Author Topic: Sullinger season stats so far: 50.7% FG, 100% FT, 100% 3pt  (Read 4901 times)

Re: Sullinger season stats so far: 50.7% FG, 100% FT, 100% 3pt
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 12:23:26 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
He plays atrocious defense.

Hopefully some GM out there gets enamored with Sully's offensive #'s and trades us a REAL big man.

I loathe undersized, slow-footed, no-defense, all-offense PFs.  UGH!

Didn't I see an article recently that talked about how HORRIBLE Anthony Davis has been defensively this year?  That the Hornets become such a dramatically worse team when he's on the court? 

This is for a guy who was hailed as the next KG, and a guy who people said was a sure thing on defense, but uncertain on offense.

Also people are WAY overrating how bad Sully's defense is.  Maybe you guys haven't watched any games since the first week but he's already improved a LOT, and lately he's actually been pretty good.  When he's defending 1-on-1 he's defended better then most guys on our team, he's just a little slow with team defence.  That probably has somethign to do with the fact that he's played 15 games with the team and 15 games as an NBA player.

He's numbers aside, he's one of our most important players right now.  He brings more to this team (on a more consistent basis) then Bass does ALREADY.  If I had to trade one, I would trade Bass (even though I do like him on the team).

Kid works his butt off every night, give him a break.

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 02:17:56 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
For what it's worth...Hollinger has Sully ranked 13th in PER for all rookies.  6th in Rebound rate.  8th in True Shooting.

He's ranked 44th overall for all PFs.

Interestingly...Chris Wilcox has the 3rd highest True Shooting % in the league.
He's 10th in statistic efficiency among Rookies

#1 - Anthony Davis (when he plays) - 20.0
#2 - Damian Lillard - 17.3
#3 - MKG - 14.2
#4 - Jonas V - 12.3
#5 - Kyle Singer - 10.4
#6 - Drummond - 10.4
#7 - Barnes - 10.2
#8 - Dion Waiters - 9.8
#9 - Alexey Shved - 9.6
#10 - Sully - 8.4

He aiight... about what you'd expect from a late 1st rounder who is our 3rd best big man by default.

For rookies who are averaging at least 12 minutes per game.... Efficiency per 48 minutes Sully is 8th (actually ahead of Damian Lillard who is averaging over 37 minutes for the Blazers... hence his big stats)

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 02:23:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Efficiency is a bad thing to look at, its pretty much all about how much you shoot.

You can raise it by chucking shots at anything greater than a  33% clip.

Sullinger's usage is at 14.3% taking only 4 shots a game or 9 shots per 36 minutes.

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 02:32:16 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I think sullinger has been the steal of the draft honestly...its not often you see rookies performing like him on "contending" teams.

he looks more like a veteran out there than someone who has played just 15 NBA games.

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 03:42:07 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
He plays atrocious defense.

Hopefully some GM out there gets enamored with Sully's offensive #'s and trades us a REAL big man.

I loathe undersized, slow-footed, no-defense, all-offense PFs.  UGH!
If you actually think he plays atrocious defense then you have no ability to analyze basketball. Sorry dude but your just repeating what you may have read, not what you see. The dude is a good defender.

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, 03:43:40 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
I think his team defense is even worse than his man to man defense. Gets completely lost in rotations and is slow when he's not lost.

Forces others to rotate down and surrender wide open shots from the next player.
Yall are watching some other games because you are as wrong as can be. He wouldnt be able to draw the charges he does if he was never in position. He also wouldnt be playing if he wasnt rotating. Sorry dude, but, your wrong.

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 03:50:35 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
Reading some of these comments really makes me realize how lacking alot of yalls ability is to analyze talent. He does everything right. Good thing you guys aernt the coach.

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 04:00:57 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
That's hard work on Sullys part puts the time in
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 08:21:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think his team defense is even worse than his man to man defense. Gets completely lost in rotations and is slow when he's not lost.

Forces others to rotate down and surrender wide open shots from the next player.
Yall are watching some other games because you are as wrong as can be. He wouldnt be able to draw the charges he does if he was never in position. He also wouldnt be playing if he wasnt rotating. Sorry dude, but, your wrong.
He's not never in the right spot, he's trying but screws up a lot.

He did look good against the Blazers but who didn't on the Cs!

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, 08:31:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He can shoot but we really need him to rebound more than anything.   It's nice he has some touch but we need boards.

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 08:45:45 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
For the record, Sullinger's defensive rating this season is a 105. That's not terrible. Not elite, but not terrible.

Anthony Davis this season is not much better at 104.

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 09:02:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
He can shoot but we really need him to rebound more than anything.   It's nice he has some touch but we need boards.
He's been rebounding pretty well, 15.2 RR. His defensive board work could use some improvement but he's doing a good job on both ends when he's in.

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

He's not never in the right spot, he's trying but screws up a lot.

He did look good against the Blazers but who didn't on the Cs!

Apparently these Blazers are a good defensive team.

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 09:05:28 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
SUlly is adjusting his game to NBA , playing taller & Quicker players every game requires tweaking for sets.  In college , he could work at 75% energy and still dominate most teams .  Here he has to learn and know each and every man 's weakness and tendencies work on new moves while learning a complex "D". It takes a while to deveople a complete NBA game. He'll figure out how to get open looks for jumpers, and how to put the ball in down low.  Just gonna take some serious work , but he's only 20 .

I think by seasons end .   10 points /8 rebounds/game would be nice contribution by a rookie 20th pick.

His defense is improving somewhat.

I think the Celtics lucked out getting Fab, KJ and Sully, and at the same time dumped JJJ and picked up Lee.

In the big picture the rookies will pay off.   

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 10:23:36 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
SUlly is adjusting his game to NBA , playing taller & Quicker players every game requires tweaking for sets.  In college , he could work at 75% energy and still dominate most teams .  Here he has to learn and know each and every man 's weakness and tendencies work on new moves while learning a complex "D". It takes a while to deveople a complete NBA game. He'll figure out how to get open looks for jumpers, and how to put the ball in down low.  Just gonna take some serious work , but he's only 20 .

I think by seasons end .   10 points /8 rebounds/game would be nice contribution by a rookie 20th pick.

His defense is improving somewhat.

I think the Celtics lucked out getting Fab, KJ and Sully, and at the same time dumped JJJ and picked up Lee.

In the big picture the rookies will pay off.

good points above. just in terms of stats, right now sully is 5th on the celtics in reb/game. (4.3 reb/game in 17:37 min.)

but projected to 30 minutes a game for comparison purposes, sully is 1st on the team (or really close to it). pretty good for rookie. i am happy with this pick by the celtics so far.

his defense...i can see what you mean when you say his defense is improving. yes, i agree. but looking at him against portland he still has a LONG way to go to pick up on the defensive schemes and switches.

so often he would switch at the wrong time (early/late) or to the wrong guy. he would wind up double teaming someone without the ball as a result.

but this too will improve with time and experience.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva