Author Topic: Is the idea NOT to shorten the rotation?  (Read 2898 times)

Is the idea NOT to shorten the rotation?
« on: March 03, 2010, 02:25:49 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Could doc  &  danny be thinking of not shortening the rotation anytime soon and through playoffs?
Our second unit can clearly outplay most other teams.  Is the idea to get this group working smoothly and use them to wear other teams down?  Many times this year it has been the subs who have held or increased leads and generally speaking played with passion/hustle etc.
If this was the idea it would keep pp, kg and rays minutes down.  I want paul & ray with legs to hit end of game shots and for all three (of the big 3) to work their butts off on defense.  This would also give our bigs plenty of fouls to work with
kg, perk, davis, 'sheed and yes sheldon, play as hard as you can if you foul out so be it, we have guys who can step in
dunno?

Re: Is the idea NOT to shorten the rotation?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 02:28:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I think Doc will keep going 10 deep until the end of the regular season and then switch to a 9 man rotation for the playoffs.

I think Tony Allen will be the odd man out. No longer a rotation regular but will see some spot minutes based on need.

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 02:29:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think Doc will keep going 10 deep until the end of the regular season and then switch to a 9 man rotation for the playoffs.

I think Tony Allen will be the odd man out. No longer a rotation regular but will see some spot minutes based on need.

Agreed.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 02:31:07 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Agreed.

Yup.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 02:31:52 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
So you are saying our rotation is 2Short then?

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 02:32:11 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1

Agreed.
Me 2

That makes the most sense and in years past it has always been Tony that disappeared from the rotation

I wouldn't rule out a shortening of Davis' minutes either though I don't see him getting shut out in the playoffs
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 02:32:31 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
maybe
i think tony gives us as much good as bad but he can guard the bigger guards really well
i think davis almost does the same thing, he does good things but can also hurt you
I however look at our second unit, 'sheed, daniels and nate..  :D  you have to like these guys against any benches in league
It also could just be an extended gell period with the injuries we've had this year.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 02:35:57 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
maybe
i think tony gives us as much good as bad but he can guard the bigger guards really well
i think davis almost does the same thing, he does good things but can also hurt you
I however look at our second unit, 'sheed, daniels and nate..  :D  you have to like these guys against any benches in league
It also could just be an extended gell period with the injuries we've had this year.

Come playoff team, everyone's going to be shoring up their rotations.  The times of a full 2nd team running against another full 2nd team will be gone.

It's going to be combo starter/sub mix out there at all times.  Big Three's minutes will go up. 

My biggest concern is what combos Doc goes with.  Gotta get away from Sheed/BBD at the same time. 

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 02:38:48 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
maybe

Come playoff team, everyone's going to be shoring up their rotations.  The times of a full 2nd team running against another full 2nd team will be gone.

It's going to be combo starter/sub mix out there at all times.  Big Three's minutes will go up. 

My biggest concern is what combos Doc goes with.  Gotta get away from Sheed/BBD at the same time. 
I understand this is the norm but I'm wondering if our bench is good enough (and i feel it is) that our subs can play extended minutes maybe as a group and change the dynamic of game from our starters.  Maybe not play better (or def. i should say) but change things.  Also if they can hold leads or improve leads then....why not?

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 02:41:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
maybe

I understand this is the norm but I'm wondering if our bench is good enough (and i feel it is) that our subs can play extended minutes maybe as a group and change the dynamic of game from our starters.  Maybe not play better (or def. i should say) but change things.  Also if they can hold leads or improve leads then....why not?

No, its not good enough.  You won't see extended rotations or even 1 starter + 4 subs out there unless the game is out of reach one way or another. 

The problem is that opposing teams are not going to be throwing 5 subs out there against our 5 subs.  These teams will most likely still have 2 starters out there on the floor. 

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 02:49:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
maybe

I don't think the bench is good enough to do that.

Glen Davis and Rasheed Wallace have been a very poor big man combination. Their inability to provide effective team defense leaves the Celtics overly vulnerable on that end of the floor. Marquis Daniels and Tony Allen are both incapable of hitting jump shots at a respectable level.

The five man bench unit regularly hurts the team's intensity levels + the time on the bench regularly hurts the starters rhythm which takes them time to get back once they return to the court.

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 02:53:13 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
previously it always seemed like doc would keep ray or paul with subs (which makes complete sense)
lately it seems like it rec ball and he's basically subbing entire team and leaving 5 subs out there (and they have been doing well) hence my question

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 02:56:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
previously it always seemed like doc would keep ray or paul with subs (which makes complete sense)
lately it seems like it rec ball and he's basically subbing entire team and leaving 5 subs out there (and they have been doing well) hence my question

I think that's being done solely for the purpose of keeping the Big Three's minutes down and trying to maintain health going into the playoffs. 

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 03:35:21 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Apprently they are not ready to shorten the rotation as they are looking at bringing in someone else like Finley in. Is he taking TA's minutes? Are they bringing him in to sit on the bench? It's all very confusing to me.