Author Topic: Tommy & Gorman Have Right Idea On Kawhi-to-Boston Rumors  (Read 23082 times)

Re: Tommy & Gorman Have Right Idea On Kawhi-to-Boston Rumors
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 06:10:21 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
"There's something not right about that whole situation in San Antoni with Kawhi Leonard," Gorman said, adding: "When something goes south in an atmosphere that players thrive in, it makes you wonder."

This Gorman thought to me is what would give me hesitation to get him on our team.  That coupled with some injury (muscle/thigh?) that has basically kept him out for a year.

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 08:59:08 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
eye on the prize

Tatum- Irving -Davis.  .....coached by CBS.

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2018, 09:06:44 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The Celtics are in the driver's seat with 3 all star max guys starting alongside two budding all star talents still on rookie deals. 5 all star talents in the starting 5. One shouldn't tinker with that. Really, it would take an Anthony Davis (replacing Horford) to improve that 5.

The bench looks pretty good if we can bring Monroe back. He's showing to fit well and be a 20/10 threat off the bench, and his passing is fantastic. And Rozier, who I'm high on, could drop 20, and Morris as well, and I like our 1-8 for a title run next year, with or without Smart.

Kawhi seems not worth the risk. We've got a good thing going.

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2018, 09:09:09 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Kawhi would give us a better shot for the title for the next couple years, but once he starts on the backside of age 30 Tatum could very well at least be his equal by then.  Then you factor other assets to get him it would be very hard for me to pull the trigger.

I’m being greedy but I want a long sustained run at contending like the Pats and Tatum and Brown give us a chance at that.

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 09:14:22 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Well Tatum is untouchable but I don't think Jaylen is untouchable.

If Kawhi is healthy I would explore Brown, Rozier, Smart and a premium pick for him.

Kyrie, Hayward, Kawhi, Tatum and Horford is virtually unbeatable and they can all defend various positions.

I'm not pushing for it but if he's available you have to put in some calls.

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 09:26:45 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If there were no salary matching rules and no luxury tax, we’d have to make that trade. Kawhi is a top-5 player.
Top 5 players play

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 10:31:45 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If there were no salary matching rules and no luxury tax, we’d have to make that trade. Kawhi is a top-5 player.
Top 5 players play

Eh. We saw what happened when IT played through pain. There’s probably a lesson there.  His toughness and loyalty to the team cost him tens of millions.

Conversely, we’re seeing a top-15 player (Kyrie) decide not to play through pain in order to take care of his body.

Being ultra-conservative while protecting an asset (in this case, Kawhi’s long-term health) is not necessarily a character flaw.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 10:40:13 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Top 5 players play

Eh. We saw what happened when IT played through pain. There’s probably a lesson there.  His toughness and loyalty to the team cost him tens of millions.

Conversely, we’re seeing a top-15 player (Kyrie) decide not to play through pain in order to take care of his body.

Being ultra-conservative while protecting an asset (in this case, Kawhi’s long-term health) is not necessarily a character flaw.
Right, he can be counting his money when sitting out another year from a contusion or soreness, i have no problem with that, best for him i guess

Just not on the celtics

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 10:57:32 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Top 5 players play

Right, he can be counting his money when sitting out another year from a contusion or soreness, i have no problem with that, best for him i guess

Just not on the celtics

Agree....you are not worth a tradenforva major asset when you have controversy swirling around you.

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2018, 11:08:34 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
I think a Horford, Brown, Rozier, and a couple of good picks will do it (give or take)... With Kawai due for another contract the C's will have some leverage in negotiations...

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2018, 11:16:45 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Top 5 players play

Just not on the celtics

Kyrie is skipping the playoffs for what basically amounts to soreness. It’s an extremely reasonable decision, too.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2018, 11:27:33 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Kyrie is skipping the playoffs for what basically amounts to soreness. It’s an extremely reasonable decision, too.

I thought Kyrie was on schedule to return, but then came down with a bacterial infection and removing the screws became a very necessary decision. Was there a report that said the infection wasn't serious and he could have put off the removal of the screws?

I am not trying to put you on the spot - I just had a different understanding of what happened.

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

I thought Kyrie was on schedule to return, but then came down with a bacterial infection and removing the screws became a very necessary decision. Was there a report that said the infection wasn't serious and he could have put off the removal of the screws?

I am not trying to put you on the spot - I just had a different understanding of what happened.
This, Kyrie is trying to come back, that's why he take the first minor surgery instead get it all done at once
And no, an infection from the plant isn't going to go away until you pull off the plant

Honestly i don't see any comparable at all

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2018, 11:40:32 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He could have put off the first surgery. He could have taken antibiotics to put off the second surgery. In each case, it was simply an issue of pain tolerance, rather than structural stability.  He didn’t get an infection due to the first surgery; it was pre-existing and wasn’t causing systemic issues. It was causing local site pain.

That’s what’s going on with Kawhi: pain that he doesn’t want to play through. Kevin McHale played through pain. So did IT. Can we blame players who don’t want to risk their future?

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2018, 11:44:08 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

He could have put off the first surgery. He could have taken antibiotics to put off the second surgery. In each case, it was simply an issue of pain tolerance, rather than structural stability.

That’s what’s going on with Kawhi: pain that he doesn’t want to play through. Kevin McHale played through pain. So did IT. Can we blame players who don’t want to risk their future?

you also have to imagine the Celtics front office is looking at it from the perspective of the chances of us winning a championship this year vs. having Kyrie Healthy when we have Hayward back next year and can truly put together a run for banner 18.

As fun as this years team is. Once Hayward went down, I think our ceiling was limited.