Poll

Do These Ideas Make You Excited or Feel Good?

All of the Time
2 (20%)
Most of the Time
0 (0%)
Half of the Time
7 (70%)
Quarter of the Time
1 (10%)
None of the Time
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Greenly’s Trade Ideas (merged)  (Read 89795 times)

Trade Deadline Idea: Hield & Len
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2021, 03:44:38 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
BOS In: Hield, Len, SAC 2022 2nd Round Swap
SAC In: Schröder, Richardson, Juancho, BOS 2022 2nd Round Swap

Yay or nay? Either side say no?

Gives us a solid foundation in the off-season:

Smart/Pritchard
Hield/Langford
Brown/Nesmith
Tatum/Horford
Timelord/Len

Then try to use the two largest TPEs for depth in the backcourt and wing.

Re: Idea: Move Tatum for a Big 3 & Build Around Jaylen
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2021, 07:56:23 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
From Boston's perspective, to get Lillard and Simmons for Tatum, Horford, Langford, and a 1st isn't horrible.  I don't think we would (or should) trade Tatum unless he started a "I want out" type of thing but an interesting idea.

For Philly, to get McCollum, Langford, and a 1st for Simmons is probably less than they think they can get but more than they actually will get.  If I am Philly, I would take this deal (but they probably wouldn't).

The problem is Portland.  Tatum and Horford for McCollum and Lillard is probably not a good deal for them.  You are blowing up a fairly good team for a really good young player (Tatum) but one that probably doesn't want to be there.  They would be worse in the short term even if better in the long term (assuming they can keep Tatum).  I just don't see them doing this.

Fun idea to kick around, reasonably fair on value.  Maybe we see the Simmons- McCollum part of this but not the Tatum - Lillard part.

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2021, 08:47:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Why would you build around the far less valuable of the two players?

The idea rests on the presumption that Lillard and McCollum both want out. If that’s the case, we all know how much Simmons’ value has gone down. If Portland really wanted to rebuild around Tatum, with a friendly smile in Horford to ease the transition, perhaps we can turn Tatum into a definite, albeit 31 years old, superstar (Lillard) and a potential superstar (Simmons). Maybe the 76ers are forced to come to the table and deal Simmons to us because Portland agreed to Tatum/Horford/1st for Lillard/McCollum otherwise. Frankly, moving Simmons for McCollum (probably an all-star if he played for Philly) and a first at this point would be a stroke of enormous luck for the 76ers. Heck, I’m 50/50 on whether I’d rather have McCollum or Simmons, giving the nod to the latter simply because of his age and the hopes this ordeal will light a fire under his butt to finally up his FT and FG shooting.

Unlikely to happen, but clearly there’s no other way to turn any of our assets into two incoming all-stars to pair with one of our two all-stars. And perhaps the JB fans are right, the guy is just going to keep climbing and ultimately be better than JT…
I ask again, why would you get rid of the best player in the trade for a slight upgrade (i.e. not good enough to win a title) in depth for a season or two and only to be much worse going forward? 

I just don't see the point in that trade from Boston's perspective and there is no way Portland does it at all.  It is quite simply a bad trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Trade Deadline Idea: Hield & Len
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2021, 09:55:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not seeing the appeal for Sac. 

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2021, 10:14:43 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Schroeder is a better fit than hield..can’t having Smart as starting PG
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2021, 10:18:26 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
BOS In: Hield, Len, SAC 2022 2nd Round Swap
SAC In: Schröder, Richardson, Juancho, BOS 2022 2nd Round Swap

Yay or nay? Either side say no?

Gives us a solid foundation in the off-season:

Smart/Pritchard
Hield/Langford
Brown/Nesmith
Tatum/Horford
Timelord/Len

Then try to use the two largest TPEs for depth in the backcourt and wing.

The C’s need to keep Schroder. He’s the only pure point guard on the team and the offense is so much more fluid with him in the game. 
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2021, 10:38:23 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I asked in the Knicks game thread..Tatum for Randle who says no. I think the answer is clear now.

No.

Randle is 4 years older than Tatum. Go back and look at his numbers at the same point in their careers and Tatum is clearly better. People keep comparing Tatum to players that are older than him with more experience and expecting him to be as polished. Those players are great now, but don't ignore the growing pains it took them to become who they are.

Folks wanted and pushed for the youth movement for forever. Now we're here and they can't stomach it. Who would've thought?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2021, 10:57:50 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
The Kings already have 3 point guards. Replace Schroder with Nesmith or Langford, and I think this deal does make some sense for the Kings (mostly due to future cap savings since they appear to want to move on from Hield).

Romeo/Nesmith, Richardson (2/24), Juancho (1/7) for Hield (3/61) and probably a minimum type salary not in the Kings rotation. I can get behind a deal like that. Having a true shooter like Hield around Brown and Tatum would make us quite dangerous. We actually generate a lot of open 3s; we just don't have the catch-and-shoot guys to knock them down consistently.

Of course, it would have been simpler to have just re-signed Fournier as a shooter if we go for someone like Hield, so I don't actually see them pursuing it even though it makes some sense to me.

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2021, 11:17:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I asked in the Knicks game thread..Tatum for Randle who says no. I think the answer is clear now.

No.

Randle is 4 years older than Tatum. Go back and look at his numbers at the same point in their careers and Tatum is clearly better. People keep comparing Tatum to players that are older than him with more experience and expecting him to be as polished. Those players are great now, but don't ignore the growing pains it took them to become who they are.

Folks wanted and pushed for the youth movement for forever. Now we're here and they can't stomach it. Who would've thought?
Age aside, Tatum is better than Randle right now anyway.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2021, 11:48:54 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
not seeing the appeal for Sac.

Yeah, this is essentially Richardson and expirings, because Schroeder has limited value to the Kings given their current quantity of PGs.  Makes sense only if the Kings are trying to get out of Hield's contract and just want to clear the books as quickly as possible.  Given that his contract declines in value over the years, that seems unlikely.  C's would at a minimum need to give up a prospect of value I should think.  Probably no need to include Schroeder, either -- the salaries work without him.

I'm not the biggest Hield fan, but I think Sac could do much, much better than this.

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2021, 11:55:04 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I wouldn't trade Tatum for every player in the proposal. The idea of trading Tatum is insane.

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2021, 01:41:08 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Why would you build around the far less valuable of the two players?

The idea rests on the presumption that Lillard and McCollum both want out. If that’s the case, we all know how much Simmons’ value has gone down. If Portland really wanted to rebuild around Tatum, with a friendly smile in Horford to ease the transition, perhaps we can turn Tatum into a definite, albeit 31 years old, superstar (Lillard) and a potential superstar (Simmons). Maybe the 76ers are forced to come to the table and deal Simmons to us because Portland agreed to Tatum/Horford/1st for Lillard/McCollum otherwise. Frankly, moving Simmons for McCollum (probably an all-star if he played for Philly) and a first at this point would be a stroke of enormous luck for the 76ers. Heck, I’m 50/50 on whether I’d rather have McCollum or Simmons, giving the nod to the latter simply because of his age and the hopes this ordeal will light a fire under his butt to finally up his FT and FG shooting.

Unlikely to happen, but clearly there’s no other way to turn any of our assets into two incoming all-stars to pair with one of our two all-stars. And perhaps the JB fans are right, the guy is just going to keep climbing and ultimately be better than JT…
I ask again, why would you get rid of the best player in the trade for a slight upgrade (i.e. not good enough to win a title) in depth for a season or two and only to be much worse going forward? 

I just don't see the point in that trade from Boston's perspective and there is no way Portland does it at all.  It is quite simply a bad trade.

This.

As the Cs, you *might* consider that trade if you believed simmons’ lackluster playoff performances and current antics are just an aberration - that really he’s all-NBA or borderline. Problem is, I see no reason to believe that. Didn’t we just go through this experience with Kyrie, and see how destructive that kind of player can be? Do we want to add a less talented and even more high strung version of Kyrie to this team?

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2021, 01:47:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
nah
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2021, 02:14:08 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

No.

Age aside, Tatum is better than Randle right now anyway.

Oh, I agree. I don't think Tatum for Randle helps you now or in the future. It's the type of reactionary move that tends to backfire on franchises.

I'm just going along with the idea that if you really think Randle is better, consider the fact that it's taken him time to get to this point. I've said it a lot: people expect Tatum to have the savvy and leadership skills of an 8 or 10 year vet and that's not realistic.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2021, 03:14:36 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
How did this become about Randle?  I thought is was Tatum, etc. for Lillard and Simmons?  Are we flipping Simmons for Randle?  I still don't want to trade Tatum but I like Lillard and Randle better than I like Lillard and Simmons.

Smart
Lillard
Brown
Randle
RWilliams

That is a decent team but I don't want to trade Tatum.

No way I trade Tatum for Randle.  Randle is a nice PF, a nice player but I don't see this as a serious idea.