Author Topic: 2017 Red Sox Thread  (Read 51722 times)

Re: 2017 Red Sox Reg. Season Thread
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2017, 12:57:41 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Rainy day around here.

Pretty much setting us up for the sweep  :(

Also Fenway Park apparently still has tickets available for the game. SAD!

But guess I can't blame the fans.. this team has been absolutely pathetic in the 1st two games and it would be one thing if they had hard fought losses, but none of them have been.

If they do get swept, FIRE FARRELL, and find a POWER BAT (or 2) in FA or via trade.

I've defended Farrell long enough but getting swept a second straight year in ALDS with all this talent is just unacceptable.

Yeah, I mean I don't hate Farrell, but I think it's time for a new face.

And I am all for trading for a power bat, but would rather not sign one via FA. It's like every big FA we signed this past decade ends up being massively overpaid and is beyond a disappointment. I know it shouldn't make a difference how they are acquired, but it seems to in the Sox case.

I'd agree but signing a FA with just $$$ seems wiser than say... trading prospects/players for Stanton and that massive contract.

JD Martinez, Hosmer, Jay Bruce - options in FA.

If you want to trade for an upgrade, trade Bogaerts. 0-9 in 2 playoff games, ANOTHER 2nd half slump, and the SCOTT BORAS CLIENT isn't worth the 100M+ contract he will get in a few years.

I'd much rather keep Nunez and his .310 avg (15 HR ability at Fenway) than X-Man (slightly overrated IMHO). His defense may be poor but Bogaerts' defense isn't exactly elite either.

Oh, I get that I am being irrational. Signing a FA is almost always better than trading top tier prospects (although the Sale deal and that amazing contract was fantastic); it's just that the Sox can't seem to catch a break on their FA signings.

Not sure what the heck happened to Bogaerts or any of the Sox hitters. Even some of our best pitchers fell off a cliff or got injured (Porcello, Price, Wright, Rodriguez) at the start of the season. It's amazing we made the playoffs, at all.

I will be interested to see who we bring in next season. We can't go forward with Ramirez and Betts as our top power hitters, especially when the HR ball is 'trendy' again.

Yep, well said. TP.

And it's sad that in the year where "HRs were king", the Sox were like dead last in hitting HRs.

It's showing in THIS series too. Astros have 6 HR to Boston's 0.

Sox have to claw and scratch for each run, and the Astros just hit solo shots or 2-run shots very quickly. Both irritating and sad to see. Like you can tell the Sox are trying to drive in runs but they simply don't have the power to hit HR's (except for Betts, Ramirez who have also underwhelmed this season and playoffs).

My guess is, JD Martinez is their Plan A option, Hosmer Plan B, and trading for Stanton is a Plan C/D option (if he's truly made available in trade talks).

Marrero apparently is great friends with Hosmer and they played together before MLB, so that could help in recruiting.

TP back at ya.

I'm just not sure how I hope the Sox approach FA this year. I would be pretty dissatisfied if we paid $23M+ to Martinez to be a DH (and is going to be 30) or Hosmer who hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

Stanton's contract is insanity. I get what the Marlins were doing when they signed him to it - they were able to get a few extra years of him at a bargain price before shipping him off to the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, etc. The 59 homeruns were incredible, but it's not like he has ever come close that before. I am not sure taking him on for 10 years / ~$300M is exactly the smart thing to do, but I do like him better than Martinez/Hosmer. He would also help solve the face of the franchise issue.

Yeah I understand all that, it's all risky, but they have to do something, because going into the 2018 season with a similar lineup (aka no power or true home run threat) would be a big L, and unfortunately could just lead to more of the same. They need to find a power bat somewhere, someway.

I wonder if in a Stanton deal, they could ask MIA to eat up say $45M, so that Boston gets the remaining 10/250M (remaining 25M/Year), and they give MIA like 2 good/decent prospects, another "meh/lottery" prospect, and maybe Bogaerts OR JBJ. (Then re-sign Nunez)

Something like that if they go towards the trade route.

But I would NOT trade a Devers, Betts or Benintendi in any Stanton deal, no way (unless MIA ate like half the contract which they obviously won't)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: 2017 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2017, 01:35:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Farrell is just an awful game manager. Never a set lineup. Stupid substitutions. Overworking pitchers. I mean, we substituted Deven freaking Marrero for Devers simply because Devers is a lefty. Unreal.

I wouldn't have a problem trading for Stanton. His contract for the next 3 years is actually pretty reasonable. Its the back end of that contract that is troublesome. But Stanton in Fenway would be 40+ HRs most years.

« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Game over. Season over.

Fister taken out after 1.1 innings and giving up 3 runs.  :(

Fenway Crowd seems dead and I don't blame them one bit.

This should be an eventful off season, that's for sure.

But WHAT A CATCH by Betts there!!! OH MY!  (only real highlight so far)

« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2017, 04:06:21 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Game over. Season over. [/b]

you sure? ;)

« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2017, 04:21:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Game over. Season over.

I know you were probably too young to remember, but if the 2004 ALCS taught Red Sox fans anything it's that it is never over as long as there's innings to play.

« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2017, 04:58:01 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Devers saved our division lead when he was called up, now he's saving our postseason. He and Betts are the only real bright spots in the lineup, which is going to have to be improved somehow next season, most likely at 1B.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2017, 05:47:09 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Game over. Season over. [/b]

you sure? ;)

Game over. Season over.

I know you were probably too young to remember, but if the 2004 ALCS taught Red Sox fans anything it's that it is never over as long as there's innings to play.

To be fair, I was only 7 years old during the 2004 ALCS lol (currently 19), so I honestly only remember a little of it. Everything after (from 2005 Patriots Superbowl and beyond) I remember pretty good. 2002 and 2004 Pats SB + 2004 Red Sox World Series, not as much honestly.

Devers saved our division lead when he was called up, now he's saving our postseason. He and Betts are the only real bright spots in the lineup, which is going to have to be improved somehow next season, most likely at 1B.

Yep, and Hanley has been PHENOMENAL TOO (just hit a go-ahead double and now Sox lead 7-3).

That catch by Betts saved the season for now, too. Otherwise Astros would be up like 6-0 in the 2nd inning.

UPDATE: Now Sox up 10-3 lol.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:55:55 PM by Phantom255x »

« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2017, 07:12:05 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
Went to the game tonight, absolutely appalled by the fight and heart that I did not honestly expect from the Sox. Looking forward to tomorrow's game 4! I guess its not over until its over ☺
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2017, 08:40:18 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Went to the game tonight, absolutely appalled by the fight and heart that I did not honestly expect from the Sox. Looking forward to tomorrow's game 4! I guess its not over until its over ☺

That's great to hear! I'm guessing the atmosphere was dead in the 1st inning though especially when falling behind 3-0 :P

At least that's what most were saying on social media (I couldn't watch so was just using Gamecast on phone/laptop).

Rainy day tomorrow though, so will be interesting to see if they can play Game 4 or not tomorrow, otherwise it's likely on Tuesday (which could mean Sale starts since he will be on 4 day rest).

« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2017, 09:46:57 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'm just glad they showed some fight and we got the opportunity to see what Price had to offer in this role.  It was honestly the most promising aspect of the playoffs for me, and I'm glad it panned out.  The way the managers use starting pitchers and the way starting pitchers seem to implode (maybe that's not mutually exclusive), having a guy doing what Price is doing is vital to a team's success in the playoffs these days. Of course it doesn't matter diddly if you're down six runs. 

Hanley was pretty awesome today. 

Porcello in game 4? 
Yup

« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2017, 01:42:34 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Porcello gave up 1 run in the 1st inning and didn't look good, but due to the state of our rotation, gave us the best 1st inning of the series LOL.

Bogaerts 1st hit is a HR to tie it though!

This will be REAL tough without the services of Price out of the bullpen though, and Porcello doesn't look great either (reckon he gets pulled soon).

« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2017, 02:00:41 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I don't know how they are playing in this rain and mud
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2017, 02:43:54 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
Several opportunities to put points on the board and we're coming up short...

That bases loaded and zero out opportunity is beginning to sting a little.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 02:51:30 PM by dwlefty13 »
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2017, 02:44:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not sure how many more chances we'll have.

No outs, bases loaded
Benintendi being thrown out followed by Moreland's double
Hanley's almost HR followed by Moreland being thrown out at plate (I know why they sent him)

Either we'll keep on hitting or Houston will settle down and pull away. This is not a recipe for success - especially in the post-season.

« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2017, 02:52:51 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
Not sure how many more chances we'll have.

No outs, bases loaded
Benintendi being thrown out followed by Moreland's double
Hanley's almost HR followed by Moreland being thrown out at plate (I know why they sent him)

Either we'll keep on hitting or Houston will settle down and pull away. This is not a recipe for success - especially in the post-season.

Hopefully the former, we keep hitting and break through. It would be a dosheartening way to end the season with all these opportunities and only the 1 HR to show for it.
Let's Go Celtics!!