Author Topic: Money well spent  (Read 1296 times)

Money well spent
« on: June 25, 2019, 06:18:52 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
The maturation of Robert Williams using a private coach/life coach.Holding him out of summer league and not rushing his tendonitis..Having his apartment within walking distance to Auerbach Center. He had a front row seats to absorb and learn from the best.Add to that a season to adjust to travelling and NBA lifestyle.
Without a concerted effort by staff this talent may have fallen through the cracks,
Now he has three new rookies to motivate him and is surrounded with young role models.

Marcus won the NBA hustle award to add too All Defensive  -that makes him an all star in my books.

Romeo has tools and is the kid in our new rookie class but his size and wingspan will aid him to become special.A really good shooting coach maybe a Drew Hanlon program
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 06:27:38 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Money well spent
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 06:41:55 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Sorry, money well spent on who? Marcus?

If so, yeah, that was an absolute bargain in hindsight
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 06:47:20 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
A private coach /lifestyle coach for Robert Williams.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 07:03:36 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I find it pretty alarming that a professional athlete needs to be near his workplace so he won’t be late, have a life coach so he won’t be late, and needs motivation from a few rookies. Imagine how that would look for an employee who was NOT a professional athlete.

Williams needs to be self motivated. He can sleep in the Auerbach basement, or have a host of babysitters (let’s call it what it is) and none of it will make a difference if he doesn’t have the drive.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 07:08:40 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 07:06:42 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Duplicate post

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 07:30:50 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I find it pretty alarming that a professional athlete needs to be near his workplace so he won’t be late, have a life coach so he won’t be late, and needs motivation from a few rookies. Imagine how that would look for an employee who was NOT a professional athlete.

Williams needs to be self motivated. He can sleep in the Auerbach basement, or have a host of babysitters (let’s call it what it is) and none of it will make a difference if he doesn’t have the drive.

In a way it proves that those who raised questions about his discipline and focus last summer had a point

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 07:55:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

In a way it proves that those who raised questions about his discipline and focus last summer had a point
I don't really know about all that. Seems like Eddie just wants to take issue with Rollie's post itself, for whatever reason
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 07:59:30 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

It doesn't prove anything.  This is just a repeat of what we've heard.

Not sure what is so surprising or alarming about a 20-year-old with maturity/work-ethic issues.  Has he ever held a full-time job?  Frankly, I'm surprised this doesn't come up more often with young players.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 08:21:13 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

I wish I had a life coach when I got my first job. All I had was my mom calling me at 6.30am every morning to make sure I woke up  :-\
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 08:34:12 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker

Problem solved and Robert has not had an issue going forward

Jason Tatum brought his mom and she lives in apt same building.Then soon after was to follow a baby.
Jaylen Brown brought his best friend who was later commit suicide

Williams coming from a small town in Louisiana to a big city up north after being cocooned on a college campus.With Williams never expected to reach 27  and  had no tryouts or interviews.

I read stories of Okafor and Nerlen Noels poor adjustments to being responsible and lifestyle.
Fultz forgot how to shoot.
Simmons went Hollywood and instead of finding a jump shot he settled for a Kardashian.
Bird on the edge of fulfilling his dream  went crazy over a girl.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 09:16:53 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 08:43:51 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

I think this is too critical of Williams. Some young people are mature and can take care of themselves, some need structure and guidance. If a little structure helps Williams maximize his ability and contribute to the Celts, then by all means they should give it to him. There's a good chance he will mature and be more responsible as he gets older.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 08:46:20 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Not really, more that there was a proactive approach to how he should be handled. We haven't really heard anything about Williams' lack of focus or motivation since he first became a Celtic. I understand that having a life coach sounds lame, but he was a 20 year old kid in the middle of a major transition. Some people just take a little time to adjust.

The fact that Williams was put into a situation where it would be difficult for him to fail (being close to practice facility and having help with his responsibilities) is great. He should know that the Celtics are behind him and he is in a nurturing environment. To succeed, sometimes you just need to feel comfortable.

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 09:00:27 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

It may help you to consider that he was 19-20 years old and wasn't really prepared for a disciplined life. There are a substantial number of very successful people walking around today that were doing bong hits and waking up at noon when they were that age.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 09:14:20 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I don't think it's fair to criticize someone for a weakness and also criticize them for their willingness to address and improve their weakness through a responsibly planned course of action.

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 09:50:03 AM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1668
Delonte West would make a great life coach. That would be money well spent.