with a shot at the title. The Denver and Cleveland have no shot, and the Bulls… I mean, they’ll be lucky to be able to buy tickets to the finals game from a scalper.

Post was from the All-Star break.  The oddsmakers wrong then, but they don’t exist now.

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2022, 11:08:27 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Who is his competition this year?

Nico Harrison of the Mavericks has done a nice job.