Author Topic: I Hate the Spurs  (Read 20441 times)

Re: I Hate the Spurs
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2008, 04:34:09 AM »

Offline mustang

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
...and it isn't the flopping that I mind, it's the whining and drama. Ginobli et al will flop for as long as they get away with it, as long as the refs and the league look the other way. So will Sam Cassell. So will Rondo, Powe, Posey, Pierce, and most of the rest of the league. The only guys on the Celtics I've never seen flop are Kevin Garnett, Kendrick Perkins, and Ray Allen. Hate the sin, love the sinner...

And any basketball fan has to appreciate the total uniqueness that is Manu Ginobli-Parker is entertaining but can be neutralized (and will be by R. Rondo, if it comes to it, I think), and Duncan is all everybody says he is, but Ginobli is an artist. Him on offense, R. Allen's jump shot, the Nash-Marion connection (R.I.P., and on another plane than Nash-Stoudemiere, I think, however ruthlessly efficient they can be), the molasses-slow way D. Wade (and, lately, C. Paul) makes the game come to him, A. Jefferson's post game, Kirilenko weak-side on the defensive end (when he's interested), and Kobe mid-air are the most impressively poetic things in the recent NBA.  Ginobli plays the game like running water--really, the opposite of boring...

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2008, 01:43:02 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I find it funny that people call Duncan "boring." Are you one of the 2 people who didn't want the Celtics to get him in the draft?  I suppose if you don't jump out of the building and dunk with power then it's not fun to watch? And the Spurs have been very successful playing this kind of ball. I'd be happy if Boston could start winning like they do.
tp for that statement,wish they could also,real soon.

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2008, 04:20:24 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
While I don't quite "hate" the Spurs, I have to say that they bug me about as much as any team ever has. Don't get me wrong, they're obviously a great team, and have invested in veteran players and committed to keeping their core together as I feel more teams need to, and for that they should be admired.

Have to say though, watching Duncan roll his eyes and whine every single time he gets a whistle, has become very old. He has actually delayed games quite often with his need to complain and take his case to the officials. If you ask Timmy himself, I'm sure he'd say that he never actually fouled anyone in his life, and that it's a conspiracy left over from the Joey Crawford incident to just plain give him as hard a time as possible. (Frankly, as much as I don't care for Joey, I'm surprised he didn't walk over to the bench and slap Duncan silly, for mocking him and laughing at him with that smug "I-never-do-anything-wrong" look on his face, I for one wouldn't have blamed him, and that at least would have been worth the suspension he suffered anyway). Duncan's a truly great player ... and I can't stand him.

Moving on: Ginobili is a flopper, (and Duncan, and Bowen, and Parker, etc.), and let's face it, the Spurs have taught the Master Class in that subject for years. Of course, everybody does it to some extent, but the Spurs rely on it, and have turned it into an artform. Their never-ending complaints to the refs have seen to it, as the officials just plain get sick of hearing it, and would rather blow their whistles than hear any more whining from the Spurs. Who can blame them, really? Ginobili is the flag carrier here, however, and I swear he would rather spend time laying on the floor of an arena, smelling the odor of floor polish up-close and personal, than he would actually playing the game.

Bowen: Well we all know this subject matter all too well, and the mere fact that this human-being is still allowed to play in a professional sports venue, is an affrontery to the game of basketball, (the only worse such example is Mike Tyson, and that's not saying much). This guy should be in prison ... seriously. If some of the things he's done were done by Joe Schmoe on the street to another, there would be at the very least, an arrest for assault and battery. But, because he's a high-paid professional athlete, he has somehow avoided these punishments by paying a "fine", which amounts to a "drop-in-the-bucket" of his multi-million dollar contract.

Give me a break! This guy has broken ankles, (AI), kicked multiple players in the face, kneed uncountable groins, (who'd want to count them anyway?), kicked and punched other players in the head, back, legs, shoulders, etc., and on and on. The guy's a criminal in a basketball jersey, and the fact that any team would allow him to stay there is a sad statement of their priorities. This guy's been given more latitude than the equator, and is making big bucks for wreaking havoc on his fellow players every time he gets frustrated. Why wouldn't he? He's off the hook for the most part, (other than suspensions and fines), because he's a basketball "star"! Ah ... commissioner ... please? Nuff sed.

I agree that the Spurs are a great team, who can argue that with their recent record? They are well-coordinated, well-coached, powerful, many-faceted, and really one of the standards when considering how the game is played successfully. There's a ton to be learned, both positive and negative, by watching San Antonio, and there are ways that I wish the Celts were more like them. They're one of the best teams in the NBA, and probably will be for the next five years or so, at least. That said, they still bug me ... big-time, and each player is focused mainly on their own agenda. There's much more to a team than just how they play ... character, team-spirit, unity, dedication, integrity, and more, and in any of those "other" categories, the Spurs would be far down on the list of good examples. I'd personally take a hard-working, hustling, heart-filled, dedicated young team over them any day of the week. A team like say ... oh, I don't know .... the Celtics?

P.S. - Boston has started winning like "them" ... ten games more, in fact, in the regular season. Maybe it would be more accurate to say the Spurs would be happy if they could start winning more like the Celtics do.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 04:31:49 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2008, 09:10:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

P.S. - Boston has started winning like "them" ... ten games more, in fact, in the regular season. Maybe it would be more accurate to say the Spurs would be happy if they could start winning more like the Celtics do.

You do know the Spurs don't care about the regular season record anymore as long as they are a top 4 team in the West.

Spurs and there 4 rings are a team I would love to see the Celtics play like.  Play the best ball in the playoffs.