Author Topic: Chad Ford on C's  (Read 16350 times)

Re: Chad Ford on C's
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 05:37:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Danny has always kicked every tire, no news here at all.

Just that Danny is active and then Chad Ford's opinion on things.

Pretty much.

Also Chad Ford typically down on the Celtics, as he usually seems to be.  Giving us no chance to contend.  He is letting his opinion on that color the possibilities of what he things Ainge will do.

Again, no doubt Ainge has called about everyone.  But that doesn't mean he really has considered that much.  I believe Ainge knows this year could be very similar to last year and our team could very well be better equipped to beat Miami.

Chad Ford is pretty consistently misrepresented on this board. The fact is, he's one of the few 'insiders' who actually talks to real sources.

More importantly, it's very hard to blame him or any other objective observer for looking at the Cs and seeing a less-than-championship caliber team. If you were a Bobcats fan or a Blazers fan or a Kings fan, would you bet on Miami or Boston? OKC or Boston? LAC or Boston?

I think Ford's point is clear, and has some value. That is, more than simple tire kicking. Ainge gets that the time is now to either go one way or the other. So he's listening to all of it. If he can't improve their 'win now' chances -- something he likely feels they need to do to have a serious shot -- then he's going to consider, at the very least, more wholesale adjustments.

What Ford doesn't say, but I believe strongly is the case for the Cs and therefore a major factor, is that Pierce is not going to kept on his current contract this summer under almost any circumstances (other than a banner). He'll be offered a much lower 2 year deal -- say, $7-9mil a year. And who knows if he'll take it.

That likely increases the chances of a more lateral team-changing trade a little bit...

Great post.  TP.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 06:04:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Just want to make one thing clear.

Paul Pierce will either play for the Celtics next season at his full contract value, or not at all.  League rules prevent any other option.

The final year of Pierce's contract is partially garaunteed.  That is not at all the same as a team/player option.  The only way the Celtics can pay him less than his full value is to cut him from the roster by a certain date.  Once this is done, bird rights are lost.

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 06:13:19 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Paul Pierce will either play for the Celtics next season at his full contract value, or not at all.  League rules prevent any other option.

The final year of Pierce's contract is partially garaunteed.  That is not at all the same as a team/player option.  The only way the Celtics can pay him less than his full value is to cut him from the roster by a certain date.  Once this is done, bird rights are lost.

Don't know if the rest is true, but we don't lose his Bird Rights unless he signs with another team, or we renounce rights to him.

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 06:22:10 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Yep -- i get he has a partial guarantee.  But I don't believe this is true, yet have no source. Can you provide?

Example: couldn't Kris Joseph have resigned with the Cs on a 10-day contract after being released from his non-guaranteed contract? Didn't Harrellson just do this with the Heat?

Can't see why the Cs couldn't sign Pierce as a UFA...

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 06:25:49 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Don't know if the rest is true, but we don't lose his Bird Rights unless he signs with another team, or we renounce rights to him.

Doesn't waiving constitute the same thing as renouncing rights?  For example, we didn't have early bird rights to Wilcox after waiving him, correct?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 06:38:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Doesn't waiving constitute the same thing as renouncing rights?  For example, we didn't have early bird rights to Wilcox after waiving him, correct?

Nope, you can waive the same player you signed 3 years in a row, and as long as they don't sign with another team, you'd earn his bird rights.

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 07:00:20 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
And the sky is blue!

Seriously though, this is at least slightly interesting, just because it confirms the smoke we have already been seeing, coming from a very plugged in source.  Chad Ford has his weaknesses, and has a major Euro fetish, but he also is one of the more connected "insiders" not named Wojo.  So, if he is hearing that the C's are making everyone available, I believe it.

Of course, it doesn't mean they have reasonable estimations of their players values...but it definitely sounds like they are not sitting pat.

He's really good

1. Wojo
2. Spears
3. Marc Stein

The best IMO

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 01:41:38 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
What a joke.

"I'm not trying to have it both ways, but I stick with my story; either Rondo is getting traded or he isn't." 

Lame.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 03:21:58 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
What a joke.

"I'm not trying to have it both ways, but I stick with my story; either Rondo is getting traded or he isn't." 

Lame.

Why do you have quotes around that? Not what he said...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
What a joke.

Lame.

I'm paraphrasing what he said.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 08:11:14 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I hate the make news out of nothing reports...

We are happy with the roster but if a deal comes up that makes the team better then we will make it.

Um, duh. That's your job. Great ground breaking journalist work Ford.

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 08:35:49 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
Crazy trade idea:
Four team trade:
BOS: out- Rondo, Bass (to Kings), Pierce (to Grizzlies), Green, Melo (to Jazz)
     in- Cousins, Evans, Salmons (from Kings), Gay (from Grizzlies), Millsap (from Jazz)

SAC: out- Cousins, Evans, Salmons (to Celtics), Honeycutt (to Grizzlies)
     in- Rondo, Bass (from Celtics), Pondexter (from Grizzlies)

MEM: out- Gay (to Celtics), Pondexter (to Kings)
     in- Pierce (from Celtics), Honeycutt (from Kings)

UTH: out- Millsap (to Celtics)
     in- Green (from Celtics), Melo(from Celtics)

Sacramento gets franchise player in Rondo, get rid of Salmons contract and time bomb in Cousins.
Memphis saves some money and with Pierce are real title contenders this year
Utah gets something for Millsap,opens minutes for Favors, gets upgrade in SF position, center prospect in Melo
Some draft picks can be included.
And after trade C's rosters would look:
EVANS / TERRY / BARBOSA
BRADLEY / LEE / TERRY
GAY / SALMONS / LEE
GARNETT / MILLSAP / SULLINGER / WILCOX
COUSINS / GARNETT / SULLINGER / WILCOX.

Our rotation of bigs (Garnett,Cousins, Millsap, Sullinger and Wilcox) would be best in the league.
Our backcourt of Evans, Bradley, Terry, Lee and Barbosa one of the most versalite, with defense (Bradley, Lee), shooting (Terry, Barbosa) and all-around talent (Evans).
And dropoff from Pierce to Gay isnt very big.

And best of all, look at the age of our future core:
STARTING LINEUP
Evans ('89), Bradley ('90), Gay ('86), Sullinger ('92), Cousins ('90)
BENCH:
Lee ('85), Millsap ('85).

I know its highly unlikely, but this is the only trade i would do where we trade Rondo and Pierce. It would hurt to see them go, but this trade would make us contenders next 10 years.
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 08:42:12 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
I have to defend Chad Ford on this one. If you have followed him over the years, you will notice that he has some contacts in the Celtics organization. He has interviewed Danny in the past and I think they talk from time to time. Overall Ford is pretty reasoned and does not throw bombs as it were.

Additionally he has long since given up his Euro fetish. He got Darko wrong. Ok. He admits is and frankly so did a lot of people.

For those Ford haters I leave you with this: In 2006 he ranked Rajon Rondo as the 6th ranked player on his board, the top point guard prospect. Most people slammed him for it. He also stated he thought Rondo would go to Boston at seven and if not most likely slide to Phoenix at 21. Look what happened. He certainly has some insight as to what Boston does draft-wise. We should cut him some slack.

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 08:59:39 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
I have to defend Chad Ford on this one. If you have followed him over the years, you will notice that he has some contacts in the Celtics organization. He has interviewed Danny in the past and I think they talk from time to time. Overall Ford is pretty reasoned and does not throw bombs as it were.

Additionally he has long since given up his Euro fetish. He got Darko wrong. Ok. He admits is and frankly so did a lot of people.

For those Ford haters I leave you with this: In 2006 he ranked Rajon Rondo as the 6th ranked player on his board, the top point guard prospect. Most people slammed him for it. He also stated he thought Rondo would go to Boston at seven and if not most likely slide to Phoenix at 21. Look what happened. He certainly has some insight as to what Boston does draft-wise. We should cut him some slack.

Personally, I'm not trying to hate on Chad Ford or make any comments about his career's work.  I just thought that the statements he made in this particular piece were completely bogus.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 09:08:06 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
What a joke.

Lame.

I'm paraphrasing what he said.

You missed his point. What he's saying is that according to a number of teams the Celtics haven't ruled out trading Rondo before the deadline.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)