Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 220395 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25617
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The way this reads cracks me up, even if it likely wasn't his intent:

Jared Weiss: Derrick White on Joe Mazzulla winning coach of the month: “Staff’s been amazing. Joe’s been solid.”

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595

Jared Weiss: Derrick White on Joe Mazzulla winning coach of the month: “Staff’s been amazing. Joe’s been solid.”

Ha, that's hilarious.

Though this does go along with what Joe said when he won it in December.  Say what you want about the guy, but this is a great take, it's the kind of stuff I like to hear from my boss:

“But I think it’s a testament to what we’re building and what we’re creating. So it’s a testament to the staff. I wish they would change it to staff of the month because I’m not doing it by myself. I’m not the one controlling scouts, I’m not the one making the edits, I’m not the one doing the matchups during the game or coming up with lineup suggestions. That’s the entire staff.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877
A win tonight vs OKC  would help cement Joe’s reputation . Difficult game , possibly OT that might be decided who by coaches the better game and makes the less mistakes.

Honestly the outcome of a regular season game won't reflect much on Joe's legacy.  It could help boost confidence, perhaps, but ultimately it's going to be meaningless from an evaluation standpoint.  The track record is established:  he can lead a team to wildly successful regular seasons, while his playoff performance has some question marks.

Joe Mazzulla has lost one playoff series in his coaching career.  He lost that series in a Game 7 where his best player was injured in the first quarter.  How much should be read into that?  His team also came back from being down 0-3 to tie the series and probably would have made history had Tatum not got injured.

Mazzulla has coached nearly two full seasons but that one bad week in the playoffs, where Miami's bench players shot 50% from 3, outweighs everything else?

I know this debate is getting tired.  There is no definitive way to judge a coach.  Everyone can draw their own conclusions.  There is no way to separate the coach from the players.  Popovich was a way better coach when he had Tim Duncan.  He has been a lottery team coach for several seasons now.  But he is a legend, understandably.

Go down 0-3 and it is the coach's fault.  Come back to tie the series, and it is in spite of the coach.  Lose game 7 when the best player gets hurt, more questions about the coach.  Win coach of the month, it is just the regular season.  As I said, everyone is going to draw their own conclusions on a coach, it comes with the territory, but there just seems to be no balance in the strong opinions.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
A win tonight vs OKC  would help cement Joe’s reputation . Difficult game , possibly OT that might be decided who by coaches the better game and makes the less mistakes.

Honestly the outcome of a regular season game won't reflect much on Joe's legacy.  It could help boost confidence, perhaps, but ultimately it's going to be meaningless from an evaluation standpoint.  The track record is established:  he can lead a team to wildly successful regular seasons, while his playoff performance has some question marks.

Joe Mazzulla has lost one playoff series in his coaching career.  He lost that series in a Game 7 where his best player was injured in the first quarter.  How much should be read into that?  His team also came back from being down 0-3 to tie the series and probably would have made history had Tatum not got injured.

Mazzulla has coached nearly two full seasons but that one bad week in the playoffs, where Miami's bench players shot 50% from 3, outweighs everything else?

I know this debate is getting tired.  There is no definitive way to judge a coach.  Everyone can draw their own conclusions.  There is no way to separate the coach from the players.  Popovich was a way better coach when he had Tim Duncan.  He has been a lottery team coach for several seasons now.  But he is a legend, understandably.

Go down 0-3 and it is the coach's fault.  Come back to tie the series, and it is in spite of the coach.  Lose game 7 when the best player gets hurt, more questions about the coach.  Win coach of the month, it is just the regular season.  As I said, everyone is going to draw their own conclusions on a coach, it comes with the territory, but there just seems to be no balance in the strong opinions.

The team repeatedly came out flat in the playoffs, blew big leads, lost games that it shouldn't have, made no adjustments, etc. Just because we beat Atlanta and Philly doesn't mean that those were well coached series.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1454
Question, I know some of the people who left were Ime Udoka's guys. But last offseason they added a bunch of assistant coaches and other assistants as well as JVG to aid Mazzulla and give him his own staff. Umm... are they actually guiding Mazzulla or getting in his ear about stuff? Because if not, what was the point? I thought they were supposed to theoretically help Mazzulla unless you're telling me Mazzulla doesn't listen to them or they are sort of "hands off". I mean, can't JVG or Cassell tell Mazzulla to draw up non-Tatum plays, or shoot less 3s, etc.?

I just think this organization has a reliance on the 3-ball and analytics and this existed even with Ime + Stevens. People hype up Ime a ton in 2022 and yes, they made the Finals. But it wasn't like they got there easily, they took their foot off the gas pedal a lot, blew pivotal games and then come Finals were also outcoached and exposed in certain areas (ex. drop coverage). And even that season I remember people truly wanted to fire Ime after a rough start to 2021-2022.

I think this is an interesting split between we're actually observing versus what we perhaps want to be observing.

You're making one presumption and two assumptions:
Presumption: That the team is going to play differently after JVG & the assistants come in
Assumption: That the team is going to rely less on '3-ball and analytics' because of JVG & the assistants.
Assumption: That JVG & the assistants are 'obviously' going to tell Mazz that he needs to draw up fewer Tatum plays and shoot fewer threes.

What I don't understand is why we are refusing to entertain the idea that JVG and the coaching staffs are telling Mazz what they feel he needs to do with the team in order to maximise their chances of winning basketball games.

Many posters on the board have this tendency, and while it tends to run hand-in-hand with refusing to acknowledge that the offense is significantly different from what we had with Udoka, and (in more subtle ways, perhaps) different than last year, it also ignores the reality: we're winning a ton of games, so whatever the coaches are doing is clearly working.

If I am JVG, why am I going to say things that are going to lead to the Celtics winning fewer games? If I'm Sam Cassell, why am I going to say 'hey Jrue, back in my day, I used to get posted up by Mark Jackson he'd back me down for 15 seconds ' when the team is 59-16?

I think the main point about the new assistant coaches is that they would be more aligned with Mazzulla, more bought in to be on his staff, vs. those that thought they would be part of Udoka's staff but then got the rug pulled out from under them.

The team has a philosophy, that probably starts at the top with Stevens.  Stevens is going to hire a coach that reflects his core philosophies and then the coach is going to hire assistants that he feels will best support implementation of the philosophy.  I don't think any assistant coach was hired inject some different philosophy or to try and guide Mazzulla in a different direction.

As to Van Gundy, I have no idea what his role is or how much influence he is having on coaching decisions.  He has been remarkably quiet.  For all I know, he has been scouting college players or G-League players and not even interacting with Mazzulla.  It doesn't seem like he is involved with any discussions on what play to run at the end of games, but I have no way to know what he has been doing.

Exactly. The team was constructed to shoot a lot of 3’s and Brad has said on several occasions that he believes this is how the game should be played.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595

The team repeatedly came out flat in the playoffs, blew big leads, lost games that it shouldn't have, made no adjustments, etc. Just because we beat Atlanta and Philly doesn't mean that those were well coached series.

I do think it's interesting though the different lenses coaches get viewed through.

From a high level, Ime and Joe's playoff runs seem pretty comparable, save for one round.

Round 1:
In '22 The C's swept the #7 Nets.  Though the Nets were a rare #7 seed that people could see making the Finals.
In '23 The C's go to 6 against the #7 Hawks that nobody is scared of.
Udoka clearly wins this one (though does get bailed out not calling a timeout at the end of Game 1, a common complaint against Joe).

Round 2:
In '22 C's go 7 against a legit contender in the Bucks, never leading the series until Game 7 (down 0-1, 1-2, 2-3).
In '23 C's go 7 against a legit contender in the Sixers,  C's go down 0-1 and 2-3).
Both C's teams gave away home court and were playing from behind against legit contenders.

Round 3:
In '22 C's beat Heat in 7 without homecourt.  Failed to close at home in Game 6. Almost blew a 13 point lead in the last 3 1/2 minutes of Game 7.  A questionable Jimmy Butler pull up 3 with ~15 seconds left very possibly saved the game for the Celtics.
In '23 C's lose to the Heat in 7 despite having home court.   But maybe a Tatum ankle sprain away from beating them? Or a healthy Brogdon?
Both C's teams went to Game 7, and had lucky breaks that won them games ('22 Game 7, '23 Game 6).  Udoka's team does better, but it's not that different.

Finals:
In '22 C's blow a 2-1 lead, losing 3 straight by double digits.
In '23 C's gone fishing.

Sure there's nuances that can be argued either way (Udoka beat a #1 Heat, Joe lost to a #8 Heat is one way is one way, Heat were the same team just coasting through the regular season is another.  Or Joe's team was better with Brogdon, or Joe's team got unlucky with a Brogdon injury.  Or one team had the healthier Robert Williams, etc.).  But Joe got a lot more criticism for really very similar results.

If Joe had Udoka's run, I think people would complain about things they didn't overly complain about with Udoka.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
If Joe had Udoka's run, I think people would complain about things they didn't overly complain about with Udoka.

I doubt that very much. Why do you think it's true?  What evidence is there?

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322

130 pages of a Fire Joe thread. How long was the Fire Ime thread? Joe has coached the team longer, but was it even 80 pages? 70 pages?

People pop off on Joe after going 9-1 through 10 games.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

130 pages of a Fire Joe thread. How long was the Fire Ime thread? Joe has coached the team longer, but was it even 80 pages? 70 pages?

Ime took a .500 team and turned it into an NBA Finalist.

Joe took an NBA Finalist that also added Brogdon and lost to a #8 seed.

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Was there a Fire Ime thread? I just looked and didn't see one.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=105525.0

Interestingly, enough, started by one of Joe's most vocal fans.

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

This is why people have been saying this thread is a joke. Silence from critics when the Celtics are winning (80% of the time), and passion after a loss. Either the regular season wins matter or don't matter. Let's just try to be consistent.

I still haven't read one person state that Joe is an excellent or great coach. People are saying he's ok. The other side is saying "he sucks".
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 07:07:10 PM by green_bballers13 »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1454

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=105525.0

Interestingly, enough, started by one of Joe's most vocal fans.

So that’s actually not the Fire Ime thread. You locked that one. Also, I’m not some huge fan of Joe, I just don’t detest him like you do. I actually wanted Sam to get the job when Ime was let go. Just for the record..
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 738

Pure Freudian slip - he might not have intended it consciously, but he meant it.
One of our top BBIQ guys and his comment comes out very lukewarm, if you look at it honestly.
I have always thought there had to be at least a few of the players who see how incompetent Joe is.
Gotta think there are occasional, late nite, road-trip hotel conversations among select Celtics where our head coach is discussed.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877

My read on this is that the “staff” is much better this season. Last season it was Udoka’s holdovers. As to Joe, what is wrong with solid?